Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie!

Default Re: Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by NigelKoh View Post
    Not saying that i've totally no interest in photography. My uncle is using a Canon 10D and i like to use it.. Find it really nice to use.. Am willing to learn from scratch..
    Good for you then...

Start READING up on the subject and learn more on the terms you'd need to understand, e.g. lighting and how the 3 ratios affect each other.

Next up, budget yourself. Photography can be expensive as you add on more and more gear.

A basic beginners kit (can start from anywhere around a few hundred to thousands, depending on model and wether first or second hand)

Lenses (you'd add more along the way, factor for that later on)

Dry cabinet (with our high humidity in SG, it's a strong requirement unless you wish to risk your lenses being infected with fungus, again cost varies to size of cabinet)

Cleaning kits (get a basic cleaning cloth and soloution and a blower, the rest can be added on later)

Accessories (tripods, remote release, external flashes, more memory, etc.... all these require more money)

So... plan and see how you can fit your basic stuff into the budget.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Good for you then...

Start READING up on the subject and learn more on the terms you'd need to understand, e.g. lighting and how the 3 ratios affect each other.

Next up, budget yourself. Photography can be expensive as you add on more and more gear.

A basic beginners kit (can start from anywhere around a few hundred to thousands, depending on model and wether first or second hand)

Lenses (you'd add more along the way, factor for that later on)

Dry cabinet (with our high humidity in SG, it's a strong requirement unless you wish to risk your lenses being infected with fungus, again cost varies to size of cabinet)

Cleaning kits (get a basic cleaning cloth and soloution and a blower, the rest can be added on later)

Accessories (tripods, remote release, external flashes, more memory, etc.... all these require more money)

So... plan and see how you can fit your basic stuff into the budget.

Thanks.. Have gone to the library and borrow some books on photography...

Sorry to those who feel offended with my first post..
    15 yr old young learner..

Sorry to those who feel offended with my first post..
    I'm not offended by your post and I don't think others are. It's just that your question cannot be clearly answered to as you see from the example about "Channel 5". That's why you got lots of feedback telling you to read more. When people tell you to read more, use search functions etc it is not because your question "is not up to their taste" but because a lot of information are already available here. Many members have contributed time and efforts and have collected and summarized information. They are now made sticky in the subsections. Reading them will answer many questions (also those you haven't asked yet ).
    Enjoy!

hey nigel, not to worry re the comments. i guess some may sound a little harsh but they just want you to be sure you know what you're getting into. SLR photography is an expensive hobby, and what more with economic recession etc might want to consider the economic burden. you're lucky if your parents can afford it (because eventually it's your parents paying, even if you're saving pocket money, right?), there is no shame in being rich!

i got my first SLR, a Canon 3000V when i was in uni working part time as a tutor, so budget was really tight. but this site, http://photo.net/learn/making-photographs/ convinced me that you don't need to have top-dollar equipment to start learning SLR photography. the thing about going around snapping pictures just using 50mm prime lens ($105 new) is true!

i only use canon, other brands may be more affordable, but if you're looking for entry level DSLR, 450D body goes gor $970 brand new, check out the prices here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...184322&page=43

can also get cheaper stuff at the buy and sell section of this forum. hope this helps!

get a nikon dude

Is this price only for the body or together with lens?..
    yup and brand new.
    "wisdom is not measured by the knowledge you know, but the knowledge you have"
    forever newbie: D60

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12