Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Assignment: What can we do to change the world?

Default Re: Assignment: What can we do to change the world?

hmmm, i din get a satisfactory answer for...

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    so wad do u suggest that can be done about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    I dunno as well, that's why it is an assignment if forumers want to do it. Was counterbalancing stuff about bad news in the press, and wondering if we can do something about it in a small, medium or large way. How can we, as a group of intelligent people, do something to help each other soften the blow of recession.

Here's nightmare's suggestions (and of course he has started his brotherhood )

The thread is open for other suggestions
    but i din get an answer for this below....

wad is brotherhood about, or specifically, how is it related to this topic?
    many here can research to check out facts den dun need to start a thread to spearhead efforts cos "Google is your Best Friend"!!

proactive peps dun need anybody to start a thread to get things going. they would already be on their toes, plan in mind doing something instead of groping in the dark for ideas. hey, this's good, that'z not bad too...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post

Dude, i asked 4 questions, the 1st question was this: Can anyone, esp those advocating clean energies to save the earth, enlighten me about the motivation for the shift to clean energy?, i.e. asking about clean energy in general. The 3rd question: And, if possible, the costs of all these?, i.e. the cost of a space power station and/or generic forms of clean energy.

You may be surprised, but this is really what some scientists want to work on. Wireless transmission of energy.

I'll be extremely interested in your views. Link please?

Actually, the question i asked was more like "What do you think are the costs and consequences of moving to clean energy?"

I'm interested in climate change, but not interested enough to start a whole new thread on this issue. In your opinion, after i asked those questions, did anyone ever give a satisfactory answer?

In any case, the responses i sometimes get when i ask the reason for clean energy are quite amusing. Would you like to hear them?
    Dude - No - I am not interested in laughing at other people's opinions. I respect that they have given the time to provide a response, what ever their opinion.

So why are you interested in climate change? And what do you fear about starting a thread on this?
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 16th February 2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

hmmm, i din get a satisfactory answer for...
    And what would you like the answer to be?
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 16th February 2009 at 08:15 AM.
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    wow....... i am so late here and all so chimgology.......
    Sorry Sir Tupi, here is a list so far of suggestions from CSers:

- Free Hugs campaign

- Help those around us in our community

- Join a voluntary welfare organisations - click here

- Persue sustainability

- Send a message of peace to Tess for her last and final journey in 2011

- Forgive somebody

- Post about something or someone that has inspired you?

- Post URLs that inspire you such as TED

And what would you like the answer to be?
    are u seriously thinking of crafting an answer that way?

for someone with ideals like.....
    How cool would it be to have an inspirational section of this forum with photos of folks making a positive difference to their environment.........

....and so when we are feeling down we can turn to this section "Inspirational Folks"...just a thought for the admins for a starter
    selectively quoted from http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...40&postcount=7

such a reply is certainly far from inspirational, frankly rather clueless about it all. "i dunno" (from earlier quote before this post) is disappointing to say the least. no idea can do without strong fundamentals, the person in the centre of the picture needs more conviction. there are questions un-answered, is ignoring them a good idea?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Sorry Sir Tupi, here is a list so far of suggestions from CSers:

- Free Hugs campaign

- Help those around us in our community

- Join a voluntary welfare organisations - click here

- Persue sustainability

- Send a message of peace to Tess for her last and final journey in 2011

- Forgive somebody

- Post about something or someone that has inspired you?

- Post URLs that inspire you such as TED
    wow......

I believe that many people want to help and they have been doing it along their way, it's just that our approaches are different and ways of doing it. Sometime talks are really free and worst, some might just rub it in, to think about it. The amount of time to entertain those "debates" can SAVE WHOLE LOADS OF LIVES (if want to be exaggerated enough)

actually i have created a thread just for sharing, anyone who find something that they love to share where it's inspired them or things that they want to share for goodwill. But the thread not very active.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428690

Honestly, i know what you mean of starting this thread. Personally, have something in mind but not yet start to do it, still kind of doing research for it.

U can PM me if u are interest to know the idea. MSN?
    Last edited by Tupi Guy; 16th February 2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    wow......

I believe that many people want to help and they have been doing it along their way, it's just that our approaches are different and ways of doing it. Sometime talks are really free and worst, some might just rub it in, to think about it. The amount of time to entertain those "debates" can SAVE WHOLE LOADS OF LIVES (if want to be exaggerated enough)

actually i have created a thread just for sharing, anyone who find something that they love to share where it's inspired them or things that they want to share for goodwill. But the thread not very active.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428690
    Hey Sir Tupi - that is very cool!

Dude - No - I am not interested in laughing at other people's opinions.
    Ohkaay.....then how about laughing at your own opinions?

qn: And the objective of adopting and switching to renewable (solar or wind) technology is what?

your ans: Yeah - you're right - screw the planet. Bring on the oil, kill the rain forest. After all who cares about the future of this planet.

Dude, since when does asking about clean energy equals wanting to screw the planet??

So why are you interested in climate change? And what do you fear about starting a thread on this?
    Climate change is fascinating, wouldn't you agree? So many people are interested in it, yet so little we know. Ever heard of people trying to model the Gulf Stream? Some think the melting ice will disrupt and destroy it, others think it will merely slow down and pick up again. Some partial answers lie in CFD simulations, but as with any typical problem, there are computing resources issues and numerical issues.

How about cloud cover? Will rising temperatures cause more or less clouds? Clouds provide a feedback to counter temperature rise, since they reflect light back into space. Again simulations may provide some answers, but how good are the models?

Ever seen the weather satellite maps of s.e. asia? Every few months a hurricane forms in the region between the Philippines and Taiwan. Why? What will rising temperatures cause? More or less hurricanes? Some models predict more hurricanes, but if you look at the data of hurricanes kept in the United States, whether in severity or frequency, it doesn't really match the hockey stick trend seen in global CO2 concentrations.

Then there are economic/political issues. Certain companies specializing in clean energy have set up shop here. Why? What carrots are they receiving? Why is sg so eager to get into clean energy research? What about alternate energy? Fuel cell research has been going on for more than a decade here. What has it shown, and what are the opinions of scientists in the field?

As for your last qn, i couldn't be bothered with a new thread. Remember, all 5 questions i asked went unanswered. If you like you can set one up. Will drop by if time permits.
    Last edited by ArchRival; 16th February 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Yes was being facetious to see where you were trying to take the question!

Anyway dude thank you for sharing your thoughts here.

I'll create a new thread on this at the end of the week......see what the CSers think.....

In the meantime if you are more interested on further discussions about global warming try a science forum like this one here and look at Environmental Issues for global warming.
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 17th February 2009 at 03:04 AM.

More often than not shouldn't we try to learn to reconcile the tensions in
    our friends, colleagues, neighbors including those we exculusively get
    to know in cyberspace?

Why don't we collectively develop ethics that can keep up the challenges
    of new technology yet not allowing the world to fall apart either in
    the economic sense, in climate change or the underestimateed global warming?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likewise forums should also develop ethics to keep up the
    challenges of serious discussions in areas like human
    behaviors and belief systems!

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    More often than not shouldn't we try to learn to reconcile the tensions in
    our friends, colleagues, neighbors including those we exculusively get
    to know in cyberspace?

Why don't we collectively develop ethics that can keep up the challenges
    of new technology yet not allowing the world to fall apart either in
    the economic sense, in climate change or the underestimateed global warming?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likewise forums should also develop ethics to keep up the
    challenges of serious discussions in areas like human
    behaviors and belief systems!
    wat tok u??

For those who has been discussing about how to and what to to help the global issues etc.

here a little link for you as it might be a little good start.

Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Default Earth Hour

Yes, backing up Tupi's vid for Earth Hour and to call to action - http://www.earthhour.org/home/

Switch off all electrical appliances at
    20:30 on the Saturday 28th March for at least one hour

....be part of a worldwide action!

....and something to make you smile:

Default Re: Earth Hour

Yes, backing up Tupi's vid for Earth Hour and to call to action - http://www.earthhour.org/home/

Switch off all electrical appliances at
    20:30 on the Saturday 28th March for at least one hour

....be part of a worldwide action!

Okay...let's do that... so see you online at CS at that time to chat about it ya?!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Okay...let's do that... so see you online at CS at that time to chat about it ya?!!! LOL
    running on batteries?

i better get some solar lamps from toyogo so i can at least see my feet tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    running on batteries?

i better get some solar lamps from toyogo so i can at least see my feet tonight.

I am going to be out of the house. Then only power I will be drawing is from my legs which will be powering my mountain bike !!! heheh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    First of all you need support!

Second of all you need connections!

Third of all, you might need money!

Forth of all, this will unlikely/rarely happen in Singapore as Singaporeans do not dare to take risks and generally too afraid to speak up or stand up to be counted.
    This is too kiasu answer.

A change doesnt mean a change made by spending millions of dollars or getting millions of support/funds.

Even if u refuse to take a plastic bag in supermarket, it can be said that u are making "a change" to the world.

If a person refused/reduced to use a plastic bag a day, imagine billions of people who don't use plastic would make a big change to the world already.

I hope u got what i mean.

closed down clubsnap website and server during EARTH HOUR to save electricity.

20 minutes left for an hour of silence - can clubsnappers do it?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast