Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment: What can we do to change the world?

Default Re: Assignment: What can we do to change the world?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i knew you would talk about me!

join my brotherhood!!!

anyways, how's the snow treating ya?
    halo, pls come out a proper form for membership la, then those who are interested can apply
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    halo, pls come out a proper form for membership la, then those who are interested can apply

i am trying to change the world

ya, it's changing everyday
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    I dunno as well, that's why it is an assignment if forumers want to do it. Was counterbalancing stuff about bad news in the press, and wondering if we can do something about it in a small, medium or large way. How can we, as a group of intelligent people, do something to help each other soften the blow of recession.

Here's nightmare's suggestions (and of course he has started his brotherhood )

The thread is open for other suggestions
    u 1 2 counter SPH?!

wad is brotherhood about, or specifically, how is it related to this topic?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Okay think you might like looking at the Superhero's Registry!!

Ordinary people who decided to take a stand ......to inspire, lead and fight injustice!
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

The world has changed while you sleep in -2 degree.
    Last edited by Sion; 6th February 2009 at 05:15 AM.

Ordinary people who decided to take a stand ......to inspire, lead and fight injustice!

It is indeed an honor to have people like you
    in the forum who at this stage realised it is time
    to put things together by gathering people with
    light minded thoughts (without much worries)
    so that the world could benefit from the
    combined efforts.

Bravo and congratulations for this selfless thinking.
    There should be many other methods to spearhead the
    project other than what "brotherhood" has done.

betta just stick to Cos-playing!.. hmmm, shoot organisers can use some of their "inspiration" here.

btw, u are Powerwoman, Queen of Hearts or Black Arrow?

Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 6th February 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    betta just stick to Cos-playing!.. hmmm, shoot organisers can use some of their "inspiration" here.

A superhero does not reveal their identity!!!
    Please refer to the FAQ
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

Please refer to the FAQ
    They only reveal their tyres!
    I'm a cow with a camera

Please refer to the FAQ
    i name you

the TYRE MATRON

i name you

the TYRE MATRON
    blasphemy!...this means an invasion is due

blasphemy!...this means an invasion is due
    please join our brotherhood

we all want you as the IRON TYRE MISTRESS

I'm quite shy

hmm Iron Tyre Mistress

......wikki says:
    A mistress is a man's long term female sexual partner and companion who is not married to him, especially used when the man is married to another woman.
    Ice ain't no-one's mistress! Van where are ya woman?
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 7th February 2009 at 06:49 AM.

Freddie and the Dreamers - never took himself seriously.......Prince clown of rock and roll.....
    successful in the 60s and made people happy!

Last edited by Lady Ice; 7th February 2009 at 06:51 AM.

Hi....

Very interesting topic. What can we do to change the world?

I felt that usually when such topics were discussed, individual contributors would normally voice out ideas based on their personal yardstick and standards. All relative to certain standards and vision of the person himself.

Ask different people in different parts of the world and you'll get really broad spectrum of ideas and thoughts. You will get from many different perspective. Here are some areas where normally people would touch on...

- economy
    - poverty
    - environment
    - education
    - lifestyle
    - religion
    - race
    - ethics
    - the world
    etc.....

I'm not trying to discourage any of such good efforts, but coming back to reality, there seem to be some level of disconnect most of the time an the FINAL goal is usually not Unique. As each topic or goal objectives could be interpreted differently by each individuals, most of the time due to the non concerted effort and clear OBJECTIVE the outcome may not be that great.

Just to share my personal thoughts on this, "What can we do to change the world?" topic. I guess, my personal OBJECTIVE is for the sustainance of this world it self - whats in it....as it lasts. As a muslim, I believe in the day of judgement which is an unknown factor. So as long as I live in my lifespan, my personal goal is to do my best to contribute to the sustainance of this little earth. But how? This is the most important thing.

As we all know, now the earth is rather sick. Global warming and other environmental problems associated to it. Why? How come? It all happened probabaly because somewhere, someone, some time back had the same thought of "What can we do to change the world?".

Emergence of new ideas, research, technology...engineering, gadgets etc. All because some one had the same thought on "What can we do to change the world?".

-----------------------------------(Imagine)----------------------------------
    Take for example a community of indegeniuos people in say an Island XXX. These people live really side-by side with nature. So called "uncivilised" maybe because they do not wear any clothes, or pee in the bushes and have long unshaved beard and body hairs. Eating from plates carved from wood and eating off banana leaves. Even if they live like this through generations, I guess the world would still be as it was, natural and untouched (maybe).

One fine day, comes Mr Colonisation, land on this island. He saw these indegenious people and then thought of "What can we do to change the world(this Island)?". He made some plans, made rules and decided that he's going to the following:
    - chop off the large granite hill of this island, and ship the stones back to his original country.
    - Give these Indegenious people clothes to cover themselves.
    - Build a resort on this Island and take out these indegenious people from their fishermans life and make them work in the resort.
    - make a small airport so that holiday go'ers could access the island and transportation of logistics to sustain the new activities of the island.

All these went well as planned. Yes, this Mr Colonisation did avery great job!! He Changed the world(island)?. BUT, not long down the years, this Island XXX start to get problems such as:
    - pollution related problems where waste management was not cared for
    - fishing quality drops and people had to resort to Imported food.
    - The once dense jungle full of natural source of herbs and natural remedies is now gone for the sake of the new airport.
    - River mouth full of floating plastic mineral water bottles...

Not long...the Island had to turn itself into a manufacturing place with cheap labour as the tourist spots lost its shine.....They had to make a port to allow container ships to go alongside. Not long, they lost thier dependency on their local fising industry and had to import processed food from neighbouring countries. This island has transformed to a once natural and beautiful island.....to a busy little polluted island...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The short imaginary story seem to have some similarities to whats really happening around us. Seems like the more advance we get, the more materialistic we get, the more problems we see happening to nature and this world. Could we pull the hand brake? Anyone ready to do that?

What do you think? See what we have done. How to undo these damages. I'm from the electronics industry. I have been to many suburbs in many places in Asia and see things like a semiconductor or PCB factory build smack in the middle of a housing estate and see how waste material gets leaked out to local dainange and maybe even seep through to the local water sources. Been and stayed in a manufacturing city in a country where they make LCD displays and you could see the green slimy river beds and drainage alongside these factories... OOOOhhh!!!!What have we done...???!! I dont think we could turn back the clock...

Has Innovation taken its Toll and slowly leading to Destruction.....? just for the sake of some people pocketing great $$$$$ in this consumer economy....

Dilemma?............We don't want Peace alone. We want the Sustainable Earth. Thats what we are all here for.

cant imagine how far heroes have fallen- become mistress.

no wonder dun 1 2 reveal identity....

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    and you want to be the New Emperor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    and you want to be the New Emperor?
    .... who never have enough mistresses?

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan View Post
    Just to share my personal thoughts on this, "What can we do to change the world?" topic. I guess, my personal OBJECTIVE is for the sustainance of this world it self - whats in it....as it lasts. As a muslim, I believe in the day of judgement which is an unknown factor. So as long as I live in my lifespan, my personal goal is to do my best to contribute to the sustainance of this little earth. But how? This is the most important thing.
    Guess the start is to Reduce what cannot be reused or recycled.

Reuse what you can.

Recycle as a last resort.

Been and stayed in a manufacturing city in a country where they make LCD displays and you could see the green slimy river beds and drainage alongside these factories... OOOOhhh!!!!What have we done...???!! I dont think we could turn back the clock...
    Yes, there are many irresponsible companies manufacturing in countries that do not have enough legislation on effluent wastes. There are western companies that produce in these areas and take advantage of the lax rules. They would NEVER do this in their own country. Sadly a number of oil companies in South America have been polluting the amazonian river. It came to light as the local folk were affected. If you google for it, it'll make ya sick! And yet we have such a large dependency on oil for fuel.

Dilemma?............We don't want Peace alone. We want the Sustainable Earth. Thats what we are all here for.
    Whaddya think of this vid?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast