Thread: Being a backup photographer. Rules/ethics...

Default Being a backup photographer. Rules/ethics...

Hi!

I've never been a backup photographer before. Is there any rules that must be followed, so as not to get in the main photographer's(paid) way? How do I ensure that I will not bother him too much until he decides to take lousy photographs?

E.g.: Dun tok to him while he's taking photos...

Thanks...

Default something to share

hello,

something to share...
    just gif him/her first priority in everything/every shot. remember u're not being paid to do the shooting, while he/she is. he/she has to do the job more concisely and thoroughly than u ever need to.

just get out of the way if necessary! let him/her has full control on how the composition of group shootings and table-table shooting goes. don't interfere, things might get ugly!

hopefully the person covering the fotography event has some years of experience under his/her belt... u can learn alot too just by observing how they go about doing their work.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

there's no hard and fast rules, but the best advice i can give is, always talk to the main photog before the event. work out what's acceptable to him (obviously, since he's the one who has to deliver the goods) and you should be fine.

for me, if i were the main photog, there's a few things i make clear first:-
    - don't block my way when there are impt shots to be taken (e.g. champagne toasting time, don't come and fight with me for the best angle to snap the couple).
    - concentrate on the candid shots, since as the main photog, i'll be worrying about getting the impt stuff in first before going for candids.
    - don't come and bug me for spare memory cards/film or other accessories which you forgot to bring or don't have. if you're not prepared to shoot, don't.
    - other than that, i'm free and easy.

for me personally, the table to table shootings are not back-up photographers' diet of choice, at least for me...... meaning, u can skip these shots as they will be covered by the paid photographer.
    u jus try to get those 'moment' shots... maybe some candid shots which the paid photographer might miss.

and if ur photographs are on the whole much better than the paid ones, which is quite probable, u will just have the pleasure of seeing the displeasured looks on ur 'just married' friends' or relatives' faces... they could have saved a fortune just by asking u to shoot...

which of course is not the main aim as to why u back-up... but it could be a personal challenge? with all the odds against u, not to get in the way, having second or third priority('lousy' locations and viewpoints, totally unstrategic for tkaing shots that are the 'moment'). wow, that's some challenge.

just don;t get into fights with the paid photographer.

haf a nice weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    there's no hard and fast rules, but the best advice i can give is, always talk to the main photog before the event. work out what's acceptable to him (obviously, since he's the one who has to deliver the goods) and you should be fine.

for me, if i were the main photog, there's a few things i make clear first:-
    - don't block my way when there are impt shots to be taken (e.g. champagne toasting time, don't come and fight with me for the best angle to snap the couple).
    - concentrate on the candid shots, since as the main photog, i'll be worrying about getting the impt stuff in first before going for candids.
    - don't come and bug me for spare memory cards/film or other accessories which you forgot to bring or don't have. if you're not prepared to shoot, don't.
    - other than that, i'm free and easy.
    yup, i totally agree with larry's views and points.
    converse with the paid photographer and lay down some rules... haha

Thanks guys!
    U all R great help indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    and if ur photographs are on the whole much better than the paid ones, which is quite probable, u will just have the pleasure of seeing the displeasured looks on ur 'just married' friends' or relatives' faces... they could have saved a fortune just by asking u to shoot...

which of course is not the main aim as to why u back-up... but it could be a personal challenge? with all the odds against u, not to get in the way, having second or third priority('lousy' locations and viewpoints, totally unstrategic for tkaing shots that are the 'moment'). wow, that's some challenge.
    Hehehhe.... Am shooting backup next Sunday and I'll take this as a personal challenge.......