Thread: HDR from just one RAW file

Default HDR from just one RAW file

It is possible to do a HDR image from just one RAW photo, since one can adjust the exposure to get different levels of tones. Anyone tried before? Can share your technique?

Default Re: HDR from just one RAW file

I'd like to know this too.

AFAIK from what I read,generally not really,from a underexposed image to a overexposed one,will create a lot of noise,if you take a correcetly exposed,i believe it's possible to overexpose to a certain limit but cannot underexposed and get back the same tonal value
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

yes, it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar View Post
    It is possible to do a HDR image from just one RAW photo, since one can adjust the exposure to get different levels of tones. Anyone tried before? Can share your technique?
    Of course it can be done... in any case you are doing all this in Photoshop. And just to give you abit of history...before this feature or name was made-up? We graphic designers have been doing this for a long time. Just that we do it manually. We take the picture and duplicate it and use one as the main working file and then we brighten the photo in another and use all the brigthen details portion to copy and paste to the main working file and then use another duplicated one which we now darken overly bright portions and then we copy and paste that on to the working copy....and bingo we got a "HDR" shot and in fact, truth be told it looks hard to spot then a HDR. So yes if you take the same shot and you keep on without changes and the the other two you brighten one and darken the other and then you rename them all as difference photo file names and then you just add them all to the HDR plugin to do the work for you.

Yes can be done. For example Photomatix can perform the single RAW processing with a few clicks.

But the dynamic range that you can pull will be more limited than bracketting a few shots at different exposures, and can be noisier depending on how rigorous you process that single raw.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Yes can be done. For example Photomatix can perform the single RAW processing with a few clicks.

But the dynamic range that you can pull will be more limited than bracketting a few shots at different exposures, and can be noisier depending on how rigorous you process that single raw.

Ryan

Yup.... I use Photomatix for my HDR.... Just using 1 RAW file and using PhotoShop Lightroom to increase and decrease the EV by 1 or 0.5, then using Photomatix to join all 3 photo together.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Yup.... I use Photomatix for my HDR.... Just using 1 RAW file and using PhotoShop Lightroom to increase and decrease the EV by 1 or 0.5, then using Photomatix to join all 3 photo together.
    Actually u can just drop the RAW file into Photomatix and start tone mapping straightaway on the pseudo-HDR without breaking it up into 3 seperate exposures manually and do HDR again on them.

Ryan

yep ive done it before with just one raw file... particularly useful for action shots but some claim its not "true hdr".. personally i dont care it looks good :P

heres a few ive taken of some of my friends:

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by spidey89 View Post
    AFAIK from what I read,generally not really,from a underexposed image to a overexposed one,will create a lot of noise,if you take a correcetly exposed,i believe it's possible to overexpose to a certain limit but cannot underexposed and get back the same tonal value
    Not quite... It also greatly depends on the dynamic range of your sensor. This is one area where larger sensors help.
    Alpha

used Photomatix to do this.
    Quick and Easy

PG
    M8 - M2 - Voigtlander R3A - 50 cron v5 - 75 cron - 35/2.5 CV classic - OMD - few M42's

Thanks for all the replies and input. I will try it out, BTW is the Photoshop HDR plugin free? I don't have that in my PS.