Thread: Newbie question

Default Newbie question

Im using a FujilFilm Finepix S2000HD, and notice that there isnt any Av function on the camera.

Is there another alternative way to swap with the Av function?
    The Railway Enthusiast. Keretapi Tanah Melayu. KTM Intercity. Click for my DeviantART page

Default Re: Newbie question

Quote Originally Posted by Interception7 View Post
    Im using a FujilFilm Finepix S2000HD, and notice that there isnt any Av function on the camera.

Is there another alternative way to swap with the Av function?
    Av is a purely canon-specific naming convention. Other companies normally call it "A" for "Aperture priority". if you look at your camera, you'll see you have it.

Reading the manual helps too.
    Alpha

Read it already.

My camera dont have the Aperture priority mode on it. It only have P, S and M mode. No A mode.

Any alternatives?
    The Railway Enthusiast. Keretapi Tanah Melayu. KTM Intercity. Click for my DeviantART page

Read it already.

My camera dont have the Aperture priority mode on it. It only have P, S and M mode. No A mode.

Any alternatives?
    Well, you could use Manual mode, or learn to use P mode, which is close to what you may want.
    Alpha

Also, switching to Portrait style should try to keep the aperture open as much as possible.

But what exact effect are you trying to achieve?
    Alpha

Sometimes I see my teachers using the A mode on their camera. I seem interested in it. Having the near subject clear, far subject blur. Or the other way round.

But it seemed like when I use my camera, on any other modes, like S, P.. When I focus onto something, I would use focus lock and adjust my camera to have that subject clear, while the rest is blurred.

Do you get what im trying to say?

Sometimes I see my teachers using the A mode on their camera. I seem interested in it. Having the near subject clear, far subject blur. Or the other way round.

But it seemed like when I use my camera, on any other modes, like S, P.. When I focus onto something, I would use focus lock and adjust my camera to have that subject clear, while the rest is blurred.

Do you get what im trying to say?
    Yeah, but in this case you should learn to use M mode. You can independently adjust aperture and shutter speed then.
    Alpha

M mode.. So far i got the option to adjust the shutter speed, any speed that I want..

For the aperture value, when not zoomed yet, you can choose either f3.5 or f7 only. Once you zoom it will increase, and you can choose only two. Its either A or B, no C.

Read it already.
    My camera dont have the Aperture priority mode on it. It only have P, S and M mode. No A mode. Any alternatives?
    Read again. Check what parameters can still be changed when using other modes. Looking at the website I can see Portrait mode, which is usually aperture-driven (wide open). Also "Natural Light" sounds promising.

Hmm

I guess portrait mode is better.

I also see mentioned under Exposure modes "Programmed AE". Which means: in P mode you can change the aperture and the shutter speed will "follow" accordingly. Could also help achieving an aperture-driven exposure.

Hmm hey thanks, played around with it just now.

When i switch to P mode.. It said

SET SHUTTERSPEED, APERTURE

When i switch to M mode.. It said

SET SHUTTERSPEED, APERTURE

It's the same to me, only difference is that, for P mode, i can adjust the exposure level, whether to add or subtract. But for M mode, i can't adjust the exposure level as it will change automatically using whatever it senses..

There you see the meaning of "Programmed AE". In P the cam will keep proper exposure in mind, that's why you have the option of adjusting it in case you want something different then normal exposure. In M the camera will only tell you whether your settings would result in an underexposed or overexposed image. You don't adjust the exposure level, you adjust the parameters of the cam (shutter, aperture, ISO).

Btw: It's not "adding or subtracting" - the exposure and its adjustment is expressed in steps. One step is either half the light (-1EV) or double the light (+1EV) as compared to normal exposure (+/-0EV). Read about exposure and you'll see how to achieve the steps.

What programe do you always put your camera at?

Auto? P? S? M? Scene mode?

I put mine as P mode.. Sometimes portrait..

I dont know which to put.. Can someone help me out?

Use the mode that supports your intention and the nature of the subject. Read your manual to see what those modes do and how you set the parameters. Of course, that requires you to understand the 3 key parameters aperture, shutter speed and ISO speed and the interlinks.
    Start with your subject, define what you want to achieve and which parameters you must define / control to achieve it. See how the other parameter(s) follow(s) and observe the results. You can also start with those Scene modes, but do observe what settings the camera will choose and try working from in P, Av, Tv and M.

What the user Octarine said is true...it depends on what you intend to take & the subject itself. S2000HD does not have aperture priority mode.

I'm not an expert but I've been using the camera since Dec 08 & this is what I've discovered so far...

P mode - I used it often to take sceneries or landscapes cos in this mode, the aperture & shutter speed is auto. You only need to adjust the ISO or EV (only if you need to).

S mode - Use this mode if you want to have a control over your shutter speed. Under this setting for S2000HD, it allows you to max the shutter speed to 1/1000 & the camera will choose the suitable aperture to match the shutter speed.

M mode - this mode allows you to adjust the both the shutter speed & the aperture yourself.

The scenes (SP) mode allows you to choose some of the automated settings to take a photo. Choose wisely cos not all in the SP mode are suitable for your intended subject. E.g. the sports choice under SP doesn't give me the best photo as compared to the S mode.

You mentioned in you previous post about some focusing issues by your teachers. I presumed that you are talking about the "depth of field" issues - focus on subject & the background blur...

This is possible with the S2000HD but it depends on how big or small the subject is. If you are talking about human faces, you can try using the macro mode or portrait mode (SP) in this camera & focus on the person's face before snapping. If the subject is small e.g. a flower of a 10 cent coin, then use the supermacro mode & focus on the subject before snapping. You will get the same effect.

Hope these helps!

Hey thanks alot dayot! Really appreciate the information..

Now i got a good understanding about it..

I don't need to go to any mode, i just have to focus to an object, it will focus there and the background will be blur.. Thanks alot.. Learnt alot from the camera today..

No probs...one suggestion - supermacro mode is very good for flowers & insects so try it out if you want to snap something other than trains!

Hmm.. Did try out the supermacro mode though... Satisfied with it!!

Im a person who is more to transport and stuffs.. Hahaha, but i will try to snap some other things rather than them...

Yup..no harm trying something new everyday...Check out your other thread on S2000HD...I've post some pics!