Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does your fren take advantage of you for photography services

Default Re: Does your fren take advantage of you for photography services

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    First of all, real friends will not take advantage of you.

And if you don't let them, there is absolutely no way they can take advantage of you.

Spill it out, what happened?

My guess is, you probably felt great when your friend asked you, then you felt taken advantage of when there was not even a meaningful ang bao.

At the end of the day, it's not your friend's fault, it's yours. Why? You said yes.
    HA HA HA

deadpoet...bingo....that was what happen to me....was the first and the last time i allowed it to happen....

Your true friend you said.

Won't your true freind wants you to participate and enjoy the celebration, with friends?

No true friend will ask a true friends to work while they play. That is not a true friend.
    that's right, a true friend will want you to be in the picture with him/she.
    Not stay behind the viewfinder taking picture for him or she.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If relatives how? That one harder to say no...
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    If relatives how? That one harder to say no...
    So what? If your relative is that close to you, you should be in the picture and not behind the camera.

If the relative is not so close, charge.

If you parents want you to do it because of "face". Tell them to pay!

At the end of the day, you do a 3 hour shoot. You spend at least 10 hours doing pre and post shoot work. 13 hours total.

Let's say this is a wedding dinner. How much do you normally give in angbao? Let's use $100. You mean you are worth less then $8/hr.

I have had a relative asked for a similar favor.

I told them, I will give them a 50% discount. US$2500 an hour. They got offended. I decided that since they took offence, I no longer need to go to the wedding, and absolutely, no need to send wedding gift either.

deadpoet
    my portfolio

Relatives and friends still can say no but at work, saying no will have consequences, no matter how small or how irrelevant to the photography event the eventual consequence is.

Worse is, after shooting, the company gives no credit to your photos at all, saying that they belong to the company and can be used by the company in any way since you are a staff of the company shooting for the company during company time.
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

So what? If your relative is that close to you, you should be in the picture and not behind the camera.

If the relative is not so close, charge.

If you parents want you to do it because of "face". Tell them to pay!

Let's say this is a wedding dinner. How much do you normally give in angbao? Let's use $100. You mean you are worth less then $8/hr.

I have had a relative asked for a similar favor.

I told them, I will give them a 50% discount. US$2500 an hour. They got offended. I decided that since they took offence, I no longer need to go to the wedding, and absolutely, no need to send wedding gift either.

my idol!!

*tell people "face" not free wan okie!
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBull View Post
    Relatives and friends still can say no but at work, saying no will have consequences, no matter how small or how irrelevant to the photography event the eventual consequence is.

Worse is, after shooting, the company gives no credit to your photos at all, saying that they belong to the company and can be used by the company in any way since you are a staff of the company shooting for the company during company time.
    if my boss is a sexy lady, i will still say NO!!

dun let people treat staff like doormat.

boss must set good example & lead by example.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

I've been asked by my friend "can you take some shots?"
    I thought, just play play, like I always do, for my own pleasure, shoot a little here and there.
    Until the night, realise it means that I am main photographer? EEEEEeeeeeeeyuk yuk yuk
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    if my boss is a sexy lady, i will still say NO!!

dun let people treat staff like doormat.

boss must set good example & lead by example.
    yeah, very easy for many people to say "just say no, no one can force you, must be firm, make a stand, no one can make you, etc etc etc" when you get blacklisted or get shown the door, these same people will say "you should have done it, why fight the system, why did you say no, should have just take the photos its no big deal, etc."

fact is, only if you are in a job to pass time, dun depend on it to pay your bills and make a living, can you say no. else just el el shoot and take it as practicing photography....
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBull View Post
    From Subject Received Size
    Gaurav Narang RE: Procedure for creation of new eroom(reference Ticket # 1028674)/ Nortel Invoice Database 1:57 PM 47 KB .

Never bring your camera to your work place.

More harm then good.
    Why do we let people at work know about our hobbies?

This come as a huge surprise to me. I have never lived in a more secretive societive than in Singapore. Everyone is so afraid to tell anyone anything about themselves. Liek the other day, I ask this someone sitting next to me who she works for ... I got a blur answer ... duh. I may be a possible client, possble vendor, or even a possible employer ...

And yet, over and over, I hear people here complaining about their employer taking advantage of them over photography ... I am missing something, why do we let people at work know we are photographers?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Cos guys like to boast about (and show off) their equipment, as well as shoot some of their XMM colleagues!

This come as a huge surprise to me. I have never lived in a more secretive societive than in Singapore. Everyone is so afraid to tell anyone anything about themselves. Liek the other day, I ask this someone sitting next to me who she works for ... I got a blur answer ... duh. I may be a possible client, possble vendor, or even a possible employer ...
    Just curious. Why do you ask her that question?

TS, try to say no without affecting your friendship.
    Just tell them, your lens no good enough or you camera is spoilt.
    Of cos, that also means that you can't bring your cam and take kapo shots on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Just curious. Why do you ask her that question?
    Duh??? Why not? What to ask and what to talk? I am stucked sitting next to her at dinner.

This is call small talks.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Duh??? Why not? What to ask and what to talk? I am stucked sitting next to her at dinner.

This is call small talks.

I see.. As in a dinner. I thought you just ask a stranger beside you while waiting for MRT.

Thousand of reason why she is not comfortable revealing her occupation. Maybe she is embrassed about her occupation or just being layoff. Maybe it is the kind of look you gave her? Maybe she had a bad day. Don't brood over it.

Well, my friends and colleague do know about photography being my hobby. I do show them my prints (the better ones, at least to me).

Hi.. one humble suggestion..

Maybe you can introduce her to CS, then ask her to sign up as a member. Then you can invite her to post under the services wanted section with the title "TFCD photographer required for ROM shoot". Who knows, some members may be willing to do it for free.

If it turns out well, you do not have take her pictures for free and she had her pictures taken w/o spending money.

Isn't it a win-win solution?

Of coz, have to explicitly highlight that you're not responsible for the outcome of the pictures and she has to pick her own photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by rach View Post
    Event is not over yet. Its in march. I asked my friend, so are u going to pay me? then she replied..wah..cannot do for free ar??
    Well she said that she do not need to hire a photographer since its just a ROM, during dinner then hire pro photographer. SO i tell her to just get someone with a camera will do since u wanted normal photos and she replied of cos she wanted better photos quality and no one has a camera besides me (cannot be right...) Anyway I told her no, unless u are willing to pay me lo

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Hi.. one humble suggestion..

Maybe you can introduce her to CS, then ask her to sign up as a member. Then you can invite her to post under the services wanted section with the title "TFCD photographer required for ROM shoot". Who knows, some members may be willing to do it for free.

If it turns out well, you do not have take her pictures for free and she had her pictures taken w/o spending money.

Isn't it a win-win solution?

Of coz, have to explicitly highlight that you're not responsible for the outcome of the pictures and she has to pick her own photographer.
    Please do not suggest this, it will open a flood gate for such requests in no time...

if someone is competent to take up the assignment, and able to deliver, that fine.

what if the photos get screw up by a photographers, what kind of reputation CS will get.... "Oh! I found this FAKE photographers from clubsnap!! he spoil my wedding photos... hu hu hu...."

how are you going to tell people request free photographers has to be...... Caveat Emptor??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    I see.. As in a dinner. I thought you just ask a stranger beside you while waiting for MRT.

Thousand of reason why she is not comfortable revealing her occupation. Maybe she is embrassed about her occupation or just being layoff. Maybe it is the kind of look you gave her? Maybe she had a bad day. Don't brood over it.

Well, my friends and colleague do know about photography being my hobby. I do show them my prints (the better ones, at least to me).
    DUH ... no one can be so dense to ask that qustion on the MRT

Not brooding, who said brooding, jsut recounting a situation.

Btw, if you are laidoff, the first thing is to let everyone around you know, so if someone is hiring, you might be the candidate.

People in Singapore are just paranoid about letting anyone knows anything regarding themselves. Period.

However, from what I heard around CS, photographers in are the exact opposite. They love to let people they press the shutter ...

ok no more OT ...
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Depends if you want to maintain the relationship/friendship.
    You can say you are busy on that day, got previous business engagements, or just do a simple one.

Never bring your camera to your work place.

More harm then good.

Agree !! not don't even put the photos that you sho on the screen saver !!!!1

If there's a demand for FREE photography service and there's a supply for it, why not?

Where does "Caveat Emptor" come in when there is no "material consideration", as in, payment? Is there a need to tell people "buyer beware" when there is no selling in the first place?

Why would CS reputation be affected if someone where to say "Oh, there is this FREE photographer from CS who screwed up the pictures"? On the other hand, CS reputation would be under greater threat if someone were to say "Oh, there is this paid photographer from CS who screwed up the pictures". With regards to this, shouldn't the service offered section be a controlled section where only certain photographers can advertise their service, to protect the image of CS?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Please do not suggest this, it will open a flood gate for such requests in no time...

if someone is competent to take up the assignment, and able to deliver, that fine.

what if the photos get screw up by a photographers, what kind of reputation CS will get.... "Oh! I found this FAKE photographers from clubsnap!! he spoil my wedding photos... hu hu hu...."

how are you going to tell people request free photographers has to be...... Caveat Emptor??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast