Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

  1. #1

    Default Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Should I be posting this in the newbies section instead?

    Am going to Cambodia for a school expedition. I was wondering what gear to bring. I'm a freelance wedding photographer and have no experience in travel photography though I may have some of the right equipment, eg. a tripod.

    I did a search here and found photos of the Crossing Bridges event. However, I couldn't find a thread on advice about what to bring. I love using my zoom lens for wedding shoots, tight portraits and stuff but yet, I was thinking do people actually bring a 70-200 overseas?

    Tripod, is it an absolute must?
    Must I purchase an ultra-wide angle?

    Please, I need advice on this matter (what to bring). Your help will be much appreciated.

    I can also be contacted via melvinmah@gmail.com

    Thank you all!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by melvinmah View Post
    Should I be posting this in the newbies section instead?

    Am going to Cambodia for a school expedition. I was wondering what gear to bring. I'm a freelance wedding photographer and have no experience in travel photography though I may have some of the right equipment, eg. a tripod.

    I did a search here and found photos of the Crossing Bridges event. However, I couldn't find a thread on advice about what to bring. I love using my zoom lens for wedding shoots, tight portraits and stuff but yet, I was thinking do people actually bring a 70-200 overseas?

    Tripod, is it an absolute must?
    Must I purchase an ultra-wide angle?

    Please, I need advice on this matter (what to bring). Your help will be much appreciated.

    I can also be contacted via melvinmah@gmail.com

    Thank you all!
    It depends what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot. For most pictures, a compact with decent wide angle will do the job. seriously, compacts are that good nowadays.

    if you are worried about rain, grab an Olympus water proof compact.

    in my experience, the only time using a tripod will be during the group photo sessions and so on.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Oh my apologies for not being clear. I missed out the point that I'll be on the expedition team (community work) as a 'dedicated photographer'. Of course, you could say a 8mp compact can still do a decent job even for publication but erm, ok let's not debate on this. Any more advice, people?
    Last edited by melvinmah; 30th January 2009 at 12:18 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by melvinmah View Post
    Oh my apologies for not being clear. I missed out the point that I'll be on the expedition team (community work) as a 'dedicated photographer'. Of course, you could say a 8mp compact can still do a decent job even for publication but erm, ok let's not debate on this. Any more advice, people?
    My personal POV is... if u are nt going there solely for photography reasons, don't bring 70-200 lah, sure die one... Just bring a zoom and a small prime bah? can take kids while u are doing community work mah...

    the Crossing bridges people did bring lotsa equipment... some had a full array of lens cover a UWA to a tele of 200mm.... a malaysian even brought a 300mm f2.8 HAHAHAAA

    However, a Wide angle will help great (I cant deny that as I didnt bring one when I was there)

    Tripod is a must bah... unless u can shoot at super high ISO

    Hope this helps u decide abit (i've been there so I think doing community work plus carrying heavy equipment is gonna kill u)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    10-200mm for cropped frame bodies.

    obviously, no such lens covers this range.

    so i would get an 18-200 (or borrow, or rent) and 10-20/11-16/12-24 UWA lens.

    the less u bring, the better. but i'm planning on bringing my primes for my upcoming holiday also . so probably total 4 lenses. primes for low light or when i want more bokeh. anyway, they are light.

    if u are covering an event, better to have some form of external flash as well. two lenses and flash will cover almost anything u wanna shoot. if u dun plan on doing ultra wideangle landscapes or dun really know how to exploit UWA lens, skip the UWA and just get the 18-200. i assume u using canikon. both have 18-200 with IS/VR. very good for general purpose and convenient too!

    if u have 18-55 and 55-200, just bring these two. no need to go and get a 18-200. but 70-200 is damn heavy, bulky, and quite overkill unless u KNOW u need it.

    just my two cents. i've handled the lenses i mentioned, but i dun travel much

  6. #6

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by melvinmah View Post
    Should I be posting this in the newbies section instead?

    Am going to Cambodia for a school expedition. I was wondering what gear to bring. I'm a freelance wedding photographer and have no experience in travel photography though I may have some of the right equipment, eg. a tripod.

    I did a search here and found photos of the Crossing Bridges event. However, I couldn't find a thread on advice about what to bring. I love using my zoom lens for wedding shoots, tight portraits and stuff but yet, I was thinking do people actually bring a 70-200 overseas?

    Tripod, is it an absolute must?
    Must I purchase an ultra-wide angle?

    Please, I need advice on this matter (what to bring). Your help will be much appreciated.

    I can also be contacted via melvinmah@gmail.com

    Thank you all!
    1. You need filters. Dust.

    2. Tripod, ultra-wide, etc. depends on what you want to shoot at what time of the day.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    I see I see. Thank you so much for all the replies, I now have a better idea of what to bring. My cam should be able to handle high ISO pretty well but still, I think a tripod is good for long exposures and stuff (landscape - temples, etc).

    Don't wanna go there w/o it and wish I should've.

    As for ultra wide, I might consider getting the AF-S 14-24 next week.. though the huge front element is kinda dangerous. On the plus side, it'll complete my trinity!

    Yep that's about it, thanks for the help guys.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    If you are doing mainly portraits of the local people (close up), a 17-55 is fine.

    I did bring my 70-200 overseas, it was hardly used, but on the occasions when I need it, I was glad I had it.

    A UWA is good for me when visiting those ancient sites.

    As for tripod, I didn't see a need to bring it, didn't miss it at all during the trip.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Hi

    I'm one of the Crossing bridge photographer....

    If you are doing community work...most of the places you would visit is villages, houses..and building. Believe you will be shotting alot of people. If you like to take potrait... normal lens will be fine. Similar as taking people here.
    For building, Angkor Wat should be waiting for you. Wide angle lens is good if you have it.
    IF you have time for sunset and angkor Wat.... tripod is a must. Other than that, not really necessary.



    Quote Originally Posted by melvinmah View Post
    I see I see. Thank you so much for all the replies, I now have a better idea of what to bring. My cam should be able to handle high ISO pretty well but still, I think a tripod is good for long exposures and stuff (landscape - temples, etc).

    Don't wanna go there w/o it and wish I should've.

    As for ultra wide, I might consider getting the AF-S 14-24 next week.. though the huge front element is kinda dangerous. On the plus side, it'll complete my trinity!

    Yep that's about it, thanks for the help guys.

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    I was thinking do people actually bring a 70-200 overseas?

    Actually yes. I brought it to Japan last year. Great at isolating subjects at the long end at wide apertures. But my last cambodia trip I got an 18-200mm instead.

    Tripod, is it an absolute must?

    Tripod is good. It is a must for me when I go overseas. Others might have other preferences.
    I use tripod often for making panoramas and of course shots that necessitated a longer shutter speed or to take pics with my travel partner etc ..

    Must I purchase an ultra-wide angle?

    I always carry my 12-24mm along for that wider shot. Others might find the 18mm end of a kit lens perfectly sufficient.

    Ryan

  11. #11

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    I would not recommend bringing too many stuff. Its too heavy!

    Remember you'll be walking (most of the time), you don't wanna be bogged down by your 4 lenses + flash + tripod?

    What I suggest is to bring

    Short tele: 17-50 F2.8
    Wide angle (Depends on the range you like)
    Tripod

    This would be sufficient.

    Use the wide on architectural shots. Use your short tele with the nice bokeh. If your subject is too far, walk towards them. They will be more than happy to pose for you. Use your walking around as a chance to know more about the country. Utilise your F2.8 to compensate for the lack of flash. Else, you can bump up your ISO too. If you absolutely feels you need fill in flash, bring along a flash.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    As a dedicated photographer there, I don't think I'm required to do much work except to take photos. Hmmm..

    Anyway, I've decided to bring my

    D3
    AF-S 24-70
    AF-S 70-200
    AF-S 50 1.4

    Tripod will be left at home, will probably use surroundings to improvise.
    Might purchase a 14-24. An alternative is to bring along my D200 as well with 12-24. Hmmm.. Nah~

    Thanks for the advice people, some of the comments made me realize I really can't live w/o long zoom. Seriously don't wanna go there and wish I should've brought it.
    Last edited by melvinmah; 31st January 2009 at 01:45 AM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    hey i'm going there too for community work as well.. haha see u around cambodia. I will be bringing my d40x haha totally amateur hope too learn alot from this trip. Btw, Should i get a better tripod because i'm currently using a very low end tripod digi eye or smth like that, considering the weather conditions i was thinking of getting a benro A550 someone advise thanks alot
    nikon d40x 18-55
    Photography is the new silence concept

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of SG
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    camera cleaning kit

    u need it when u have the chance and right environment ...

    Was really glad i brought my cleaning kit along on my trip to siam reap last year. Roads are dusty so really have to avoid changing lens when on the road...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SINGAPORE
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Wide angle - to cover temples
    Prime lens - people
    Tripod - lots of HDR possibilities ( siem reap )

    70-200 is not a "must-pick".
    PG
    M8 - M2 - Voigtlander R3A - 50 cron v5 - 75 cron - 35/2.5 CV classic - OMD - few M42's

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    agree on some, tripod is a must.if you will try on some "improvised" then take the risk of the safety of your gears.
    IMHO, a midrange zoom(eg 24-70) lens is quite perfect.Can cover landscapes (since you are in FX) and also decent portraits, even group shots.

    travel light,or take the risk.

    my 5cents worth.

    thanks

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Guys, I'm thinking of going on a 4 days photography trip to Siem Reap sometime this year. Can some kind soul who have been to Siem Reap before -- specially those who participated in last year's Crossing Bridges v5 trip to Siem Reap -- share their itineraries for reference purposes? I'm sure it's gonna be beneficial to others who may want to do the same trip at some point.

    :Later,

  18. #18

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Dude, u shld consider travelling light.

    I tink ur 24-70mm and D3 will be good enuf for the entire trip.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Going to Cambodia. Equipment advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by melvinmah View Post
    As a dedicated photographer there, I don't think I'm required to do much work except to take photos. Hmmm..

    Anyway, I've decided to bring my

    D3
    AF-S 24-70
    AF-S 70-200
    AF-S 50 1.4

    Tripod will be left at home, will probably use surroundings to improvise.
    Might purchase a 14-24. An alternative is to bring along my D200 as well with 12-24. Hmmm.. Nah~

    Thanks for the advice people, some of the comments made me realize I really can't live w/o long zoom. Seriously don't wanna go there and wish I should've brought it.
    i suggest that u drop the 50 1.4 and bring a 12-24. some temple interiors has tight space constrains. my usual travel gears are:

    40D
    10-22: landscapes/indoors
    17-55: walkabout lens/general
    70-200: portraits
    60macro: insects/food/flowers

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •