Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any loans to study in Australia university?

Default Re: Any loans to study in Australia university?

I search few local bank like dbs/uob/ocbc/oub at that time all have offer or leaflet over the counter.

I make appointment to speak with the officer and make selections. Some may want you to deposit certain amt of $$ in their bank as my family are not from those family name, I am not sure of it now.

HTH.

1 simple word of advice if your struggling to get to a uni which you bearly can support i think to be on the safe side wait till the crysis is over and then go for it today you might still own a few penny with a shop tomorrow you might have your house taken away so be on the safe side and wait ^^ from a 15 yr old boy lol =p=p
    Proudly Tangshooter--Nikon D90/18-105mm/f3.5-5.6g/50mm f1.4/SB-900!
    My Flickr Profile

now is a good time to further studies.
    hopefully you have some cash available so that you don't have to borrow the full sum needed for your studies.
    go for it if is the subject you want to study, don't end up regretting it in the future...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 1st February 2009 at 11:47 AM.

agree but that future he stated is like 5-10yrs from now lol...
    Proudly Tangshooter--Nikon D90/18-105mm/f3.5-5.6g/50mm f1.4/SB-900!
    My Flickr Profile

Quote Originally Posted by poondq View Post
    agree but that future he stated is like 5-10yrs from now lol...
    i think is only 4 years.
    if you're working in an industry which you have no talent for, after 1 or 2 years you will start to regret that why you didn't go and study something of your interest when you're give the chance, some chances in life only comes once a lifetime...hesitate and the chance is gone in an instant.

no idea why ppl like to pour cold water on TS future...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 1st February 2009 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    now is a good time to further studies.
    hopefully you have some cash available so that you don't have to borrow the full sum needed for your studies.
    go for it if is the subject you want to study, don't end up regretting it in the future...
    i think is only 4 years.
    if you're working in an industry which you have no talent for, after 1 or 2 years you will start to regret that why you didn't go and study something of your interest when you're give the chance, some chances in life only comes once a lifetime...hesitate and the chance is gone in an instant.

no idea why ppl like to pour cold water on TS future...
    Thanks for the moral support bro!

Actually I am short of around 100k. I was actually offered a place in NTU's biomedical and TCM course. But my parents say it will be better to go for dentistry since I am given a chance now. Moreover, my grades are really not fantastic. To add on, the aussie dollar is weak now. 0.96 compared to 1.2 one year back.

Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post

Actually I am short of around 100k. I was actually offered a place in NTU's biomedical and TCM course. But my parents say it will be better to go for dentistry since I am given a chance now. Moreover, my grades are really not fantastic. To add on, the aussie dollar is weak now. 0.96 compared to 1.2 one year back.
    Education loan of 100k is no joke , think carefully before you proceed, the interest wouldn't be as low housing loan or even car loan where there is collateral.

100k sounds a lot to me...actually right now you need to judge if you can repay your loan within the space of 5 years if not the interest will surely pile up...
    besides this amount of money like a bit hard to get a loan given the situation now.
    any chance to pay the fee via installments ?
    if that's a one time payment then is really a stressful payment.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 2nd February 2009 at 12:01 PM.

Henessy, does Australia allow students to work part time while studying? This was the "normal" way to finance overseas education long long time ago (70s & 80s).

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Henessy, does Australia allow students to work part time while studying? This was the "normal" way to finance overseas education long long time ago (70s & 80s).
    new zealand allows it , australia should allow it , thats why i say , work a bit , enough to pay for a year or so , then go there , study and work. Thats the only viable and best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Can work. But only 20 hours per week...

100k sounds a lot to me...actually right now you need to judge if you can repay your loan within the space of 5 years if not the interest will surely pile up...
    besides this amount of money like a bit hard to get a loan given the situation now.
    any chance to pay the fee via installments ?
    if that's a one time payment then is really a stressful payment.
    Actually the total amount need is around 100k to be on safe side. But payment of tuition fees is by per semester. Around 20k each time.

Can work. But only 20 hours per week...
    yup, 20hrs per week is the max. But dont depend on it. It's not easy to find work in Australia. It is estimated that unemployment in australia can hit abt 8-9% this year..

I think the TS should provide more background data or else people are just fishing around. Nearly all the suggestions made here are good but I am sure the TS are already aware of them. If S$100k is total needed, surely this is can not for the whole 4 years. Then how much has he to start with today and what does he estimate will be his yearly expenditure?

As for the original question: Study loans are hard to come by these days especially without big time collateral. If grades are average, then the time tested "father-mother" scholarship is probably it.

Many foreign students work more than the legal 20hours in Australia. They are usually exploited by employers for lower then the mininum wage. Do you want to factor in this typw of revenue into your financial needs projections? Better not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12