Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 81

Thread: Food Photographers' Group

  1. #41

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    So far i have known of a food photographer which is quite well known in the F&B industry, seen his works before which i consider is very good. Maybe you guys can goggle for Edmond Ho, Jambo studio.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Thanks again for your suggestion Casio!

    Jambu is well-known in the industry! They have a lot of work out ther now, and more prominently is in a local magazine focused on food and travel. Great stuff!

    However, I would also encourage researching further, and look at the styles of different photographers and also find out about the different schools of thought where food photography and food styling is concerned.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    No prob, Dream Merchant!

    I really feel bad that I can't go this weekend(and the next).. I'm sure there will be other meets.. I'm really looking forward to joining you guys.

    Proficiency level: I'm still learning. I've attended Mark Floro's food photography workshop so I have ideas how things work. I just can't find the time(and subjects) to shoot.
    Gear: I have a 580ex II, light stand with umbrella, tons of small card reflectors
    Sample works: it's in my flickr

    Btw, the last thing you want to shoot would be ice cream or anything that melts... unless you can replicate it using other materials.

    Also, it would be great to have a food stylist on board. Maybe next time, we can pool our money and hire someone.. but for now, let's do with what we have.

    Thanks!

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland, Finland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Hmm.. Interesting, will do more research on my favourite food photographers. Was thinking if we can compile a list of useful links and portfolios to share too!

    dm: i don't mnd sharing, but to be frank, me still noob la. Keke.. I used an umbrella, top right above object, and a flash in front for fill. Shot on white reflective table. I can try demo if we are on set. Haha, it's more than a year ago..

  5. #45

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Aiyah, please don't worry Pepin!

    This is just the start, and well, you know ... to do food photography well, we would need TONS of patience!

    There will be many other opportunities to meet and shoot!

    Agreed on the ice cream part. In fact, I would not recommend handling anything that requires fast shooting and dojng things like real ice cream requires very very deep freezing storage and a lot of mess, and needs to be shot within seconds ... at miost a minute or two before the dish is not presentable anymore.

    Thanks for updating me about your proficiency level. GREAT shots you have there Pepin! Have you done any work using existing light?

    I'm still waiting for the others to send me their info, but chances are, I'll be looking at starting with easy to manage items that do not require the ability to shoot in one or two minutes.



    Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    No prob, Dream Merchant!

    I really feel bad that I can't go this weekend(and the next).. I'm sure there will be other meets.. I'm really looking forward to joining you guys.

    Proficiency level: I'm still learning. I've attended Mark Floro's food photography workshop so I have ideas how things work. I just can't find the time(and subjects) to shoot.
    Gear: I have a 580ex II, light stand with umbrella, tons of small card reflectors
    Sample works: it's in my flickr

    Btw, the last thing you want to shoot would be ice cream or anything that melts... unless you can replicate it using other materials.

    Also, it would be great to have a food stylist on board. Maybe next time, we can pool our money and hire someone.. but for now, let's do with what we have.

    Thanks!

  6. #46

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by drumma View Post
    Hmm.. Interesting, will do more research on my favourite food photographers. Was thinking if we can compile a list of useful links and portfolios to share too!

    dm: i don't mnd sharing, but to be frank, me still noob la. Keke.. I used an umbrella, top right above object, and a flash in front for fill. Shot on white reflective table. I can try demo if we are on set. Haha, it's more than a year ago..
    No worries Drumma!

    Noob or not, that was a great shot! Perhaps you could post it up again here for the benefit of the others?

    Would love to see your demo for the group!

  7. #47

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Thanks!

    My existing light, you mean daylight? No, I don't have pics. Simply because I don't get to shoot during the day. I always get home late at night.

    Some of the shots in my flickr are just using modeling lights of studio flashes, like the chicken rice and chocolates. So balancing ambient exposure is ok for me.

    I'll see if I can squeeze in something with daylight this weekend.

    You're right that we should start easy.. think big, but start small..

  8. #48
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Thanks again for your suggestion Casio!

    Jambu is well-known in the industry! They have a lot of work out ther now, and more prominently is in a local magazine focused on food and travel. Great stuff!

    However, I would also encourage researching further, and look at the styles of different photographers and also find out about the different schools of thought where food photography and food styling is concerned.
    One photographer in F&B industry that we can approach his style is Lou Manna.

    His food shots are fantastic set with good location and props, also great lighting techniques.

    http://www.loumanna.com/

  9. #49

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Yeah, daylight.

    I'm used to seeing togs work with studio strobes that I used to 'discount' existing light, till I discovered some works of such mesmerising beauty that I always wondered how they managed to light it, and later found out that they shot using daylight!

    Thanks for the link HQ!

    Yes, Lou's work is ultra slick, and very commercial. His works, if you notice, are cleanly lit and very very sharp, which is what is required for things like menus and pack shots.

    Think of it this way: COMMERCIAL food photography is very exacting, but can be clinical because of technical requirements. But it teaches (because it demands) the very highest levels of technical and lighting discipline. You also require the very best from all members in the team, and that means a top-notch food stylist, set-stylist and assistants. Usually, at such levels, a CD or AD is also involved.

    EDITORIAL Food Photography is an area where a lot more freedom, both technical as well as aesthetics, is allowed, but it still requires a high degree of technical competency as well as exacting styling and directing. But it's a lot more FUN to do!


    Speaking of which, this reminds me...is anyone in the group good at set-styling? You know, how and where to place objects and what objects to use etc? Very often, what supporting objectas are used (or not used) as well as placement can make or break the shot.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 30th January 2009 at 02:30 PM.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    i'm interested! but don't think i can make it this sunday.

    so far i've only been shooting food at family events and my lunch/dinner.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    LATEST LIST

    DATE: This Sunday, 1 Feb 09 (Or you all prefer after all the New Year thingies are over?)
    TIME: 3pm -5pm
    PLACE: Somewhere near Cityhall (TBC)


    Please let me know if this is ok with you, and if you're a smoker (I know a lot of photographers who are smokers).


    RSVP

    1) DM - OK with this Sunday or after NY
    2) AK - Ok with this Sunday or after NY
    3) LOTUSfairy - Ok with this Sunday
    4) OasisG - TENTATIVE
    5) Royaux - TENTATIVE
    6) Peztilent - YES this Sunday
    7) hanqiang1011 - NO
    8) LeGoZ
    9) Macrolandscape - YES
    10) denniskee
    11) peterpan1975
    12) miketan
    13)
    14)
    15)
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 30th January 2009 at 02:42 PM.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Hi, interested to join and learn together. will like to drop by this sunday.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Hi madmacs and y100y50,

    Thanks so much for dropping by and expressing your interest!

    This is just the start, and from initial response, it looks like the group may get larger as time goes by, and we will have more meets and shoots!

    That's GREAT! Because I feel that a lot of photographers want to take good food photographs, but the technical and aesthetic support is usually not available at the hobbyist or enthusiast level, and that's the reason I started this group.

    Because food photography is not the same as say, a group shooting a pretty young girl on a weekend, the size of the groups will be something that has to be looked at.

    For now, I capped it at 15 people for the initial meet-up (shoots would likely be smaller groups), and I know you'll understand that priority has to be given to those who expressed their interet earlier. But as you can see, chances are high that there might be space for a few more since some may not be able to attend.

    Thanks for understanding and please check back on this thread for updates!

    CHEERS!

  14. #54

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Hi madmacs and y100y50,

    Thanks so much for dropping by and expressing your interest!

    This is just the start, and from initial response, it looks like the group may get larger as time goes by, and we will have more meets and shoots!

    That's GREAT! Because I feel that a lot of photographers want to take good food photographs, but the technical and aesthetic support is usually not available at the hobbyist or enthusiast level, and that's the reason I started this group.

    Because food photography is not the same as say, a group shooting a pretty young girl on a weekend, the size of the groups will be something that has to be looked at.

    For now, I capped it at 15 people for the initial meet-up (shoots would likely be smaller groups), and I know you'll understand that priority has to be given to those who expressed their interet earlier. But as you can see, chances are high that there might be space for a few more since some may not be able to attend.

    Thanks for understanding and please check back on this thread for updates!

    CHEERS!
    Well i do agree as what you said anyway, the most crucial thing about food photography which i find is speed in taking pics.. before the food dies down.. anyway, hope i can make it on this Sun to meet up with you seniors..

  15. #55

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Hi madmacs and y100y50,

    Thanks so much for dropping by and expressing your interest!

    This is just the start, and from initial response, it looks like the group may get larger as time goes by, and we will have more meets and shoots!

    That's GREAT! Because I feel that a lot of photographers want to take good food photographs, but the technical and aesthetic support is usually not available at the hobbyist or enthusiast level, and that's the reason I started this group.

    Because food photography is not the same as say, a group shooting a pretty young girl on a weekend, the size of the groups will be something that has to be looked at.

    For now, I capped it at 15 people for the initial meet-up (shoots would likely be smaller groups), and I know you'll understand that priority has to be given to those who expressed their interet earlier. But as you can see, chances are high that there might be space for a few more since some may not be able to attend.

    Thanks for understanding and please check back on this thread for updates!

    CHEERS!
    no worries. perhaps you can share any tips that you come up with during the meets so that all of us can learn.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by OasisG View Post
    Well i do agree as what you said anyway, the most crucial thing about food photography which i find is speed in taking pics.. before the food dies down.. anyway, hope i can make it on this Sun to meet up with you seniors..
    Don't worry Pepin!

    A wise photographer showed me that I should start the group off on Cadbury chocolates and cold dishes!

    Yes, speed is of the essence. For some layouts, you may have the luxury of a few minutes, but for some, it's a matter of getting the short in seconds!

  17. #57

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    no worries. perhaps you can share any tips that you come up with during the meets so that all of us can learn.
    Please check back on this thread madmacs and y100m50!

    As mentioned, I forsee that there's a high chance there will be space!

  18. #58

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Don't worry Pepin!

    A wise photographer showed me that I should start the group off on Cadbury chocolates and cold dishes!

    Yes, speed is of the essence. For some layouts, you may have the luxury of a few minutes, but for some, it's a matter of getting the short in seconds!
    Thanks! Hahaha!

    You can start with cookies, candies, chocolates, hmm... what else?!... bread..

    cold drinks.. there's a way to make them look cold.. i'll share with you guys in one of the meets..

  19. #59

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    Thanks! Hahaha!

    You can start with cookies, candies, chocolates, hmm... what else?!... bread..

    cold drinks.. there's a way to make them look cold.. i'll share with you guys in one of the meets..
    Bread and cakes are not as good as chocolates and cookies beacuse they dry out and shrink. In fact I find that a lot of folks shooting cakes and bread do not know how to make them look moist and inviting without getting it soggy. Unlike meat and vegs, you can't brush on oil or water on bread and cakes!

    Don't wait lah, try to drop by this Sunday if you can! It would be great to meet you Pepin!

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland, Finland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: Food Photographers' Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    No worries Drumma!

    Noob or not, that was a great shot! Perhaps you could post it up again here for the benefit of the others?

    Would love to see your demo for the group!
    thanks for the kind comments dude. haha. due to some t&c with the client, i won't air my noobish photo here lah. haha..

    anyway, thanks for starting this group. shooting food requires a fair bit of money and i think most photographers are foodies right? :P

    i have a link i wanna share but can't find!! brr.. will post his link when i've found it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •