Thread: Another Example of ST using Photos

vince123123
    Guests

Default Another Example of ST using Photos

Anyone saw the interesting news article on the naked couple in Holland Village? Other than the naked in public hullabaloo, I also noticed that ST only came with the news report after the blogosphere had reported on it.

But what is more interesting for clubsnappers is how they just took the photo and credited it to "Internet Photo". Obvsiouly they appear to be sufferring from the delusion that anything on the Internet is free to use. The very lesat they could do is to state the website and nick the person was using.

Default Re: Another Example of ST using Photos

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Anyone saw the interesting news article on the naked couple in Holland Village? Other than the naked in public hullabaloo, I also noticed that ST only came with the news report after the blogosphere had reported on it.

But what is more interesting for clubsnappers is how they just took the photo and credited it to "Internet Photo". Obvsiouly they appear to be sufferring from the delusion that anything on the Internet is free to use. The very lesat they could do is to state the website and nick the person was using.
    is ST acting blur or outrightly shameless?

lean towards blakang...
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

Its ST what... they can do whatever they want... until someone sends them an invoice. LOL! So if you see your photo published without permission, send them an invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Its ST what... they can do whatever they want... until someone sends them an invoice. LOL! So if you see your photo published without permission, send them an invoice.
    Be sure to include two tear sheets or printed copies, and make sure to keep one original for your own reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Be sure to include two tear sheets or printed copies, and make sure to keep one original for your own reference.
    No need la boss. Just make a photocopy of the article and attach it to your invoice. Indicate where the photo is being used and send it to their editor.

can include namecard and portfolio or not? for future networking and collaboration haha

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    can include namecard and portfolio or not? for future networking and collaboration haha
    That would be the best course of action. LOL!!

Why not?

I'll bet no one has tried it, so much so that if someone handles the matter professionally, they might receive professional treatment.

At any rate, I've read something about a UK (?) court ruling that under certain circumstances, like the dissemination of news, as opposed to say, a shop using your images, is allowed under a certain law because it's for the interest of the public or something like that.

I'm sure SPH's legal dept has done their research, and even if such a law doesn't apply here or doesn't exist, I'm guessing it would be very costly to pursue legal avenues, even if you win.

vince123123
    Guests

One other point to note is that the Today newspaper, which also reported the same matter, at least had the decency to quote the netizen's online nick (which was actually comprised of his name).

Actually, I have been sending them invoices over the last few years for using my images. If my pics are being used, send them an invoice. That was what the editor of the paper told me. LOL!
    Last edited by hazmee; 28th January 2009 at 03:35 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

Ah, but in Singapore, there is another critiera, namely sufficient acknowledgement of the work - by quoting "Internet Photo", that is the same as some organisers here saying "Credit to the Photographer".

See Section 37 below:

Fair dealing for purpose of reporting current events
    A fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or with an adaptation of a literary, dramatic or musical work, shall not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the work if it is for the purpose of, or is associated with, the reporting of current events

(a) in a newspaper, magazine or similar periodical and a sufficient acknowledgment of the work is made; or
    (b) by means of broadcasting or a cable programme service or in a cinematograph film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Why not?

I'll bet no one has tried it, so much so that if someone handles the matter professionally, they might receive professional treatment.

At any rate, I've read something about a UK (?) court ruling that under certain circumstances, like the dissemination of news, as opposed to say, a shop using your images, is allowed under a certain law because it's for the interest of the public or something like that.

I'm sure SPH's legal dept has done their research, and even if such a law doesn't apply here or doesn't exist, I'm guessing it would be very costly to pursue legal avenues, even if you win.

vince123123
    Guests

Actually, when sending your invoice, please quote at least 150% of the current rate. They need to pay higher than the usual rate if they want to go about their business in this manner.

It is the same as us payign a fine on top of the fee for a parking offence.

Actually, I have been sending them invoices over the last few years for using my images. That was what the editor of the paper told me. If my pics are being used, send them an invoice. LOL!

Actually, when sending your invoice, please quote at least 150% of the current rate. They need to pay higher than the usual rate if they want to go about their business in this manner.

It is the same as us payign a fine on top of the fee for a parking offence.
    I wish I could but knowing how cheap $T is, I did what I could to make them come for more. LOL!

Ah, but in Singapore, there is another critiera, namely sufficient acknowledgement of the work - by quoting "Internet Photo", that is the same as some organisers here saying "Credit to the Photographer".

See Section 37 below:

A fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or with an adaptation of a literary, dramatic or musical work, shall not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the work if it is for the purpose of, or is associated with, the reporting of current events

(a) in a newspaper, magazine or similar periodical and a sufficient acknowledgment of the work is made; or
    (b) by means of broadcasting or a cable programme service or in a cinematograph film.

Righto.

How is "sufficient" defined by a local court, and do we even want to afford getting to that level?

vince123123
    Guests

Ah, but this time you have the upper hand because they would be otherwise, infringing

Anyway its your business call lah So long as you know your legal position and can make your business decision based on that .

I wish I could but knowing how cheap $T is, I did what I could to make them come for more. LOL!

See Section 37 below:

eh isn't crediting not enuff if its done without the photog's explicit consent and knowledge?
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

vince123123
    Guests

Well normally it is not. Normally, crediting is no factor or defence against infringement in my personal view.

However, in this case, there's a specific exception given to newspapers. But in this particular case, in my personal view, I doubt "Internet Photo" will likely qualify as sufficient acknowledgement.

My opinion is that in any legal action against ST, it is equivalent of going against the garmen...

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    My opinion is that in any legal action against ST, it is equivalent of going against the garmen...
    Remember the NKF incident... so people... learn from it. LOL!