Thread: Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super

Default Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super

Hi all,

Newbie here...
    Need some advice.. I am thinking of getting a versatile zoom and marco lens.. wana explore the world of marco... Its this sigma lens worth it? it seems quite value for money... Any comments and review or other recommendations? I am using F80... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by siriuslim
    Hi all,

Newbie here...
    Need some advice.. I am thinking of getting a versatile zoom and marco lens.. wana explore the world of marco... Its this sigma lens worth it? it seems quite value for money... Any comments and review or other recommendations? I am using F80... thanks!
    Good for general nature use and for macros of larger insects like butterflies without any additional stuff. It doesn't focus very fast though and the 5.6 aperture may limit its use in sports.

thanks xdivider for your comment...
    what do you mean by without any additional stuffs?
    I read reviews that commented on the slowness of this lens.. guess, its wat you pay is wat you get...

thanks xdivider for your comment...
    what do you mean by without any additional stuffs?
    I read reviews that commented on the slowness of this lens.. guess, its wat you pay is wat you get...
    additional stuffs probably referring to close-up filters, teleconverters, extension tubes...

so, this len is buyable?

so, this len is buyable?
    depends on what u use it for. If the target is constantly moving and u need lightning quick focus and
    high shutter speed to shoot it, then its not for u. If as a travelling lens, zoo and nature stuff or occasional macros then its a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by xdivider
    depends on what u use it for. If the target is constantly moving and u need lightning quick focus and
    high shutter speed to shoot it, then its not for u. If as a travelling lens, zoo and nature stuff or occasional macros then its a good buy.
    Thanks for your advice... quite tempted to get it... or anyone have one that they wana sell?

Thanks for your advice... quite tempted to get it... or anyone have one that they wana sell?
    Think its selling for ard 340.

Quote Originally Posted by xdivider
    Think its selling for ard 340.
    $340 brand new?? where???

$340 brand new?? where???
    Alan Photo.

similar price at MS Colour too.

Default excellent lense for its value

This is an excellent lense for its value. Go ahead and grab one of these just to play with the telephoto range. Its sharper than the Nikon ED 70-300 acc. to www.photodo.com . I have the non APO version, excellent fron 70-200 . Its useable at 300mm but noticeably soft wide open. The macro is useful, but only able to use macro at 300mm which can be difficult (very) without a tripod and a moving subject (even slightly).

the new APO II version has macro from 200-300mm...

from what i have read, the APO II version have marco function from 200mm-300mm... thats y its so tempting for me... guess i shall go buy it and play around with it...