Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens first Body later question

Default Re: Lens first Body later question

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsoo View Post
    Does the other 3rd party- Tam and Sigma. Have a similar designation for their lenses? As EF and EFS?
    yes. some of the lenses are designated digital or dx lenses. either cannot fit 35mm format or will cause vignetting when used.

Hi,
    I am in the midst of choosing between the 450d and the d60. But rather than looking at cameras body wise then choose the lens later. How about the other way around.

Aim is to take photos of my kids. Other things are secondary. Needs to be light and compact. Easy to pack around dslr. Dont want a compact cam as I already have one.

The idea I have is to pick a lens system first then choose the budget body (for starters) later. As I would tend to keep the lens and upgrade the body.

Here goes.
    Canon 450d - to consider a 5D later
    Thinking of L lens 24-105 for the canon system for general all round shots. Then maybe a 17-50 tamron for the wide angle. Or a 18-200 for walkaround, traveling shots. What do you guys think?
    BTW any suggestions on the price and place to get an L lens?
    I heard the kit lens sucks for the 450D but i dont know what it "sucks" in? Comments please?

Nikon 60D- to consider d700 later
    But for the Nikon system, I have no idea if there are any lenses comparable to the canon L lenses. Any suggestions? (this is the pertinent question ) I am aware of the issue of the lack of a “drive shaft” for the d60 (dunno what else to call it). That I need AF-S lenses to use it on the d60. The reason I like the d 60 is the “feel” of the camera when it takes a shot, (bit of a macho snap feel... the d90 seems more refined) its small and kinda gets the job done reasonably.

Reason I dont have a semipro system in mind is budget constraints. So I thought of getting a good lens first and putting the spending on some kind of prioritisation. Anyway let me know if this kind of mentality is “wise” or reasonable logic.

I tend to be a bit rough on the cameras, (not deliberately though) any issues on build quality of either. I dont mind considering the D90 for the nikon cam, just a bit heavy.a

Did a trawl on the net for comparisons of L lens and any nikkor lens. Cant find any that gives me a heads up on the issue.

Cheers and a happy new year ahead.
    Good to see someone taking this approaceto make a purchase...
    I did it the same way too....
    Lens... then body...

Have fun & Good luck!
    Khai
    Last edited by Khair76; 28th January 2009 at 01:46 PM.

Does the other 3rd party- Tam and Sigma. Have a similar designation for their lenses? As EF and EFS?
    Canon - EF (Full frame) EF-S (Crop)
    Sigma - DG (Full frame) DC (Crop)

Tamron - DI (Full frame) DI-II (Crop)

I am pretty sure I am right for the Canons and the Sigmas .. I am only 75% sure that the Tamron one is correct. So take it under advisement. Not aware of anything for Tokina.

Quote Originally Posted by Khair76 View Post
    Good to see someone taking this approaceto make a purchase...
    I did it the same way too....
    Lens... then body...

Have fun & Good luck!
    Khai
    Thanks, good to see that there are other ppl out there who had gone ahead. Could you tell me more of what you did and how you made your own selection. What did u get in the end?

definately lens first then body later for budget consideration.
    a D1 body used to cost $5k. now even if 400 no one might buy it.
    80-200mm f2.8 - 10 years old lens can still cost up to 800...

bottomline, camera bodies depreciate real fast.
    lens - they dont depreciate as fast and might become collectables in years to come =)

in the long run look for lens that can fit on fx- if u have intention of upgrading bodies.

anyway i enjoy bokeh and things ard f2.8 - 1.4....so definately choosing lens for me. bodies gives a plus in terms of ISO. but it also means too much money.

buy a 5D/ D3,
    you can grab a d40/ 400D + 2/3 of nikon/canon's trinity.

24-70 f2.8+ 70-200 f2.8.
    if u ask me i rather have the lens than the 5D/D3...

btw i got myself a D80, added a tokina 12-24 f4, 28-70 sigma f2.8 and nikon 50mm f1.4 .
    i got a 70-300mm for a while then sold it away realise its hardly in use.

i bring ard my sigma most of the time...and tokina when i shoot landscape. and the 50mm is so small i just leave it in my pocket when i shoot at night

Hi. I have 2 kids (5 and 1 y/o) and I shoot pictures of them very very often. So I'd like to provide some suggestions for your consideration...based on Canon lens system, but I'm sure you can find similar ones for Nikon also.

1. Prime lens is good and light. The EF 50mm f1.4 or EF 50mm f1.8 has very wide aperture to create sharp images with very good bokeh. This is ideal for taking picture of kids in low light, e.g. indoors. But not so ideal for situations if kids run around a lot, in which case a fast AF zoom will be better for candid framing. I LOVE my 50mm!

2. The EF 24-105L IS is f4.0, and I don't like this aperture for single portrait shots (I like somewhere around f2.0), unless it is a group photo. Consider EF 24-70L f2.8 instead? (I'm sure some CSers out there will disagree with me).

3. EF 100mm f2.8 macro is also a good lens to consider. Very sharp and good overall performance, but I find it a bit slow on the AF. Buy hey, it's great for close-ups like kids tiny hands, feet, etc.!

4. Seriously, weight is something that you can easily get used to unless it is a big fat zoom that you're after. Instead, think about getting a good camera bag and neck strap that will help to even out the carrying weight when traveling. The standard Canon or Nikon straps are literally a pain in the neck, pardon the pun.

Cheers!
    Last edited by LifeInMacro; 28th January 2009 at 04:31 PM.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    You are not comparing apple to apple.
    Well i'm stating according to your comments initially.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Yes there is.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Thanks, good to see that there are other ppl out there who had gone ahead. Could you tell me more of what you did and how you made your own selection. What did u get in the end?
    Look in my Multiply. I did a little writeup on choosing lens first and then body. It'll also show my choice.
    Hope it'll help u in anyway possible...
    Last edited by Khair76; 29th January 2009 at 12:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12