Thread: burning hot usb 2.0 hi-speed cable problem.. Any Solutions?

Exclamation burning hot usb 2.0 hi-speed cable problem.. Any Solutions?

Im nt sure where to put this thread but hopefully this is the right one.. anyway heres the problem:

I have a usb hi-speed 2.0 cable. its a male to male head with a normal usb shape at one end, and the smaller (canon camera jack type) usb at the other..

I just found out today right after i took the usb cable out of my camera, it was really hot!
    I touched the metal part and it was as hot as a cooling pot (after cooling for 1 min) dunno how to describe the tempreature..

Then i touched the wire and it was as hot as right after you iron yr clothes..

Was afraid it damaged my camera but luckily it did not..

It just started acting up today and i was wondering what could have happened? i was thinking my computers usb port got problem, but when i changed ports it was still hot.

It is even hot when nothing is connected to it... I have another wire (exactly same, bought at same time too, and the wire is bout 1mths old i think), and its working perfectly fine..

Anyone ever experienced this too? Or anyone have any idea what have happened

i really dont want to throw the cable away as its a great waste and a new cable would come out of my pocket... Any suggestions to solve this? thx in advance...
    Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Gitzo GT1541T, GH1780QR Ball head.

Default Re: burning hot usb 2.0 hi-speed cable problem.. Any Solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by deepashes View Post
    Im nt sure where to put this thread but hopefully this is the right one.. anyway heres the problem:

I have a usb hi-speed 2.0 cable. its a male to male head with a normal usb shape at one end, and the smaller (canon camera jack type) usb at the other..

I just found out today right after i took the usb cable out of my camera, it was really hot!
    I touched the metal part and it was as hot as a cooling pot (after cooling for 1 min) dunno how to describe the tempreature..

Then i touched the wire and it was as hot as right after you iron yr clothes..

Was afraid it damaged my camera but luckily it did not..

It just started acting up today and i was wondering what could have happened? i was thinking my computers usb port got problem, but when i changed ports it was still hot.

It is even hot when nothing is connected to it... I have another wire (exactly same, bought at same time too, and the wire is bout 1mths old i think), and its working perfectly fine..

Anyone ever experienced this too? Or anyone have any idea what have happened

i really dont want to throw the cable away as its a great waste and a new cable would come out of my pocket... Any suggestions to solve this? thx in advance...

I have never come across a USB cable that could get that hot. USB cables are meant to power low voltage devices. If it can get as hot as you claim it does...it might be some wiring shorting out due to crosswire at the plug head or something. If one cable gets as hot as that and another cable does not exhibit the same situation...how much do you want to try to save till it finally short out one of your devices?

yeah, i thought that too, like if the usb cable is slightly warm it wouldnt arouse my attention, but this was really hot..

guess ill have to change it anyway...
    Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Gitzo GT1541T, GH1780QR Ball head.

most likely the cable got shorted either inbetween due to maybe a kink or a cut, or its at the plugs. i've seen before a cable burn inside the CPU cos it got shorted.

its better to just remove the cable, just to be safe... next is to check the socket point, probably if its an extension from the motherboard, it might be a wrong connect.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

er

could it be heat from your computer?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    er

could it be heat from your computer?
    burning hot leh... dun think thats possible...

normally only if cable cannot take the load, hence heat up, so either, the item is drawing too much, or there is a short circuit on the item end creating an 'infinity' load.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    burning hot leh... dun think thats possible...
    me neither..

but sometimes people don't expect things to be hot, so describe as hotter than it is

ho ho ho

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    me neither..

but sometimes people don't expect things to be hot, so describe as hotter than it is

ho ho ho
    u trying to practise english again?

so it should be warmer than normal, or hotter? then whats the range of warm, and the range of hot?

u trying to practise english again?

so it should be warmer than normal, or hotter? then whats the range of warm, and the range of hot?

你想太多了,unker DCA!

if it is abnormally hot, we can safely assume that there might be something wrong with it. like a bro suggested, it is not worth to risk your equipment considering the cost of your equipment as compared to the cable.

Bro, my advice is to change it. It should never be as hot as you have described.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I have never come across a USB cable that could get that hot. USB cables are meant to power low voltage devices. If it can get as hot as you claim it does...it might be some wiring shorting out due to crosswire at the plug head or something. If one cable gets as hot as that and another cable does not exhibit the same situation...how much do you want to try to save till it finally short out one of your devices?
    In the USB cable there is a 5V pin, while the hi-speed signal itself is a 17.78mA differential signal. Regardless there must be a short in the cable else it shouldn't be hot at all.

Better don't experiment with the cable by fixing it yourself else you risk damaging your camera. Actually many portable devices use a similar cable to the cameras so maybe you can find one with the same connectors on both ends. Only source of issue (shouldn't be irreversible) is that sometimes the signal integrity of the USB chip in the camera may demand a common mode choke on the cable and this may not be on all USB hi-speed cables. But you can try and see if the file transfer is successful and decide if the cable is good enough.

normally only if cable cannot take the load, hence heat up, so either, the item is drawing too much, or there is a short circuit on the item end creating an 'infinity' load.
    The 'load' you mentioned is actually the termination resistance in the USB system and it is certainly restricted to +/-10% of its nominal 45ohm for USB2.0. If the impedance is change, it means very bad news since this resistor is typically in the chip driving the USB cable (aka transceiver or PHY).

On the other hand, if the camera is driving a very high current from the USB cable (VBUS pin), a properly implemented host (typically a PC) will detect this condition and shut down the port concerned.

I've experienced what the thread starter had. It can be 3 cause.

1. Mainboard USB port side damaged, ie short circuit. This happens to some when these ports are forcefully plugged in the reverse way until the pins get damaged. I've seen this b4, seriously.

2. Device side usb port damaged too as point 1.

3. Cable wire or female end gets damaged.

For me, a friend ask to check why his 2.5" external hardisk/ Divx player unable to read and within seconds of plugging the device to my pc port the USB cable heat up exponentially.

Then it was due to the internal circuit of the USB Hardisk got cook due to poor design in heat dissipation as the cable was fine plugged to other device. The hardisk also had a burnt metal smell, plus damaged too..

So, for those who says they never comes across such a thing, really it does happen. When electronics/eletrical circuit gets shorted, the amount of current passing thru will be very large until something is damaged, Ohm's law I=V/R, where R is 0 ohm in a short circuit.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 28th January 2009 at 05:39 PM.