Thread: dslr

Default dslr

hi all. im a newbie interested in picking up photography seriously as a hobby but i have yet to splurge on a dslr camera yet. there are so many products out there and i seriously have no idea what to consider, what's good and what's bad about all the cameras out there. criteria for the camera would be affordable (subjective i know..) and have features that an amateur would commonly use. any suggestions?

Default Re: dslr

Quote Originally Posted by caronokl View Post
    hi all. im a newbie interested in picking up photography seriously as a hobby but i have yet to splurge on a dslr camera yet. there are so many products out there and i seriously have no idea what to consider, what's good and what's bad about all the cameras out there. criteria for the camera would be affordable (subjective i know..) and have features that an amateur would commonly use. any suggestions?
    try 2nd hand to see if it suits your tastes?

with Nikon and Canon as well as Sony offerings for beginners, you be spoilt for choice. once you outgrow them, can consider names like Leica, Pentax and even Hassleblad if budget permitting.
    Last edited by Reportage; 26th January 2009 at 12:55 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Eeeesh... That basically means that any camera would suit your needs. Are you really sure you need to get a DSLR camera? You may be happier with a so-called bridge camera, like the Panasonic LX3.

Figure out first what your shooting style is, what you really like shooting, then determine if you really need a DSLR. If your current equipment is not limiting you, don't spend good $$$.
    Alpha

Your description is quite generic. There are amateurs who rarely go beyond the AUTO mode and there are amateurs who spend a fortune on their hobby and explore the limits. The question is rather: what are your ambitions? Just a casual snapper for family, friends and some holiday pictures? Or do you see yourself dipping deeper into the topic ("making pictures" instead of snapping away).
    Read about the concepts first, DSLR vs. PnS camera. Both have their specific characteristics. Basically, DSLR requires you to learn more about technology and technique of taking pictures but rewards you with full control over all details, exchangeable lenses, external flash and many other additional gear (which in return can cost a lot of money). PnS needs less learning and is smaller (lighter, also cheaper) but has limitations due to construction (fixed lens, less accessories). Both are able to deliver good pictures once the person behind the viewfinder puts efforts in. None can read your mind and turn lousy skills into "WOW" pictures.