Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense is a survivial tool

Default Re: Self Defense is a survivial tool

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Street Self-defence is what you need to arm yourself with
    especially in an emergency whether you are carrying camera gears or not.
    Some tips from the links below:
    Thanks.
    Would amend to the list that stay alert when in unfamiliar/quiet areas or neighborhood which is known to have problems. Go in groups.

Self-defense is useful but best is to stay away from potential troubles if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    personally, i think the best way to avoid such trouble is alertness, alertness, alertness. you can carry all the weapons or attend all the martial arts class you want; it doesn't matter, everything goes to naught when you are taken by surprise and by larger numbers.

prevention is better than cure. if you are hanging around a dangerous place after dark, you can be bruce lee, i don't think it will make a difference when you get a lead pipe over the back of your head.
    Fully agree.
    Won't suggest carrying a knife... all you need is to shock the attacker and get away from him/her asap. - nb I believe most people do not react properly when attacked because they were shocked by the attacker, so if you do the same to the attacker then you stand a chance of getting out of trouble. No need to exchange punches/kickes etc.

instead of a knife, i would suggests a torchlight with a strike bezel instead. strong enough to knock out someone if used properly, and doesn't look lethal

if the police asks you why you're carrying it on you, simply say it's for your photography use..
    eat. drink. shoot

I would strongly discourage bringing along a combat knife exclusively for self-defense. Unless it's like a bowie (which is an obviously offensive weapon that will get you in trouble), it won't look terribly intimidating. Smaller knives are best used for surprise attacks, so you don't want to be flashing those around either. Besides they don't always have good stopping power, so they are likely to wind up causing more harm than good for the untrained user (or even a moderately trained user facing a group).

What's most important is a self-defense device that's always at hand. That means something you carry in the hand (yes, that includes the camera) or your monopod. In a panic situation, one can forget to draw the concealed weapon. Anyway, don't forget that the camera is still ultimately expendable when faced with bodily harm. If you can't talk them off or run fast enough, giving it to them may help. Preferably by clubbing the assailant with it, or throwing the camera at the assailant.

Street Self-defence is what you need to arm yourself with
    especially in an emergency whether you are carrying camera gears or not.
    Some tips from the links below:

1. Having a walking stick, monopod or any other device
    is useless if you haven't learn how to hit with an effective striking method.

2. When you learn to hit two or three times as hard and at the right
    place you will be able to frighten or even drop attackers many times
    your sizes easily.

3. Ability to apply self-defense moves with any poles and sticks using the
    thrust or ram method.

4. Best bet is to simply learn to fight with a rod-like tool
    with a swift action of ramming it horizontally at your target.
    The tool can be just 12" to 15" long and can be kept inside your
    cheap camera bag. (Never carry an expensive camera bag when you
    are out alone in remote places)

5. Are you an easy target for attack because you are not aware of
    having certain visible clues, so be aware of your immediate surroundings
    even when you are resting on a bench in board daylight. Never close your
    eyes with your camera bags beside you.

http://www.self-defense-videos.com/s...sales_page.htm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...?page=2&cat=50

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...men.html?cat=5

Fortunately during the early days of Bruce Lee and being an ardent fan,
    the art of self-defense had be implemented among my peers.
    Seeing is believing for sure many would believe that this is
    one of the most important survival tool in today's society.
    Never go without it!
    you watch too much movies liao.

so our army boys trained in unarm combat can fight off tugs / rubbers with ease lor, since most would have green or brown belt by the time they ord.
    Last edited by denniskee; 28th January 2009 at 06:46 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    I would strongly discourage bringing along a combat knife exclusively for self-defense. Unless it's like a bowie (which is an obviously offensive weapon that will get you in trouble), it won't look terribly intimidating. Smaller knives are best used for surprise attacks, so you don't want to be flashing those around either. Besides they don't always have good stopping power, so they are likely to wind up causing more harm than good for the untrained user (or even a moderately trained user facing a group).

What's most important is a self-defense device that's always at hand. That means something you carry in the hand (yes, that includes the camera) or your monopod. In a panic situation, one can forget to draw the concealed weapon. Anyway, don't forget that the camera is still ultimately expendable when faced with bodily harm. If you can't talk them off or run fast enough, giving it to them may help. Preferably by clubbing the assailant with it, or throwing the camera at the assailant.
    There are other devices which could be used other than knives. An example is a pair of
    drum sticks used for beating the drums during the lion dance often seen during the lunar
    new year period. However one must be able to have some skills training in the effective
    use of the pair of drum sticks for self-defense purposes.

Anyone can give me some advice on the following?

1. Once you've subdued your attacker, your self defense claim is gone, (when the
    case is brought to court) is this true?

2. Can people use pepper spray for self-defense? Is this consider a deadly weapon in court?
    Last edited by forward; 29th January 2009 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
    Thanks.
    Would amend to the list that stay alert when in unfamiliar/quiet areas or neighborhood which is known to have problems. Go in groups.

Self-defense is useful but best is to stay away from potential troubles if you can.
    Attackers will never allow their victims a chance for escape.
    They watch closely, aim and strike at the moment when their victims are least alert.

When you are well trained in some form of self defense specially in sincere well
    guided instructions, the first step is to increase your alertness to sound - the ability to
    hear "sound of danger" so to say, even when you are in very dimmed places or even when
    there isn't any light at all.

You will not learn to throw punches until your hearing abilities are adequate enough
    to detect someone trying to strike you while walking in the dark.

I was almost frightened to death when I witnessed an incident where the attackers
    walked into the coffee shop where I was having my usual cup of coffee at
    around 10.30pm in the evening.

Suddenly they used their motor cycle helmets and hit on the person sitting across my
    table causing a commotion. The victim was badly hurted and within less than five
    minutes the attackers disappeared leaving the victims on the floor with a pool of blood.

At that very moment I was confused and it was that incident that brought me to the
    attention and the importance of being able to have some skills in self-defense.

This incident alone made me to finally decide to pick up martial arts skills so that I can
    at least protect myself in such similar situation in the future.

I was almost frightened to death when I witnessed an incident where the attackers
    walked into the coffee shop where I was having my usual cup of coffee at
    around 10.30pm in the evening.

Suddenly they used their motor cycle helmets and hit on the person sitting across my
    table causing a commotion. The victim was badly hurted and within less than five
    minutes the attackers disappeared leaving the victims on the floor with a pool of blood.

At that very moment I was confused and it was that incident that brought me to the
    attention and the importance of being able to have some skills in self-defense.

This incident alone made me to finally decide to pick up martial arts skills so that I can
    at least protect myself in such similar situation in the future.
    I also witnessed the same thing some while ago. It prompted me to wear a helmet when I Lim Kopi in the Kopitiam.

I stopped learning martial art when I broke 2 of my sparing partner's teeth. My instructor says I'm too aggresive but I would say my sparring partner was not alert enough to block my kick. But I tell you its useless even if you are a black belt when you face a group of attackers armed with weapons. My sifu says, "Never get into a fight even if you think you can win" Best is run if you can.

One more thing is that, if you fight back, you are going to get more than just a bump on the head. You will provoke your attackers and they inturn will get the **** out of you.

Put on a friendly face in public. Some ppl just cant stand snobbish face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I also witnessed the same thing some while ago. It prompted me to wear a helmet when I Lim Kopi in the Kopitiam.
    From young I was taught to choose seat with back to wall, facing entrance...

Self defense is as much mental as it is physical.
    All instructors will teach to firstly try defush the situation or if not, to run away.

Learning to fight/self defense is only for situations when giving up all your belongings is not enough.(eg.robbery and want to silence you) Or when the intent is to harm without valid reasons.(eg.gang initiation). Nowadays, its often hack first without saying a word...

In which case, fight with brutal intensity, bringing yourself from 0% state to 100% violent state in a sec.This mental capacity and the skills involved to effectively defend yourself requires training.

Prepare to get hurt, even cut brutally. But do not stop. If your life is at stake, you do not stop fighting.

Where the law is concerned, how far you go depends on the attackers intention. If a guy slaps u, you take a tripod hit him, then you may be in trouble...lol

However, if a guy takes a knife and come at you, even a stick and has began repeatedly hitting you. AND IF you think your life is in danger, then do not hesitate to go the full extent to defend your own life. If someone is ready to take your life and you're not ready to do the same, your chances of survival drops drastically. However, do not cross from self defense to being the aggressor..

Anyway, just my 2cts, and I hope it'll help someone someday..
    If not, just ignore as my rubbish ramblings...
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 29th January 2009 at 10:50 AM.

Maybe photographers should learn the techniques of street fights, something along the line of Krav Maga..

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I watched all Bruce Lee's films at least 10 times.

I can tell you Bruce Lee will duck the lead pipe, release a blow to your groin, swipe your feet so that you fall, fly kick into your chest and finally give you a chop to the head.
    Bruce Lee was so ancient .... now you have to watch "Crouching Tiger" 10 times to walk on water or run away by flying thru treetops to escape these modern young hooligens
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Bruce Lee was so ancient .... now you have to watch "Crouching Tiger" 10 times to walk on water or run away by flying thru treetops to escape these modern young hooligens

Must watch Ip Man too..

There are other devices which could be used other than knives. An example is a pair of
    drum sticks used for beating the drums during the lion dance often seen during the lunar
    new year period. However one must be able to have some skills training in the effective
    use of the pair of drum sticks for self-defense purposes.

Anyone can give me some advice on the following?

1. Once you've subdued your attacker, your self defense claim is gone, (when the
    case is brought to court) is this true?

2. Can people use pepper spray for self-defense? Is this consider a deadly weapon in court?
    Once you've subdued your attacker, that means that your attacker isn't able to attack you any more.
    Of which in short..
    That means you are not allowed to inflict any extra injuries or pain to him.

Pepper spray is illegal in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by mfbatzap View Post

Must watch Ip Man too..
    YOU DONT MESS WITH THE ZOHAN....

guys, i think bruce saw this thread, came into my dream last night, request me to tell you this

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

if you talking about fighting as it is, no rules, than baby, you better train every part of your body.

if you prefers to listen to his voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzLhiWd9Efw
    Last edited by denniskee; 29th January 2009 at 12:59 PM.

better still this one much easier .....

Wax on .... Wax off ... Wax on ... Wax off ....

Go figure out lah.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    better still this one much easier .....

Wax on .... Wax off ... Wax on ... Wax off ....

Go figure out lah.. haha
    u mean bikini hot waxing? yah baby, smokinggggg!!

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    u mean bikini hot waxing? yah baby, smokinggggg!!
    haha .. At least u will not be assaulted right ? ...

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    I stopped learning martial art when I broke 2 of my sparing partner's teeth. My instructor says I'm too aggresive but I would say my sparring partner was not alert enough to block my kick. But I tell you its useless even if you are a black belt when you face a group of attackers armed with weapons. My sifu says, "Never get into a fight even if you think you can win" Best is run if you can.
    This is exactly what my sifu said when one of the students as him (whom is a security guard), "Sifu, how to fight back when some attacks you with a knife? how about a gun?". Sifu said, "fight your head, run as fast as you can, of course !"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast