Thread: Does the local media respect intellectual property of local photographers?

Default Does the local media respect intellectual property of local photographers?

A story about how Straits Times and Today sometimes overlook crediting the local photographers properly, never mind paying for the photographers.

http://redsports.sg/2009/01/25/copyright-credit-sph/

Default Re: Does the local media respect intellectual property of local photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by lestming View Post
    A story about how Straits Times and Today sometimes overlook crediting the local photographers properly, never mind paying for the photographers.
    I think there has been a fair bit of discussion here about this topic and I think one of our prominent CS photog has also challenged ST some time back ... But i think the answer is a NO ...
    Touch the Moments ... Hold the colours of Joy

Default Re: Does the local media respect intellectual property of local photographers?

What do you expect. Of course not.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by lestming View Post

http://redsports.sg/2009/01/25/copyright-credit-sph/
    if you want to be sure but somewhat obtrusive, place the copyright right in the middle of the photos and make it as long as possible so that they do not photoshop things on top to mask the copyright..
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

should i worry about my avatar?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    should i worry about my avatar?
    Yeah... should definitely worry like this!

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    Yeah... should definitely worry like this!

u should have shrank the words alittle more, the green orb covered liao not nice ler...

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post

u should have shrank the words alittle more, the green orb covered liao not nice ler...
    But if the words become smaller wait they photoshop away how?

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    But if the words become smaller wait they photoshop away how?
    Bandai will sue them!

local media is big Bandai oso big.

I shot a portrait of a reknown furniture designer Patricia Urquiola and it was published in business times...no credit at all
    when i look at all the other photos in business times, its credited to either foreign agencies or SPH's own photographer.

of cos they dun gif a hoot.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

if i may comment, so far in my dealings with ST and other people from the media, they had been very professional in so far as copyrights to images. They will get a photographer to do the shoot and will select from them. even when i offered them some images out of convenience, they refused to accept them as they hinted the company has very strict rules on image publication. They always prefer to produce their own pictures. (A 1 series Canon body is a norm as the company can afford these).

For the odd cases here, clearly some were misguided or did it out of deliberation against the co guidelines.

Another way the paparazzi does it is to take a picture of the picture (eg a picture on wall or picture stand). That way, they can claim the photo is theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    if i may comment, so far in my dealings with ST and other people from the media, they had been very professional in so far as copyrights to images. They will get a photographer to do the shoot and will select from them. even when i offered them some images out of convenience, they refused to accept them as they hinted the company has very strict rules on image publication. They always prefer to produce their own pictures. (A 1 series Canon body is a norm as the company can afford these).

For the odd cases here, clearly some were misguided or did it out of deliberation against the co guidelines.

Another way the paparazzi does it is to take a picture of the picture (eg a picture on wall or picture stand). That way, they can claim the photo is theirs.
    Sure they do.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

vince123123
    Guests

Taking a photo of a photo would very likely be copyright infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post