Thread: Standard of Singapore photography

Default Standard of Singapore photography

While studying in UK, I have access to many weekly/monthly UK photography magazines. I love to look at photographs posted by many amateur/pro photographers. Since I love nature, my favourite subjects are landscape. I am a sucker for Scotland/Lake & Peak District photos.

But after I come back and discovered Clubsnap, I realized many of our photographers takes great pictures of flowers/insects (and recently I notice, birds). I strongly encourage Singapore photographers to join contests or just send in portfolio to the UK magazines (Amateur Photographer/Photography Monthly) and show them our standard!

landscape wise, i find singapore somewhat lacking in this aspect with the limited places to shoot. i know what constitutes a gd photo shouldnt juz be beautiful landscapes... techinical skills, moods captured also play an important part but to me the wow factor in landscapes still largely depend on the beauty of the scenery itself....i dunno how many pple thinks the same way.

Maybe something to illustrate my point
    http://www.pbase.com/image/13214982

Quote Originally Posted by Mystix
    landscape wise, i find singapore somewhat lacking in this aspect with the limited places to shoot. i know what constitutes a gd photo shouldnt juz be beautiful landscapes... techinical skills, moods captured also play an important part but to me the wow factor in landscapes still largely depend on the beauty of the scenery itself....i dunno how many pple thinks the same way.

Maybe something to illustrate my point
    http://www.pbase.com/image/13214982
    somehow you made it sound like shooting models.

if the model is pretty it's much easier to shoot, if the models is not so pretty it's harder to get a good picture....

So same applies for landscape? and everything else maybe? hehe....
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by SianZronG

if the model is pretty it's much easier to shoot, if the models is not so pretty it's harder to get a good picture....

as i've already mentioned in my post, what constitutes a gd photo does not depend juz on the landscape itself, it depends on all aspects of photography. What i'm talking bout is the wow factor.

Quote Originally Posted by SianZronG

Hypothetical scenario:
    A: Very nice photos but why all your photos of the model dont show the face..?
    B: Oh, because model's face ugly..
    A: Oh-so...I see...but good photos all the same...its good that you can still squeeze good pics out...

I can think of 2 urban architectures which would be worth taking and submitting (if done well): the Esplanade and the bridge next to it. There are so many perspectives and context that can be derived out of it.

Other than that, we have our peranakan houses which we think we have photographed to death but in actual fact, not many foreigners have seen the fusion architecture and the local modifications we have done to their architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystix
    as i've already mentioned in my post, what constitutes a gd photo does not depend juz on the landscape itself, it depends on all aspects of photography. What i'm talking bout is the wow factor.
    I fully agree with what you say.

1. A Good model with a Lousy photographer with Lousy Lighting/Setting = Lousy picture of a Good model in a lousy Lighting/Setting.

2. A Lousy model with a Good photographer with a Good Lighting = Good picture of a Lousy model in a Good lighting/Setting.

3. A Good model with a Lousy photographer with Good Lighting/Setting= Lousy Picture of a Good model in Good Lighting/Setting.

To get a picture with a Wow factor, you need at least a Good Patience Photographer and a Good Attractive model in a Suitable Lighting and Pleasant Composition.