Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: danger in shooting alone.

Default Re: danger in shooting alone.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    eh, wads the odds of outrunning more peps with no barang-barang?

yeah, i know there is no hard-&-fast rule wad to look out for. most times its the not so clear stuff that slips through. thatz why i start this thread. to discuss.

but some do, like me.
    You'll be surprised how much faster you can run if you are chased for real. Besides, these people have less motivation and incentive run than you do.

Of course, I'm not saying you'll have a 100% chance of escaping if it so happens. Just that I feel it's the best thing to do in such a situation. If you want to up your chances, you could leave your stuff behind I guess.

ok im sorry but this is one incident... and hasnt happened many times before in singapore, other countries it probably has, but singapore i cant find another incident of a photographer being attacked.

there are only two main motives for getting into a fight, either to steal or the attacker feels threatened..

its so unlikely to get attacked randomly
    who knows, the guys that was bashed that guy over the head couldve been on drugs or drunk..

if someone threatens you for your equipment your probably better off just giving it to them...

as someone said earlier, training in a martial art is one thing, street fighting is something completely different, and if there is more than 2-3 ppl your pretty much screwed however good you are at martial arts XD

just my 2 cents..

For those who really thinks learning martial arts is the way to go, i strongly recommend Muay Thai. But first, get your body toned for next 12mths and be really really fit.

tkd, judo, aikido, karate, etc are ok, but the path to learn how to really fight or defend is way too long and slow.

In the end, it may be better to forget the incident, be safe and enjoy photography.

Yes, everyone have a point here. It's better to have a companion esp when you're not sure of the place. But this situation is a lesson for us, then again singa is a very safe place to live, a lot of places are worse than this. If ever I'm in that situation maybe this will help??
    [IMG][/IMG]
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

Flash the flash in their face, at same time take pic as evidence den run for your life.

Quote Originally Posted by billycadiz View Post
    Yes, everyone have a point here. It's better to have a companion esp when you're not sure of the place. But this situation is a lesson for us, then again singa is a very safe place to live, a lot of places are worse than this. If ever I'm in that situation maybe this will help??
    maybe oni for XMM?...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

[IMG][/IMG]
    haha, trying to counter the bad guys by looking innocently-adorable!!! good idea

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    haha, trying to counter the bad guys by looking innocently-adorable!!! good idea
    u cant be seriously thinking of that. if attacked from the back got no chance to act innocent...

when the motive for violence may not be clear, or non existent at all. wait the hooligans tot this wan easy target, wun fight back wan, MTL!!

ladies can learn self defense, guys can build some big muscles.
    lastly, going with a companion who has the above quality could work too.

Quote Originally Posted by rphotography View Post
    ladies can learn self defense, guys can build some big muscles.
    lastly, going with a companion who has the above quality could work too.
    might as well say ladies can build big muscles, & guys should learn how to scream like ladies!

how does 1 protect oneself from harm?
    One word: Manfrotto, especially the older aluminum ones. I can't count the times it helped me make my way through massive crowds (e.g. NDP, SGGP), stray dogs, and would-be thugs.

And yes, it helps take great pictures too

might as well say ladies can build big muscles, & guys should learn how to scream like ladies!
    Miss Olympia ?

scream like ladies????? then pretend to be a gay perhaps!
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

scream like ladies????? then pretend to be a gay perhaps!
    not a good idea. could be beaten up worse

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Miss Olympia ?
    like Miss sORe(Olympia)-EyEz?!!

,.. no thank u.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    One word: Manfrotto, especially the older aluminum ones. I can't count the times it helped me make my way through massive crowds (e.g. NDP, SGGP), stray dogs, and would-be thugs.

And yes, it helps take great pictures too
    i tot for the longest time when speed in the essence, most tripods are slow to respond. more so if a cam is attached, with 3 legs spread out during a shoot. but of course, if in its compact form its quite an effective defensive barrier, but not ideal for counter attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by rphotography View Post
    not a good idea. could be beaten up worse
    LMAO!
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

i tot for the longest time when speed in the essence, most tripods are slow to respond. more so if a cam is attached, with 3 legs spread out during a shoot. but of course, if in its compact form its quite an effective defensive barrier, but not ideal for counter attacking.
    Like Sun Tzu once said, the best weapons are those you don't need to use, and the best wars are the ones you don't have to fight.

Of course, when deterrence doesn't work, it's time to extend the tripod to a nice length, with the weighty ballhead on one end. NOTE: Don't try this at home (or outside) if you have puny arms to begin with. In such a case, the best strategy for you is to RUNNNNN!!!

Wear a good pair of running shoes.

Seriously. Then make sure your bagflaps are securely strapped down so you don't spill your expensive Carl Zeiss lenses when you're making a bolt for it. That's what I do when I explore places alone. And having a good sense of situational awareness is also important, no matter where you are. Pretend you're a war journalist, trying to scope out snipers and dodge bullets.

Tripod only hamper your movement, and how are you going to use it? In all likelihood, one hand will be already holding your camera/bag.

I'll still go shooting alone. Another shooting partner is more "din-deh" for me.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    having a good sense of situational awareness is also important, no matter where you are.
    Be prepared (I think that's a scouting slogan )

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Tripod only hamper your movement, and how are you going to use it? In all likelihood, one hand will be already holding your camera/bag.
    At this point, for the well-being of all fellow CSers, I'd like to reiterate, know thyself. If you're already huffing and puffing carrying a few lenses in your backpack, FORGET the tripod. Invest money in decent Asics or New Balances. However if you're fit enough, there's no better friend then a tripod, both photographically and situationally.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast