Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: danger in shooting alone.

Default Re: danger in shooting alone.

Self defence?

Karate, taekwando? Well, those thugs, gangster also learn some martial arts too.

And if we watch too much movies, thinking that a hero could overpower a few thugs within seconds, please think again.

Usually, a gang wins readily against a lone defender.

Even a karate black belt would have difficulties fighting off 5 gangsters.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Self defence?

Karate, taekwando? Well, those thugs, gangster also learn some martial arts too.

And if we watch too much movies, thinking that a hero could overpower a few thugs within seconds, please think again.

agree with ur opinion that movies are still movies. & thugs may have some form of martial arts training too. read a newspaper or New Paper article that they have sparing sessions at home when parents are out working.

more practical perhaps is when in such a situation, how does 1 minimise the damage to personal belongings. like some pointed out using a tripod as an improvised weapon. i think its far from ideal- hollow tubedlegs cracks or dents too easily wadever its made of...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Train your sprinting and learn to shout/scream/yell with your diaphragm while doing so.

When the adrenaline's pumping and it's a question of flight or fight, flight would usually be much much safer.

I advocate the part about alertness too. What you have to be alert of, we can't help you with that.

i rarely shoot alone. I prefer to shoot with a group of people or at least 3 to 4 person if we are going to somewhere isolated....

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    Train your sprinting and learn to shout/scream/yell with your diaphragm while doing so.

When the adrenaline's pumping and it's a question of flight or fight, flight would usually be much much safer.

I advocate the part about alertness too. What you have to be alert of, we can't help you with that.
    eh, wads the odds of outrunning more peps with no barang-barang?

yeah, i know there is no hard-&-fast rule wad to look out for. most times its the not so clear stuff that slips through. thatz why i start this thread. to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    i rarely shoot alone. I prefer to shoot with a group of people or at least 3 to 4 person if we are going to somewhere isolated....
    but some do, like me.

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Self defence?

Most local martial arts had been revised so that kids do not learn the deadly strikes.

in street fighting, there is no rule, no referee and no compassion. (ie, no one can stop the attacker from hitting you at your groin area with a club).

You want to hit, you hit it so hard that it handicaps the opponent within 3 strikes. You do not hit to gain points as in a competition.

Honestly, the best way is to walk off from a fight whether or not you feel like attacking or going to be wacked.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Most local martial arts had been revised so that kids do not learn the deadly strikes.

in street fighting, there is no rule, no referee and no compassion. (ie, no one can stop the attacker from hitting you at your groin area with a club).
    you are also not informed, like the way you are in martial arts training..

what weapon is going to be used, how the opponent will come at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I am safe.

I often shoot with a few XMMs and 50 other GWCs.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    agree with ur opinion that movies are still movies. & thugs may have some form of martial arts training too. read a newspaper or New Paper article that they have sparing sessions at home when parents are out working.

more practical perhaps is when in such a situation, how does 1 minimise the damage to personal belongings. like some pointed out using a tripod as an improvised weapon. i think its far from ideal- hollow tubedlegs cracks or dents too easily wadever its made of...
    now that you remind me, used to have those sparing sessions when i was in secondary sch, good training though, aimed for the face or head most of the time.
    whoever strikes the 1st knockout blow, wins especially when the opponent is down on the floor after the 1st strike.
    but that is still purely 1 on 1 basis...

so running is still the best hope when faced with a gang, good thing is i did lots of sprinting during soccer sessions...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 25th January 2009 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I am safe.

I often shoot with a few XMMs and 50 other GWCs. :
    WOW! can i join you nextime???? I feel very safe inside the hotel.
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

When confronted with a bunch of thugs, self defence ain't gonna help you much

I'd just fly as fast as my two legs can carry me

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    so running is still the best hope when faced with a gang, good thing is i did lots of sprinting during soccer sessions...

iPOD's ART of WAR? Run if you can't fight today, There will always be a tomolo.
    It's better 2 be a coward than in a cold coffin lying.

Can I add "awareness" to this picture? even just abit when travelling alone?
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I am safe.

I often shoot with a few XMMs and 50 other GWCs.
    i tot you have ninja darts?

xmm cant protect you alright. they are only left with two pieces fabric. I cant imagine them removing their bra to strangle the bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post

You want to hit, you hit it so hard that it handicaps the opponent within 3 strikes. You do not hit to gain points as in a competition.

Honestly, the best way is to walk off from a fight whether or not you feel like attacking or going to be wacked.
    thatz my issue, i am trying to cover a situation where its so bad u/i cant run away from. & with that in mind deal with those odds!

now that you remind me, used to have those sparing sessions when i was in secondary sch, good training though, aimed for the face or head most of the time.
    whoever strikes the 1st knockout blow, wins especially when the opponent is down on the floor after the 1st strike.
    but that is still purely 1 on 1 basis...

eh, sprinting in soccer never cover how to pack up fast fast if camera fixed on tripod, need to change lense den keep gears... surely never run with a cam bag with loads easily up to 3kgs...

Quote Originally Posted by billycadiz View Post
    iPOD's ART of WAR? Run if you can't fight today, There will always be a tomolo.
    It's better 2 be a coward than in a cold coffin lying.

Can I add "awareness" to this picture? even just abit when travelling alone?
    gotta ask, would u leave ALL ur gears behind when u run away?!!

To me I think it's all about luck.

I have been shooting for the last 20 years and went through many places around Singapore and many other countries. Never did i once encounter this incident. It's just one of those unlucky timing with a bunch of hooligans.

I carry 2 cameras with me all the time and never did I will think someone will attack me from behind.

Anyway, now something like that has happen the perception will change to many photographers.

The best solution so far is to go out in pairs. When I was studying in Australia, I always invited one to two Aussie mate out for photoshoot especially during night shoots. We always carry a heavy duty monopod or a tripod to fend outselves if there was an attack.

Anyway, there are much more photographers nowadays compare to my days. So, finding a partner is easy.

eh, sprinting in soccer never cover how to pack up fast fast if camera fixed on tripod, need to change lense den keep gears... surely never run with a cam bag with loads easily up to 3kgs...
    3kg, didn't ns train us to run with full bo on soc, which is more than 3kg ?
    lucky i don't have any mid range or FF cam, sure to be heavy if need to run while carrying them...

3kg, didn't ns train us to run with full bo on soc, which is more than 3kg ?
    lucky i don't have any mid range or FF cam, sure to be heavy if need to run while carrying them...
    camera gears can survive SOC meh...

wait
    body:
    . mirror jam
    . chips kaputt

lense:
    . elements mis-align
    . barrel kenna serious distortion

camera gears can survive SOC meh...

wait
    body:
    . mirror jam
    . chips kaputt

lense:
    . elements mis-align
    . barrel kenna serious distortion

don't tell me your cam bag is not padded with cushion ?
    anyway the durability of some dslr is not to be underestimated.
    some of them is tough as a nut.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 26th January 2009 at 12:15 AM.

don't tell me your cam bag is not padded with cushion ?
    anyway the durability of your dslr is not to be underestimated.
    some of them is tough as a nut.
    got cushion lah, but i not willing to test it out that way. neither will i use my tripod to for self defence...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast