Thread: Morning Glory

Default Morning Glory

Was at Sentosa Flower today and saw this morning glory flower near the beach train station. Found an interesting angle of the flowers, and hence i decided to compose this shot with a shallow depth of field to bring out this particular pair of morning glories. Shot under reasonable cloud cover.

Shot with EOS450D on EF 50mm F/1.8 II, hand held. No image editing done.
    EXIF DATA: 1/1000 sec shutter, F/1.8 aperture, focal length 50mm, ISO-100

Comments on compostion, techniques to improve such macro shots, etc.

Happy Chinese New Year to everyone!

Default Re: Morning Glory

Few thoughts how to improve this one

- the background is more bright; which disturbs me. Maybe a square format? To cut off the top which doesn't add anything
    - but then again the foreground with the stem and the resulting line going down is distracting; and so is the one sticking out to the right - remove them
    - equally - the 2 brown pieces bottom left. Distracting

Try to get everything 'removed' that doesn't add. Bring out the flower, which is your main subject

I sometimes clone out or burn disturbing pieces.

Give it a try with this one; retouch - and repost (<<< was my daughter who had to click on the icon...)
    Last edited by btrenkel; 25th January 2009 at 10:57 AM.

The both the color and composition is dull.
    Don't be afraid to stick your camera right into the flower, or try a different angle than the usual front flower shot. Try from the back or the side, etc.

Increase the saturation to bring out the color of the flower, crop out and blur the leaves a bit more.

Keep shooting and don't forget to have FUN!

"The world would be a better place if people shot with a 50mm f1.4 than with an armour piercing 50mm ."

macro photography usually entails (not all encompassing):

1) going up close.. lose unnecessary elements in and around the background
    2) subject isolation (either through the use of shallow depth of field or lighting.. etc)
    3) interesting compositions (anything interesting in the composition that sets it apart from a "typical" shot of it)
    4) lighting and textures of the subject close up.. (variations in colour.. patterns.. etc)

also.. agree with previous posters on the flatness of the colours and lighting..