Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Assaulted at Fort Canning Park

Default Re: Assaulted at Fort Canning Park

Yes this is real scary and it could happen to anyone.

This kind of situations will get more common when the economy turn worst and especially Singapore attracts so many foreign workers previously. Many will gets laid off as the job market get worst.

Anyway for street shooting, it is better to go in small group so that one can look after for each other.

Speedy recovery TS.
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

TS, sad to hear that, hope you have a speedy recovery and justice will get hold of those responsible.

Having a weapon is only effective if you know how to use it. It might be used against you otherwise. I wouldn't even consider Fort Canning 'deserted'. Shite happens I guess.

Really unfortunate for TS to encounter this incident. Get well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    The victim has much to be blamed as the attackers. If he has not been tempting them by showing his expensive camera in a quiet and isolated place....
    WTF?!?! Are women who get raped to be blamed too?!?!?!

No doubt diligence has to be exercised at all times, regardless of whether you're in Singapore, or Chicago south side.

To TS: Sorry about this incident. Pls don't let this cramp your life in anyway. Exercise more diligence and caution next in future. Bring a monopod/tripod along, helps with stray dogs and thugs too.

Allow me to share my experience some 5 years ago. There was a driving range in Ports Down road that I used to frequent. It's a long winding road to get in, not to mention fairy isolated. While there is a bus service in, I enjoy walking in. One evening, around 6:45pm as I was walking back, I noticed a group of Indian (NOTE: pls don't make a fuss about Indians, foreign workers etc etc, this is not the point) laborers following me. There was some 4 of them on my check. As they drew closer, I had some choices: confront, run, or ignore. All 3 choices aren't too great given the circumstances. So I took out my trusty pitching wedge and playfully brandished it along side. The laborers slowed down, and before long, the threat subsided. I still returned next week, albeit with the bus. I refuse to let some lowlife dogs affect my lifestyle in ANY way.

This was 5 years ago when the economy was in full throttle. Now is desperate times, making desperate people take brainlessly desperate actions. Just be more diligent and watchful. And yes, strong tripod too
    Last edited by Gunbucker; 27th January 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    WTF?!?! Are women who get raped to be blamed too?!?!?!

No doubt diligence has to be exercised at all times, regardless of whether you're in Singapore, or Chicago south side.

To TS: Sorry about this incident. Pls don't let this cramp your life in anyway. Exercise more diligence and caution next in future. Bring a monopod/tripod along, helps with stray dogs and thugs too.

Allow me to share my experience some 5 years ago. There was a driving range in Ports Down road that I used to frequent. It's a long winding road to get in, not to mention fairy isolated. While there is a bus service in, I enjoy walking in. One evening, around 6:45pm as I was walking back, I noticed a group of Indian (NOTE: pls don't make a fuss about Indians, foreign workers etc etc, this is not the point) laborers following me. There was some 4 of them on my check. As they drew closer, I had some choices: confront, run, or ignore. All 3 choices aren't too great given the circumstances. So I took out my trusty pitching wedge and playfully brandished it along side. The laborers slowed down, and before long, the threat subsided. I still returned next week, albeit with the bus. I refuse to let some lowlife dogs affect my lifestyle in ANY way.

This was 5 years ago when the economy was in full throttle. Now is desperate times, making desperate people take brainlessly desperate actions. Just be more diligent and watchful. And yes, strong tripod too
    what was the pitching wedge u took out? How big?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyeyedpsycho View Post
    Having a weapon is only effective if you know how to use it. It might be used against you otherwise. I wouldn't even consider Fort Canning 'deserted'. Shite happens I guess.

Really unfortunate for TS to encounter this incident. Get well soon!
    Ya, and weapon also no use if you're being ambushed.

Like the TS case, the ******* sneaked up to him and whack him directly without even a word. Got gun also no use.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    Ya, and weapon also no use if you're being ambushed.

Like the TS case, the ******* sneaked up to him and whack him directly without even a word. Got gun also no use.
    yah, ts is very lucky those A******* don't know how to hit it bigtime. I've seen a lot of young men grouping on various places, they're just there for the company, maybe if provoked or something, they will do some nasty things, 'coz the youngs feel the strength in numbers.
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

My trusty old TaylorMade steel shaft

Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    what was the pitching wedge u took out? How big?

O dear, I hope you recover soon & that the police can catch the culprits soon.

i'm getting a monopod to carry around ! i think it's going to be useful ! just one stroke or thrust into his brother... his manhood is crumbled with a loud scream of agony

i hate people who physically abused photographers...

Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    i'm getting a monopod to carry around ! i think it's going to be useful ! just one stroke or thrust into his brother... his manhood is crumbled with a loud scream of agony

i hate people who physically abused photographers...
    that impact may very well = monopod bye bye... that if u get to hit ur target, if miss leh? oso monopod bye bye...

buy cheap cheap wan hor...

have u seen the "light" yet?

Blog Entries

a monopod must come with a nice and heavy head to hold the camera steady
    think physics

Sorry to hear this... do take care and thanks for the sharing.

Have you all wondered....

Carrying a weapon is no use in this case. (Unless it's a gun which is not possible here.)

The person was attacked suddenly and he didn't even know why. Only suspect it's because of his cam.

So even if you have a weapon what can you do? It is only to try to inflict back pain on the attackers (Revenge, not self-defence here), which could not be done in the first place anyway cos they were running faster than the victim, and he was already hurt.

As for monopod, as suggested by some, it's quite questionable. It will hurt slightly when hit with but I don't think it will perform a useful tool for defence or attacking. And moreover, you can't possibly carry one whenever you are out shooting and don't need it for photography!

Honestly, it's extremely rare and I haven't heard of any case where someone carrying a cam in broad daylight in Singapore can be attacked like that. Bad people. Not sure if it's some mistaken identity.

That sucks. Take a page from the book of TF2. There's always a spy somewhere out there, waiting to plunge a butterfly knife into your back. Anyway, the economy's not so good, so the more desperate people may start figuring that the dslrs are expensive cameras. Better to be aware at least. Panic signallers like whistles may be useful, too. If only to call for help.

I'm handy with a quarterstaff, but I would not advocate using the monopod exclusively as a defensive weapon. Unless it is so exceedingly light that you will be very fast with it. Nothing worse than a heavy item that you can't swing properly, allowing the opponent to steal it. By the way, don't forget the merits of throwing sand, spitting in an eye or something similar to distract them enough for you to start running.
    Last edited by Kirika; 28th January 2009 at 11:36 AM.

before everyone start carrying a weapon and displaying it.......here is some cautionary words:

1) displaying your weapon might get you into trouble especially with the law....this is especially so when you are displaying a parang on your belt...

2) displaying your weapon might mean your attackers will aim to disarm you of it and possibly to use it against you....(u can see examples of this when thugs who get confronted by policemen who never draw their guns always aim for the holstered gun)

3) displaying your weapon might also mean a challenge to some thugs looking to create some trouble....

it is better to go in a group and when in deserted areas or when a threat is imminent, and to exercise vigilance. always keep the suspected threat in view...you never turn your back towards them....

vigilance goes a long way to prevent such attacks. hope everyone will snap and return safely....
    G

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    That sucks. Take a page from the book of TF2. There's always a spy somewhere out there, waiting to plunge a butterfly knife into your back. Anyway, the economy's not so good, so the more desperate people may start figuring that the dslrs are expensive cameras. Better to be aware at least. Panic signallers like whistles may be useful, too. If only to call for help.

I'm handy with a quarterstaff, but I would not advocate using the monopod exclusively as a defensive weapon. Unless it is so exceedingly light that you will be very fast with it. Nothing worse than a heavy item that you can't swing properly, allowing the opponent to steal it. By the way, don't forget the merits of throwing sand, spitting in an eye or something similar to distract them enough for you to start running.
    oh yes.....learning self-defense skills that are practical helps.....

example: wing chun style (?) by Ip Man...on a serious note, learn from the Israel army...in unarmed combat, they do whatever it takes to win, grab the balls, pull the hair, poke the eyes, bite, scratch......
    G

eh, i personally feel its betta not to pin hopes on passersby to come to ur aid. sometimes blow whistle until filled with saliva oso nobody respond....

hmmm... actually a bubblegum may work wonders in terms of distraction if know how to blow a huge bubble when attacked up close?...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    Have you all wondered....

Carrying a weapon is no use in this case. (Unless it's a gun which is not possible here.)

The person was attacked suddenly and he didn't even know why. Only suspect it's because of his cam.

So even if you have a weapon what can you do? It is only to try to inflict back pain on the attackers (Revenge, not self-defence here), which could not be done in the first place anyway cos they were running faster than the victim, and he was already hurt.

As for monopod, as suggested by some, it's quite questionable. It will hurt slightly when hit with but I don't think it will perform a useful tool for defence or attacking. And moreover, you can't possibly carry one whenever you are out shooting and don't need it for photography!

Honestly, it's extremely rare and I haven't heard of any case where someone carrying a cam in broad daylight in Singapore can be attacked like that. Bad people. Not sure if it's some mistaken identity.
    guess that many of us was shocked that such things happen in relatively safe singapore. we heard more of such thing at truely asia...

anyway, u solo photogs just be more careful... as of now, i think these ppl are still walking on the street...

Singaporeans live in a sterile cocoon and are lulled into a false sense of security. While I have utmost sympathy for the TS, he should never have stopped in a lonely place to fiddle with his camera or mobile, oblivious to the environment around him.

I am an avid traveller and I almost never let my guard down. Even when I have to stop to sms or use my mobile on the streets (especially in China), I would find a safe place, eg in front of a bank with security guards or a police post, to do so. And I always look behind and around me to look out for suspicious characters. I have had many of these characters hurriedly walk past me, simply because I turned around to look at them hence they know that I am aware and it spoils their element of surprise.

These unfortunate incidents can happen to anyone but you can lessen the chances of it happening to you if you stay alert!
    Last edited by astroboy; 28th January 2009 at 04:59 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast