Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

  1. #1

    Default 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Hi everyone,

    I’m rather new to DSLR… I have tried my best to read and learn, but I still come out with a question which I hope all senior bro and sis could help me out.

    I am looking for lenses suitable for a Canon 450D. Of course the suitable starter will be the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lenses, or the 18-200mm f/3.5–5.6 IS.

    Yet, something draws my attention: if I want to get a longer zoom range, I could probably choose the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + 55-250mm f/4-5.6, instead of choosing the 18-200mm f/3.5–5.6 IS.

    The combination is actually cheaper (from the price list I got from CS). And the aperture value is actually comparable (from my understanding)
    But, is it mean that 18-200 is only one piece (don’t need to change) compare to 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (2 pieces), thus more expensive?

    Or, the one piece 18-200mm f/3.5–5.6 IS is actually better in terms of IQ, and other features compare to the 2 pieces combination?

    Thanks

    p/s: roughly price get from CS
    450D kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ~$1130 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 ~ $360 = $1490
    450D kit 18-200mm f/3.5–5.6 IS ~ $1760

  2. #2
    Member jasonteoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    i think alot of Csers will recommend the combo of 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6...

  3. #3

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    hi
    18-200mm convenient, don't have to change lens but more expensive.
    18-55mm and 55-250mm, need to change lens but less expensive and better image quality.
    so i guess u are paying more for the convenience, for general photography 18-200 is ok only unless u really pixel peep

  4. #4
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    I am using a 18-200mm and it is my recommendation too...

    The "Cons" of using the 18-55mm is that the front element would rotate when focusing.. hence not ideal for CPL filters....

    Also how often do you think you would change lens during a outdoor shoot...

  5. #5

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonteoch View Post
    i think alot of Csers will recommend the combo of 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6...
    Quote Originally Posted by oat11 View Post
    hi
    18-200mm convenient, don't have to change lens but more expensive.
    18-55mm and 55-250mm, need to change lens but less expensive and better image quality.
    so i guess u are paying more for the convenience, for general photography 18-200 is ok only unless u really pixel peep
    Opss, I just realized this has been mentioned (just mentioned, not emphasized) in Dpreview...
    "Canon users will perhaps most wish to know whether the 18-200mm is a good replacement for the EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS kit lens combination. The primary advantage of the superzoom is simply that it eliminates the need to change lenses; it's also somewhat better built, and has a non-rotating front element which is an advantage for filter users. But the two-lens solution gives longer reach, and (although we've not yet formally tested the 55-250mm) we'd expect it to give nothing up in terms of optical quality; the overall weight is near-identical too. So overall, the answer isn't necessarily clear-cut."

    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._c16/page4.asp

    My mistake
    Hmm, yet the slightly cheap for the combination still attracts me.

  6. #6

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I am using a 18-200mm and it is my recommendation too...

    The "Cons" of using the 18-55mm is that the front element would rotate when focusing.. hence not ideal for CPL filters....

    Also how often do you think you would change lens during a outdoor shoot...
    The same thing has been reviewed in Dpreview "The filter thread is 58mm and rotates on focusing, which can be a pain for filter users."...

    But I don't understand, as I never used any lens...Is it means we cannot attached any filter on 18-55mm? Including UV filter?

  7. #7

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    But I don't understand, as I never used any lens...Is it means we cannot attached any filter on 18-55mm? Including UV filter?
    Can use for most of the filter, but it is may has some problem when using Circular Polarising filter.

    To learn more, see
    http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/gf-04.html
    http://digital-photography-school.co...rizing-filters
    Last edited by firefoxfirefly; 25th January 2009 at 06:22 AM.
    Fujifilm S5Pro, Tamron17~50 F2.8,

  8. #8
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    The two lens solution gives you greater reach and a cheaper price. The one lens solution gives you convenience. IQ wise we would expect the one with a larger zoom ratio to suffer more, and perhaps the two lens might have a wee bit of advantage. But again IQ is often not the top most priority and strong suit of such variable aperture hyperzooms.

    If you do not mind swapping lenses then the 2 lens combo works and prices great.

    Ryan

  9. #9

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Better IQ and cheaper at the cost of convenience. If switching lenses is a major inconvenience, then you have eliminated a big advantage of DSLRs. I don't like superzooms and would never recommend one, and most would recommend that you get the 18-55 + 55-250 anyway.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    The same thing has been reviewed in Dpreview "The filter thread is 58mm and rotates on focusing, which can be a pain for filter users."...

    But I don't understand, as I never used any lens...Is it means we cannot attached any filter on 18-55mm? Including UV filter?
    It affect mostly GND & CPL filters... UV filter is not affected...

  11. #11
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Better IQ and cheaper at the cost of convenience. If switching lenses is a major inconvenience, then you have eliminated a big advantage of DSLRs. I don't like superzooms and would never recommend one, and most would recommend that you get the 18-55 + 55-250 anyway.
    Have you tried covering an event/stage shoot (limited by your standing space), whereby you need to take tight portrait shots as well as group shots? During these situation you have no time/chance to change your lens.

    During these situation, I think you have four choices:

    1. Use a 18-200mm zoom to cover the whole event
    2. Get a second camera body and mount your other lens to it
    3. Shot wide for portrait shots & crop later when PP (you lose even more IQ)
    4. Miss either the wide angle or portrait shots (may not be acceptable if it is a paid event shooting)


    If you have other methods please let me know...

  12. #12

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Hi I'm a newbie too and jus bought the 1000D ( wanted to take the 450 but finds it abit bulky and softer pics ). I've been using the kit lens 18-55mm IS with great satisfaction even though I know it is not giving the best of IQ. I've also bought the less favoured 70-300mm USM lll zoom and that has also given some fine shots though it's not very sharp and very prone to handshake due to the long zoom ( but only cost me $59! ). I added a 50mm 1.8Mkll yesterday and have used it for walkabt at the Riverhongbao and it's been fantastic though i still have problem handling the sensitivity of the lens. I think this combination has served all my needs at the moment until I gained enough experience then will try the higher end lenses. Next will be an external flash and maybe Raynox???

  13. #13
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by dev2k8 View Post
    Hi I'm a newbie too and jus bought the 1000D ( wanted to take the 450 but finds it abit bulky and softer pics ).
    Actually this is the first time I hear that the 450D is bulky.... most people find it too small...

    For the "softer pics", both the 1000D & 450D uses the same AA filter... hence both are softer if you compared to the Nikon's offering. Hence I am not too sure why you say the 450D is softer than the 1000D?

  14. #14

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    I just upgraded from S3i to DSLR and I'm comparing the 450 to 1000D hence the word BULKY. I consider the 450 pics softer based on pics/comparisons/test results from several sites before i arrive at the conclusion that 450D pics are soft. That was in direct comparison to 400D/1000D and solely based on my research online without practical tests. In fact one site even advised that the default sharpness setting on the 450D be increased for better effect. No offence meant for 450D users.

  15. #15
    Member MarkTan89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boon Keng
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    The 18-55IS + 55-250IS is just a better overall package in terms of image quality. I was impressed with the image quality coming from such a budget telephoto lens. The 18-55IS also has similar performance characteristics and would make this 2 lens selection the ultimate travel combination for the beginner.

  16. #16

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Nice you are new to DSLR. some consideration that you want to take as i lost a couple of bucks before. First get the kit lens 18-55MM IS, try out shooting. See you are really keen to take photographs then get the telephoto. I think get 1 lens first then decide on a second one.
    18-200 will serve as a general purpose lens for you. If you are using for traveling.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxfirefly View Post
    Can use for most of the filter, but it is may has some problem when using Circular Polarising filter.

    To learn more, see
    http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/gf-04.html
    http://digital-photography-school.co...rizing-filters
    Thanks a lot for the links, Learn a lot from there.

  18. #18

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    The two lens solution gives you greater reach and a cheaper price. The one lens solution gives you convenience.

    If you do not mind swapping lenses then the 2 lens combo works and prices great.

    Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Better IQ and cheaper at the cost of convenience. If switching lenses is a major inconvenience, then you have eliminated a big advantage of DSLRs. I don't like superzooms and would never recommend one, and most would recommend that you get the 18-55 + 55-250 anyway.
    Hi everyone, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!
    Hmm, usually, is it need more then 10 min to change a lens?
    Again, I never handle any DSLR...

    But I surely understand for certain scene even late by a second we will lose the perfect timing...

  19. #19
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by dev2k8 View Post
    In fact one site even advised that the default sharpness setting on the 450D be increased for better effect. No offence meant for 450D users.
    None taken... just curious...

  20. #20
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Hi everyone, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!
    Hmm, usually, is it need more then 10 min to change a lens?
    Again, I never handle any DSLR...
    Depending on the lens... normally it take less than 30 secs to change a lens. But depending on your location, you may not have the "space" to change your lens...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •