Thread: Newbie here - Please help on autofocusing

Default Newbie here - Please help on autofocusing

Hi,

I just got a new Nikon D60 and been trying it out on all kinds of subjects. Yesterday I wandered around Chinatown and snapped a few including this one which, obviously, is way-off in terms in focusing. Shall I use manual focus in this situation? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Newbie here - Please help on autofocusing

I am also a newbie but I think you should do focusing, concentrating on a subject and letting the background be out of focus..that would be more appealing and have a better picture composition. I think right now the picture is having too many elements for the viewer to engage in. just my 2cents.

You are likely to be shooting in large aperture to get more light out of the scene and thus have a thin DOF.

As such, you have to be very careful as to where you are trying to focus. You can use AF, but with single focal points and aim carefully first before shooting. Else you can practise with MF slowly and wait till you get the green dot to confirm accuracy.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

you can try to focus-lock by doing a half-press on your shutter button on the bottom portion before focusing upwards.