Thread: Which compact camera is better for travel photography?

Default Which compact camera is better for travel photography?

Hello,im wondering which camera is best for travel photography(g10 or lx3 or others?).i also want to ask what aspect of a camera should i consider if i wan to buy a compact camera for travel photography.Can anyone please help me solve this problem?Thanks very much.

Default Re: Which compact camera is better for travel photography?

Quote Originally Posted by foolfighter8 View Post
    Hello,im wondering which camera is best for travel photography(g10 or lx3 or others?).i also want to ask what aspect of a camera should i consider if i wan to buy a compact camera for travel photography.Can anyone please help me solve this problem?Thanks very much.
    Since you've already shortlisted these two which are both great cameras in their own ways, go for whichever suits your photography style.

Browse through previous travel photos that you've taken, were they mainly landscapes/scenery shots? If so the lx3 with the wide 24mm end will be good, coupled with f2.0 we are looking at potentially less blurry shots in lower light conditions. Otherwise if you take less landscapes and find yourself using more zoom often to get closer to your subjects, g10 would be good.

depends where you want to go but i recommend waterproof ones/
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

head to head comparison between g10 & lx3

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

I recommend the TZ15..... Btw TZ stand for Travel Zoom......

do we need a superzoom camera for travel photography?

depends on what you shoot, travel and landscapes need not only be confined to wide-angles..

but wide angle is quite important for travel photography,am i right?Is that the main aspect of choosing a travel camera?

but wide angle is quite important for travel photography,am i right?Is that the main aspect of choosing a travel camera?
    The TZ15 have a zoom range of 28~280mm.... most likely it would be suitable for your travel needs....

i would prefer lx3, lazy to zoom nowadays even on my fz5.
    going telezoom on my fx5, if light conditions are poor and without a tripod, hit ratio really go downwards.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 25th January 2009 at 04:19 AM.

all compacts are roughly equivalent in terms of performance when it comes to the same price bracket.

for g10 versus lx3, performance is the same, the difference lies with:

-OUTLOOK
    -HANDLING
    -FOCAL LENGTH RANGE
    -SIZE

for that price bracket you seem to be looking at, you might want to consider LONG-ZOOM PROSUMERS as well. the lens performance and sharpness will probably not be on par with the compacts with more limited range, but you will get the added benefit of greater flexbility. travel is one genre where all focal lengths can be useful.

If its landscapes you're gonna shoot mostly then the LX3's 24mm wide angle coverage is second to none. The Canon's widest is only at 28mm but it has a 5x optical zoom compared to the Panasonic's rather paltry 2.5x optical zoom. Granted, the LX3's f/2.0-2.8 lens is a solid performer in low-lighting conditions. Overall image sharpness, the LX3 inches ahead of the Canon. But if its versatility and better ergonomics you're looking for, the G10 is your best bet.

how bout lx2 instead of lx3?coz lx2 is alot cheaper than lx3 for now.

LX3's a great leap forward in the LX series, you'll lose the fast f/2.0 lens, 24mm wide-angle (LX2 is 28mm), better ISO performance, same angle of view for all 3 formats (LX2 crops from its 16:9 sensor), HD movie capability and hotshoe mount, just to name a few..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    LX3's a great leap forward in the LX series, you'll lose the fast f/2.0 lens, 24mm wide-angle (LX2 is 28mm), better ISO performance, same angle of view for all 3 formats (LX2 crops from its 16:9 sensor), HD movie capability and hotshoe mount, just to name a few..
    That why the LX3 make a stir when it first launch......

WOW,that make lx3 sound very intresting.Then how bout g10?Is it a great leap for g series?

WOW,that make lx3 sound very intresting.Then how bout g10?Is it a great leap for g series?
    Personally, I think LX3 is a great leap from LX2... but G10 is just a small increment from G9....

this make LX3 sound very intresting.but the lens range is really limiting.we cant do much using this lens,rite?

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Personally, I think LX3 is a great leap from LX2... but G10 is just a small increment from G9....

this make LX3 sound very intresting.but the lens range is really limiting.we cant do much using this lens,rite?
    It's a PnS camera designed for low-light... everything else is secondary to it... To increase the "lens range" you can use the EZ function... in the expense of lower resolution.