Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Bought one... but since it is dark, will my shutter speed auto compensate for it?

    Also, what is the typical way to dial in the setting?

    Any good sites?

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Another link here

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Thanks guys.... what is a good brand? B+W? or Nikon? Hoya?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    Thanks guys.... what is a good brand? B+W? or Nikon? Hoya?
    All your questions have been answered here several times already. Please try a search.
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    Thanks guys.... what is a good brand? B+W? or Nikon? Hoya?
    Good is what fulfills your requirements. Have you defined this? Whether you want to pay the respective price is a different question. You can have a look at the price list for filters here in the forum.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    I am curious too... what separate the quality of the CPL? I understand that Hoya lens are manufactured by Tokina... are they same lens with different branding?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Searched the web but have not found a CPL comparison....

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    Searched the web but have not found a CPL comparison....
    here you go.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,667

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    I always recommend Nikon polarisers simply because they are much more efficiently as far as light loss is concerned. With Hoyas and the likes, I typically loose around 1.5 to 2 stops. With Nikons, its only around 1/3 to 1/2 a stop.

  11. #11
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    Bought one... but since it is dark, will my shutter speed auto compensate for it?

    Also, what is the typical way to dial in the setting?

    Any good sites?
    Some camera manufacturers (and pros) have suggested using center weighted or spot metering on your camera. My CPLs work fine with matrix metering. I tend to use Aperature Priority mode and leave the shutter speed to auto compensate. Works fine for all my photos so far.

    You can always try directing your questions by email to the following filters retailer at :-

    http://www.2filter.com/

    This is a specialised camera filters shop and have a good reputation in the States.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  12. #12
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    Thanks guys.... what is a good brand? B+W? or Nikon? Hoya?
    Here's a concise summary of each :-

    B+W MRC -> The "rolls royce" of filters. MRC coating is easy to clean as compared with Hoya.

    Hoya -> High quality cheaper alternative to B+W. However, some users complain that smudges are difficult to clean.

    Nikon -> Slim CP II filters are highly recommended especially in order to prevent vignetting on wide-angled lenses. Very high quality too.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  13. #13
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Curious.. with the F stop advantages of a Nikon CPL filter, is it more expensive than those of B+W MRC & Hoya?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,002

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    as far as i know hoya filters are inexpensive.. and the b+w and the nikon ones can easily cost 3 time or so more..

  15. #15
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Curious.. with the F stop advantages of a Nikon CPL filter, is it more expensive than those of B+W MRC & Hoya?
    Filter Price List

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    Here's a concise summary of each :-

    B+W MRC -> The "rolls royce" of filters. MRC coating is easy to clean as compared with Hoya.

    Hoya -> High quality cheaper alternative to B+W. However, some users complain that smudges are difficult to clean.

    Nikon -> Slim CP II filters are highly recommended especially in order to prevent vignetting on wide-angled lenses. Very high quality too.
    I bought the "rolls royce" and took some shot with some sky. Didn't show bluish at all. Effect way below expectations but sky was cloudy. Will try again.

    QUESTION:

    Do I have to keep switching filters? Meaning CPL only for shots with sky or water. Then, if I shoot portraits, people, flowers, etc... I need to change back to my UV filter?

    It's quite troublesome. Had this problem at Sentosa flower event. Not all pics had sky or water and I kept thinking if I should remove the filter.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    I bought the "rolls royce" and took some shot with some sky. Didn't show bluish at all. Effect way below expectations but sky was cloudy. Will try again.
    Aim 90 deg from the sun for best effect. On a sunny, cloudless day.


    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    Do I have to keep switching filters? Meaning CPL only for shots with sky or water. Then, if I shoot portraits, people, flowers, etc... I need to change back to my UV filter?

    It's quite troublesome. Had this problem at Sentosa flower event. Not all pics had sky or water and I kept thinking if I should remove the filter.
    Nobody said taking good photographs was easy. When you're feeling lazy, use a compact camera instead. I know I do.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

  18. #18
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    I bought the "rolls royce" and took some shot with some sky. Didn't show bluish at all. Effect way below expectations but sky was cloudy. Will try again.
    Read more: http://www.great-landscape-photograp...ng-filter.html
    If there is no blue sky then no filter will 'generate' it for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    Do I have to keep switching filters? Meaning CPL only for shots with sky or water. Then, if I shoot portraits, people, flowers, etc... I need to change back to my UV filter?
    It's quite troublesome. Had this problem at Sentosa flower event. Not all pics had sky or water and I kept thinking if I should remove the filter.
    First you could dump your UV filters, quite useless (imho). Your camera doesn't need any UV protection (lenses filter already, the sensor has a filter, too) and for protection a lens hood serves better. If you insist on UV for your peace of mind then you need to change. Otherwise (meaning you stack CPL on top of UV) you might get vignetting (dark corners in the picture).
    First: get clear about what you want to shoot. No point jumping between beach and flowers and screwing filters on and off. Stick to one object / scenery. Secondly: filters have a purpose and effect. If you intend to use this effect then put on the filter, if not then just don't do. Filters are an optional element for certain conditions, they are not compulsory in general.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Thanks for the link, I saw it before my post but the Nikon's CPL filter is not included in the list and the last update is 2 years ago...

  20. #20
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Circular Polarizer... How to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Thanks for the link, I saw it before my post but the Nikon's CPL filter is not included in the list and the last update is 2 years ago...
    Scroll down, in the Nikon posting there's a 77mm CPL II (IIRC, that's the slim version). The prices are still somewhat valid. Compare with the MO threads and you'll see that 77mm B+W still goes for about SGD 110. Check here. (MO saves the few bucks that go for shop rental and aircon.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •