Thread: New help on raw format.

Smile New help on raw format.

Hi all,

I am Jerron Lok.I have just started photography.Recently, i am involved in a simple project.I will need to take a landscape of a building and the picture will need to be able to blow to a A2 size.

So person give me advice, they said " Take the shot of the building in Raw file and edit it."I have tried some shots with Raw. But the quality is about the same(without editing).

Does any shops do raw printing?

Can some seniors give me some useful advice?

Thank you for your attention.If you have sometime please help me

Thanks,
    Jerron Lok

Default Re: New help on raw format.

Photoshops normally only handle JPG - so you need to do a conversion. Only professional stores can also handle TIFF/16 bit for prints (e.g. RGB Color in Singapore can do large size prints - I've done big pictures about 60x90 cm; and one panorama which is about 3 meter long and 1 m high).

What you need to do: Is upsample in Photoshop - to get to a reasonable resolution for your print. Or shoot from the beginning with a good camera that can do > 20 Megapixel (D3Xs, 1dsMk3, 5dMk2). Then you are very fine for A2 size prints.

Remember RAW doesn't increase the resolution - it just gives you more latitude when retouching (white balance, blown out recovery, etc.)

What camera do you shoot with?
    Last edited by btrenkel; 23rd January 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by btrenkel View Post
    Photoshops normally only handle JPG - so you need to do a conversion. Only professional stores can also handle TIFF/16 bit for prints (e.g. RGB Color in Singapore can do large size prints - I've done big pictures about 60x90 cm; and one panorama which is about 3 meter long and 1 m high).

What you need to do: Is upsample in Photoshop - to get to a reasonable resolution for your print. Or shoot from the beginning with a good camera that can do > 20 Megapixel (D3Xs, 1dsMk3, 5dMk2). Then you are very fine for A2 size prints.

Remember RAW doesn't increase the resolution - it just gives you more latitude when retouching (white balance, blown out recovery, etc.)

The Sony A900 works well for large prints too. Significantly cheaper than a D3Xs or 1dsMk3.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by btrenkel View Post

Currently, I am having a Canon 30D.

Thank you for your response

Quote Originally Posted by ron1992 View Post
    Currently, I am having a Canon 30D.

Thank you for your response
    You might want to rent a 1DsMkIII body for your project then.
    Alpha