Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Pioneer DVD that supports JPEG View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    237

    Default Pioneer DVD that supports JPEG View

    Pretty interesting. The DVD model is 366, cost $219.

    I did a check at the website and it says it reads fuji or kodak photoCD.
    Are there any consumer software that allows that??? or we have to go to authorized fuji or kodak photo shop to burn our photoCD?

  2. #2

    Default

    The Philips 625K also reads native JPG files. But its a bit slow on loading the image.

  3. #3

    Default

    I have the Pioneer DVD Player Model DV-400-S which has PhotoViewer that can view JEPG file directly. I have tried to play some of my 2.6 megapixel original shots and it appears on the TV slowly (abt 5 sec to load the full shot).

    The best quality with fast loading is 1024 x 768 save in compression level 10.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Hey pit & megaweb,
    Thanks for the feedback.

    but what's the loading speed at 1024x768?
    do u need specalized software or any CDR burner will do the job nicely?

    thanks!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zOOm
    Hey pit & megaweb,
    Thanks for the feedback.

    but what's the loading speed at 1024x768?
    do u need specalized software or any CDR burner will do the job nicely?

    thanks!
    1024 x 768 saved in compression level 10 is like instant .. no delay

    no need special software . just burn the images into the CD and the DVD player will auto run PhotoViewer and open the image
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    63

    Default

    do you find that when you view the photos on TV, it loses a little of its sharpness? I noticed this while trying to render photos in imovie and most of the shots seems to lose their harpness in order to compensate for TV which has a lower resolution than monitors.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    730

    Default

    Firstly its because of the fear of loss of resolution that led me to create my photos as slideshows on DVD. If you have made them into VCD, the loss is obvious as VCD has less resolution except for SVCD. However it also depend on the software used for creating the VCD..FlipAlbum is simply yacky!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fernvale Road, Sengkang
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zOOm
    Pretty interesting. The DVD model is 366, cost $219.

    I did a check at the website and it says it reads fuji or kodak photoCD.
    Are there any consumer software that allows that??? or we have to go to authorized fuji or kodak photo shop to burn our photoCD?
    Hi zOOm,

    I have an identical model (266) which is the same except for one function - the FL Dimmer. This function sets the intensity of the brightness for the LCD Display and that is about the only difference I could make of the two models, other than the SGD20 difference in price.

    As for the Photoviewer software, it took my CDR/CDRWs which I used to backup my digital shots with no problem. I have my pictures in folders (e.g. 2003_0101, my birthday, zoo20030102, etc.) and the files are randomly named (e.g. dscf2010.jpg, FFAA20334.jpg, etc.). No special structure to store the JPEGs in on the CDR/CDRWs...AFAIK

    For full rez pictures, they took longer to load... about more than 7 secs. For the resized or lower resolution ones, FAST. The slideshow mode is useful as well...

    Oh... and do give the ZOOM (no punt intended!) function a try! It gives you up to 4x magnification on-screen!
    Olympus E-3 / E-500 / XA | Vivitar UWS
    Blog & Photos

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    63

    Default

    The LCD dimmerused to be found in high end CD players and amplifiers. The frequency and intensity of the LCD quartz apparently interferes with the frequency of the laser (and something else) in the equipment and thus dimmers are used to lower the cross frequency (all these I learnt from what hi-fi! many moons ago...). I don't know what it does to DVD players but I think it might serve the same function...

    2 cents worth


    Quote Originally Posted by petaflopz
    Hi zOOm,

    I have an identical model (266) which is the same except for one function - the FL Dimmer. This function sets the intensity of the brightness for the LCD Display and that is about the only difference I could make of the two models, other than the SGD20 difference in price.

    As for the Photoviewer software, it took my CDR/CDRWs which I used to backup my digital shots with no problem. I have my pictures in folders (e.g. 2003_0101, my birthday, zoo20030102, etc.) and the files are randomly named (e.g. dscf2010.jpg, FFAA20334.jpg, etc.). No special structure to store the JPEGs in on the CDR/CDRWs...AFAIK

    For full rez pictures, they took longer to load... about more than 7 secs. For the resized or lower resolution ones, FAST. The slideshow mode is useful as well...

    Oh... and do give the ZOOM (no punt intended!) function a try! It gives you up to 4x magnification on-screen!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fernvale Road, Sengkang
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe vienna
    The LCD dimmerused to be found in high end CD players and amplifiers. The frequency and intensity of the LCD quartz apparently interferes with the frequency of the laser (and something else) in the equipment and thus dimmers are used to lower the cross frequency (all these I learnt from what hi-fi! many moons ago...). I don't know what it does to DVD players but I think it might serve the same function...

    2 cents worth
    point noted, I take your 2 cents then!!

    but then again, to a 'ngeow' person like me, the relative returns for the SGD20 investment just doesn't add up right...
    Olympus E-3 / E-500 / XA | Vivitar UWS
    Blog & Photos

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    63

    Default

    well, depends lah... if you have a fantastic sound setup then maybe you can tell the difference... let me know too ok

    SGD20 more is like getting the "upgrade" for free. Think of it as 2 times to the cinemas with transport cost

    Quote Originally Posted by petaflopz
    point noted, I take your 2 cents then!!

    but then again, to a 'ngeow' person like me, the relative returns for the SGD20 investment just doesn't add up right...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fernvale Road, Sengkang
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe vienna
    well, depends lah... if you have a fantastic sound setup then maybe you can tell the difference... let me know too ok

    SGD20 more is like getting the "upgrade" for free. Think of it as 2 times to the cinemas with transport cost
    SGD20 is more like hell if shopping with the missus...if you know what I mean...
    Olympus E-3 / E-500 / XA | Vivitar UWS
    Blog & Photos

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    63

    Default

    YES! I know exactly what you mean


    Quote Originally Posted by petaflopz
    SGD20 is more like hell if shopping with the missus...if you know what I mean...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Thanks folks for all the response.
    I think I gonna buy one for my parents so that I can share our photographs with them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •