Thread: writing up of contract

Smile writing up of contract

Hello ladies and gentleman.I would like to find out how and where do i go about writing up a contract saying all pictures which i've taken belong to me and i have full rights to use it in my portfolio.Can this contract apply to all events or only specific ones.Lets say for weddings and i wish to use a couples pictures in my portfolio as compared to a general sports event coverage.

Do i need to look up a lawyer to draw up such a contract so that it'll hold up in court?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: writing up of contract

Getting a lawyer would be best

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Getting a lawyer would be best
    Expensive...

vince123123
    Guests

Depends on what type of contract and what you need covered.

And well, either you take the risk, or pay the money. Everything's expensive.

You can also choose to forgo going to the doctor and take risks on your health. Same thing lor hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Expensive...

A contract is an agreement about services and terms & conditions. Basically you can use this contract and the idea that you hold the copyright for all pictures for all occasions. Whether the other party will accept this is a different question. AFAIK, hired photographers cannot claim copyright because they are paid to do the job for somebody else.
    In general, a contract must contain the clear description of the service to be rendered, inclusions and exclusions. Terms and conditions must cover the normal cases (usage of pictures, credits, payments and deposits, notifications etc.) and the exceptions: what if one party doesn't stick to the contract (late cancellation, late payments, late delivery etc). Be well prepared and you can strike a balance between risk and costs for lawyer
    There are templates and examples in the web but I agree with Vince that a lawyer would be best to double-check.

i didn't get much help by asking here (i never seem to for some reason..must be me).. you can draft your own contracts..which is what i did after much searching around, it's still legal from what i know.. you might want to have a look at these sites for references

http://www.digitalphot.net/samplecontract.pdf
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/we.../contract.html

if you have a friend or relative in the legal department and on close terms with them, you could just run it through them once you've drafted it to see if you might have missed out something

you could do a generic contract and change it depending on the agreement you have with your client?

thank you all for the input