Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Falling....

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Falling....

    Hello bros,

    i would like comments/feedback from our bros here at clubsnap.com



    First of all, i took this picture is only for one purpose.. I want to show how fast it can actually travel.. Sorry i can't really remember the name of the structure lah.. So i'm clueless what the structure is called... so apologies on that.

    I feel that the angle and also feel that i could zoom in more to show the real impact.. Do you guys think so too?

    Secondly, i apologies if the title is not appropriate at all.. No luck in finding a good title for it...

    And lastly, i want our bros to comment on the colour, the tone of the picture... This is what you snap what you get kind of picture.. Meaning that, there's no manipulations except cropping and resizing.. The other reason of me asking your comments on the colour and the tone, etc is because, i want to know whether i should recalibrate my laptop screen..

    Many thanks and have a good night.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Falling....

    Quote Originally Posted by rocfreaks View Post
    First of all, i took this picture is only for one purpose.. I want to show how fast it can actually travel..
    Show how fast it can travel? Eh... can't see what's traveling in your pic? Can't see the cart carrying the people. Try it again when there's still some light. The cart will be traveling fast and so you'll need a fast shutter. Shooting this at night won't capture anything but those towers unless you use flash and you're near enough to light the thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocfreaks View Post
    Sorry i can't really remember the name of the structure lah.. So i'm clueless what the structure is called... so apologies on that.
    They call it the G-MAX Reverse Bungy, see www.gmax.com.sg

    Quote Originally Posted by rocfreaks View Post
    I feel that the angle and also feel that i could zoom in more to show the real impact.. Do you guys think so too?
    Exactly! Get nearer to the thing and shoot 'em people while they're taking off or landing towards the ground.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocfreaks View Post
    Secondly, i apologies if the title is not appropriate at all.. No luck in finding a good title for it...
    No apologies needed. Come on... you can be more creative than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocfreaks View Post
    i want to know whether i should recalibrate my laptop screen..
    Nah! Your monitor's fine unless it's really crap. Get your picture taking skills better then talk about color management afterwards, in which time you'll be getting a "real" monitor.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocfreaks View Post
    Many thanks and have a good night.
    You're welcome.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Falling....

    You should post your settings of how you took the pic.

    The pic is a bit blurred, try sharpening the image after you resize, it works wonders
    ex-Nikon owner - now only iPhone :/

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Falling....

    I have a question: why is the title "falling" if the capsule is travelling *upwards*?

  5. #5
    Member tortise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    771

    Default Re: Falling....

    Actually when i first saw the title and picture, i thought it was quite apt as a creative alternative way to interprete something we are familiar with.

    the towers of the reverse bungee look to me like (bowling) pins that are about to topple...

    i appreciate how the picture made me zoom out of my usual perspective, ignore the carriages, crowd, screaming, music etc that so commonly comes to mind when we think about the reverse bungee at Clarke Quay.
    Last edited by tortise; 23rd January 2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Slow...yeah, steady... not really
    My Flickr | APAD2010

  6. #6

    Default Re: Falling....

    Calebk makes a valid point.
    Also even if it's not moving very fast, all we have to do is to allow a slower shutter speed for the trails. Of course, we know that it is high-speed.
    The flares didn't help in this image, the lights and reflections were all blown, and the sky, was it really reddish that night?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Falling....



    I hope you dont mind me posting my version; [and I hope the mods dont mind too for comparison sake] I shot this too sometime back.
    You could have got something like mine in fluorescent colors, not reddish / orange / incandescant. Ive waited for the cage to be thrown up, and by usig slower shutter speed, I managed to get a faint line of light of the cage too as it went up and down. Perhaps you could consider taking from the opposite riverbank, on the steps.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Falling....

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I have a question: why is the title "falling" if the capsule is travelling *upwards*?
    Hi bro, erhm... what goes up must fall down?

    i'm thinking somewhere along those lines

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Falling....

    Quote Originally Posted by PyeeL View Post
    Calebk makes a valid point.
    Also even if it's not moving very fast, all we have to do is to allow a slower shutter speed for the trails. Of course, we know that it is high-speed.
    The flares didn't help in this image, the lights and reflections were all blown, and the sky, was it really reddish that night?
    yes, at that point of time, it was raining soon after that.. if i remembered properly...

    u're right actually.. i feel that the big flare, the one in the middle, is distracting...

    oh well.. must retake the picture again. Thanks for the comments

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Falling....

    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Actually when i first saw the title and picture, i thought it was quite apt as a creative alternative way to interprete something we are familiar with.

    the towers of the reverse bungee look to me like (bowling) pins that are about to topple...

    i appreciate how the picture made me zoom out of my usual perspective, ignore the carriages, crowd, screaming, music etc that so commonly comes to mind when we think about the reverse bungee at Clarke Quay.
    Thanks bro...

    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post


    I hope you dont mind me posting my version; [and I hope the mods dont mind too for comparison sake] I shot this too sometime back.
    You could have got something like mine in fluorescent colors, not reddish / orange / incandescant. Ive waited for the cage to be thrown up, and by usig slower shutter speed, I managed to get a faint line of light of the cage too as it went up and down. Perhaps you could consider taking from the opposite riverbank, on the steps.

    somehow i like your version actually. the colours are much cooler...

    btw, dont mind me asking, what did u used for the white balance for that picture bro?

    3000k? is it less than 6000k? thanks so much bro

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Falling....

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyP View Post
    You should post your settings of how you took the pic.

    The pic is a bit blurred, try sharpening the image after you resize, it works wonders
    sorry sorry..

    its in my other computer, i will dig for the settings in the morning..

    thanks for your comment

  12. #12

    Default Re: Falling....

    composition wise - much too tight. there is no breathing space.

    exposure is hard, your timing makes it such that the contrast (between brightest and darkest point) will render a tricky exposure beyond the dynamic range of the camera, from what i see.

    i would prefer a cooler white balance.

    in any case, personally i would not shoot this scene from where you were, it is hard to isolate effectively, and therefore no matter how it is shot, whether it is your shot or chegu's, the scene is effectively cluttered.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Falling....

    Quote Originally Posted by rocfreaks View Post
    ...
    somehow i like your version actually. the colours are much cooler...

    btw, dont mind me asking, what did u used for the white balance for that picture bro?

    3000k? is it less than 6000k? thanks so much bro
    Colour temperature is a confusing topic to grasp. Lower colour temperatures are actually more yellow-ish, and higher colour temperatures are actually more blue-ish, but in order not to confuse yourself, you have to look at it as a value, not a colour.

    Here are some colour temperatures that are standard across the lighting industry:

    Match flame: 1700K
    Candlelight: 1850K
    Tungsten: 3200K
    Moonlight: 4100K
    Horizon daylight: 5000K (value changes a lot depending on atmospheric conditions and cloud cover)
    Daylight (HMI/fresnel light): 5600K
    Electronic flash: 6000K or thereabouts
    Overcast daylight: 6500K

    In real life, though, daylight colour temperature can vary a lot, depending on your position on the globe, cloud cover, etc.

    Now comes the application: if you set your camera's Kelvin white balance to a certain value, for instance, 3200K, any lights of colour temperature below 3200K will look yellow-ish in frame, and any lights of colour temperature above 3200K will look blue-ish. That is why when you accidentally set your WB to Tungsten and you go outdoors to shoot, you get a blue colour cast.

    So now you roughly know how to work around your colour balance. If you see that your primary light source gives a colour cast, you'll know which way to work your kelvin colour temperature towards.

    Notice I did not discuss fluorescent lights? This is because there are just too many fluorescents in the market, with varying colour temperature. It's also because fluorescents, in addition to colour temperature as a colour reference, also have another unit to judge its "whiteness": Colour Rendering Index (CRI) See here for more details on fluorescents: http://www.edbergphoto.com/pages/Tip-fluorescents.html

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Falling....

    hi bro calebk,

    thanks for the tips and info... didn't really know about it..

    totally appreciate it!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Falling....

    I have an issue with the title though. How does it link?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Falling....

    If i didn't know what the structure was in the first place, I would think that the title is apt.

    Why? Falling structures...like bowling pin toppling over. But TS explanation of what goes up must "fall" down just doesn't quite fit in IMHO.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •