Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microsoft Announces End of Sales for Windows XP

Default Re: Microsoft Announces End of Sales for Windows XP

Corporates are certainly not wimps. They have dozens of special programs and in house developed applications which their business depends on and an incompatibility issue could cost $$$. Vista was developed with security on the top of the priority list as XP was weak in this area. However, it became very cumbersome and resource hungry and the security features introduce incompatibility issues.

MS hopes that Windows 7 will be better. I hope so too. From a home user point of view, I think that MS should revamp the code to make it lighter and more secure and then introduce low cost or zero cost alternatives to the office suite - which may need to be replaced. If they do this, I will move back from Mac OSX. However I think this is a dream because the real money is in the corporate users and they will require (demand?) that the OS be backwark compatible to XP, W2K etc. There lies the dilemma of Microsoft. Good luck all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kermitfm View Post
    Corporates are certainly not wimps. They have dozens of special programs and in house developed applications which their business depends on and an incompatibility issue could cost $$$. Vista was developed with security on the top of the priority list as XP was weak in this area. However, it became very cumbersome and resource hungry and the security features introduce incompatibility issues.

MS hopes that Windows 7 will be better. I hope so too. From a home user point of view, I think that MS should revamp the code to make it lighter and more secure and then introduce low cost or zero cost alternatives to the office suite - which may need to be replaced. If they do this, I will move back from Mac OSX. However I think this is a dream because the real money is in the corporate users and they will require (demand?) that the OS be backwark compatible to XP, W2K etc. There lies the dilemma of Microsoft. Good luck all.....
    It is expensive for corporates to upgrade (total ownership cost is very much higher).

I have purchased a PCs with vista install late last year, regret on it. Loading is slow and lots of applications does not run well / encounter several BSOD. I will insist No Vista (for now) and at most a WinXP.

For my home , i give up on gaming , move to mac and linux. And get more work done rather than deal with regular Vista BSOD
    Last edited by kitkat; 23rd January 2009 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Hazmee,

I do not even have to think of upgrading to Windows 7 when Vista Ultimate don't even work with some of my software. I will stay with XP in the meantime until they develop a service pack to address the software incompatibility issues.

If you really want to know which software I use which do not work on Vista, here is the list:

• Steinberg Cubase SX3
    • Autodesk Inventor Professional 11
    • Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 (I have to use this software for conferences)
    • Adobe Premiere 7.

For your information, my computer running on Vista Ultimate is less than a year old, and it is not a wimp. It has a Core 2 Extreme processor, 4 GB 1000MHz DDR2 RAM, 2 WD Raptor 150GB SATA harddisks and powered by a 850W Antec PSU. Despite all these configuration, Vista Ultimate still take more than 30 seconds to startup. Sad to say this but even my 2.5 years old Quad Core, 4 GB RAM setup boots faster.
    All your problems aren't entirely MS fault btw. They are the software developers fault for their resistance to make things compatible/optimised for Vista. Vista addresses some of the memory issues on running multiple programs that plagued XP for a long time. Yes Vista hogs on memory but my programs runs much faster. Seriously! I used to think Vista was crap after reading a lot of blogs but I decided to install it on my system and damn I was impressed with it. Its very stable for the kind of work that I do (publishing, illustration and photo editing). No more random program error like on my XP when running multiple apps. I don't do video or sound editing and even if I did, I would have used a Mac Pro instead.

I remembered the first time XP was launched, all the Windows 2000 users were hesitant to upgrade. Its the same story all over again.

So why Vista? For brand new systems, 64bit is the way to go and currently Vista 64 is your best bet. I am running an E8400/8GB RAM/4TB HDDs and Vista handles it coolly. All the glass aero interface is easy on my eyes and I like it. Plus the aero effects don't take much of your resources la. Its all BS to me. Even if you turn it off, how much resources do you gain? Very little. There are other wealth of improvements on Vista; security, indexing, media centre, disk optimising, readyboost, back up etc...; that made me stick with it.

Vista caters for many different type of individuals/corporate businesses/industries. You just have to choose which works for you. If neither of them works, you can either stick with your current system or go buy a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    It can't run my Counter-Strike: Source!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Half the time I run Rise Of Nations (developed by Microsoft!!) it hangs!!

Quote Originally Posted by AMediaLuz View Post
    Half the time I run Rise Of Nations (developed by Microsoft!!) it hangs!!
    Hah! Go screw Microsoft!

In fact they've a very good business model. Just that for us as a consumer we're on the losing side. For each upgrade the OS is not as stable as a Mac/Unix counterpart and the patch/updated just doesn't really solve the root of the problem.

By the time the problem is unbearable, they'll introduce an new OS, just to sooth the customer. With majority running on windows, we don't have much choice and can't fight much ( unless you dont play game or use any commercial software).

Quote Originally Posted by hokkaido88 View Post
    In fact they've a very good business model. Just that for us as a consumer we're on the losing side. For each upgrade the OS is not as stable as a Mac/Unix counterpart and the patch/updated just doesn't really solve the root of the problem.

By the time the problem is unbearable, they'll introduce an new OS, just to sooth the customer. With majority running on windows, we don't have much choice and can't fight much ( unless you dont play game or use any commercial software).
    I upgrade from Tiger to Leopard. Smooth.

For Windows, I never dare to upgrade OS. I always have to format and do a fresh install.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    how about...

Win 7 = XP - Vista

How can that be ???

Win 7 = Vista - (things people complains about, restrictions, not happy about Vista)

I haven't try beta Win 7 yet. My understanding is that it's interface is going to be similar to Vista. But it will be like an improved version of Vista in term of speed, compatible, resource usage, etc . . . . . Only those who have "played" around with beta Win 7 will know .

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    I upgrade from Tiger to Leopard. Smooth.

For Windows, I never dare to upgrade OS. I always have to format and do a fresh install.
    Whoever does an upgrade in Windows OS must be out of their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    All your problems aren't entirely MS fault btw. They are the software developers fault for their resistance to make things compatible/optimised for Vista. Vista addresses some of the memory issues on running multiple programs that plagued XP for a long time. Yes Vista hogs on memory but my programs runs much faster. Seriously! I used to think Vista was crap after reading a lot of blogs but I decided to install it on my system and damn I was impressed with it. Its very stable for the kind of work that I do (publishing, illustration and photo editing). No more random program error like on my XP when running multiple apps. I don't do video or sound editing and even if I did, I would have used a Mac Pro instead.

I remembered the first time XP was launched, all the Windows 2000 users were hesitant to upgrade. Its the same story all over again.

So why Vista? For brand new systems, 64bit is the way to go and currently Vista 64 is your best bet. I am running an E8400/8GB RAM/4TB HDDs and Vista handles it coolly. All the glass aero interface is easy on my eyes and I like it. Plus the aero effects don't take much of your resources la. Its all BS to me. Even if you turn it off, how much resources do you gain? Very little. There are other wealth of improvements on Vista; security, indexing, media centre, disk optimising, readyboost, back up etc...; that made me stick with it.

Vista caters for many different type of individuals/corporate businesses/industries. You just have to choose which works for you. If neither of them works, you can either stick with your current system or go buy a Mac.
    To me, it doesn't matter whose fault it is. As a consumer, I dun need to know. I just need it to work easily and smoothly which Windows can't fulfill for me. Maybe I am dumb.

Whoever does an upgrade in Windows OS must be out of their minds.
    That's why I have stopped using Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by quanyew View Post
    How can that be ???

Win 7 = Vista - (things people complains about, restrictions, not happy about Vista)

I haven't try beta Win 7 yet. My understanding is that it's interface is going to be similar to Vista. But it will be like an improved version of Vista in term of speed, compatible, resource usage, etc . . . . . Only those who have "played" around with beta Win 7 will know .
    I guess many unsatisfied Vista users are dying to upgrade to Win7. $$$$ pouring in!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    To me, it doesn't matter whose fault it is. As a consumer, I dun need to know. I just need it to work easily and smoothly which Windows can't fulfill for me. Maybe I am dumb.
    Maybe you need to go get a Mac instead. Windows isn't for the weak.

Its very stable for the kind of work that I do (publishing, illustration and photo editing). No more random program error like on my XP when running multiple apps. I don't do video or sound editing and even if I did, I would have used a Mac Pro instead
    We are working in the same industry. Video and sound editing are just hobbies of mine.

By the way, at first I thought you were working for Microsoft.

go buy a Mac.
    Well, I am using Mac Pro at work. Don't need to buy any.
    Last edited by photobum; 23rd January 2009 at 06:13 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123