Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Announces End of Sales for Windows XP

Default Re: Microsoft Announces End of Sales for Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    My comp has only 1GB of RAM.
    You my friend, need to visit Sim Lim Square and get yourself a 2GB RAM for just S$33...

I think most people would rather have a faster and stabler computer than be forced to upgrade to get transparent windows. You should try running audio/graphics/network intensive programs for the true vista experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Have you tried Vista before? I see a lot of people try to install Vista on 3 year old machines and expect it to run at lightning speed then complain when things don't work for them.
    YEs I have vista running on core 2 machine

How often do you upgrade anyway? I am still using my 3 year old machine running XP just fine. 3 years in computing terms is a looooooong time. Its only recently I started using Vista 64bit on my new hardware which total less than $1.1k. I bought my machine running XP for almost S$2.5K 3 years ago.

In Vista, I disabled all unnecessary services, drivers and programs and my Vista boots up in just 30 seconds. For hardcore overclockers, 30 secs is long time! I can live with it.

Since you say your 3 year old machine is running good on Xp but how does your 3 year old machine run on vista. Now a days you need to UPgrade this and upgrade that to make it at least run smoothly. Not like last time where hardware vs software, it is always in front. Now with more GUI, more widget and this and that, it become memory resource intensive and also processor intensive. So if looking back, which one is better in resource management? Xp or Vista.

How many time you upgrade? but with the advance software will that duration be shorter or longer ?

Agreed that some may have good impression with vista but if look at the how the ppl in the world respond you might think other wise. Anyway whats the point argue about this. We are just user and might be just a slave to the OS war.

Endure and hope Win 7 will be better lor ..

IMO, some simple Maths:

Win 7 = Vista - "something"

to give PC a better performance . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by quanyew View Post
    IMO, some simple Maths:

Win 7 = Vista - "something"

to give PC a better performance . . . . .
    let me guess...

Win 7 = Vista - XP

Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Win 7 = Vista - XP

Win 7 definitely not = Vista - XP

Vista isn't for the weak. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Maybe there is no problem running on standalone desktop, but we had such a big issue on my company's network server that we have to "upgrade" to XP Prof since all new comps/laptops are preinstalled with Vista........
    Maybe the laptop suppliers screw something up. LOL! My wife's laptop running Vista is working fine..

Quote Originally Posted by quanyew View Post

Win 7 definitely not = Vista - XP
    how about...

Win 7 = XP - Vista

Maybe your comp needs a hardware upgrade...

I use Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop, Acrobat... all at the same time and no BSOD.
    mins juz bot 1/2 yr back leh... pretti high end oso.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    mins juz bot 1/2 yr back leh... pretti high end oso.
    I think you damn kana sai already la...

I think you damn kana sai already la...

Maybe the laptop suppliers screw something up. LOL! My wife's laptop running Vista is working fine..
    u're an avid fans of Vista.

corporate world didn't upgrade to Vista business, but still stick to XP PRO! isn't that a clear sign to you! I've just brought a laptop, and insist on loading in a XP PRO with CD.

haha, lady don't do funny stuff to their laptop. BTW, if using a vista system for normal routine shld be fine.

Corporate world systems are such wimps. LOL!

a sensible decision. imagine upgrading another 2GB or more @ $33 for over a few thousand PC just to support vista OS. that's plain stupidity.

is it true that vista need 3 to 4 GB to perform well? memory hogging operating system!!!

I'm running the beta for Win 7. It's really quite something, a much less resource intensive system than Vista.

Again the 32 bit/ 64 bit rubbish comes into play. There's no point getting 4 GB of RAM as all 32Bit systems only can access up to 3.2GB of RAM. Likewise all X58 mobos have triple channel RAM, rather than Dual Channel.
    Nikon D700,50mm f1.8, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-300 f4-5.6

Windows 7 is definitely comparable to Window XP, in terms of speed, although it might be slightly slower, but definitely faster than Vista...

And I love the new taskbar!

i have a quad core Core 2 Extreme processor with 4GB ram and Windows XP boots within 20 secs from the time i press the button to the time everything has finish loading...

Windows Vista just isnt as snappy. sadly.

and btw, in times of economic crisis, Windows XP actually helps in saving money!

my gfx card and processor just got hotter (and hence eat more power) from those transparent eye candy on Vista...
    Last edited by Stratix; 22nd January 2009 at 11:49 PM.

I don't know why your Vista takes a long time to start up. Mine boots up in just 30 seconds. What softwares are not compatible in Vista btw? I am using the 64bit Ultimate and most, if not all my programs work. If they are not compatible in Vista, you can forget about upgrading to Windows 7.
    Hazmee,

I do not even have to think of upgrading to Windows 7 when Vista Ultimate don't even work with some of my software. I will stay with XP in the meantime until they develop a service pack to address the software incompatibility issues.

If you really want to know which software I use which do not work on Vista, here is the list:

• Steinberg Cubase SX3
    • Autodesk Inventor Professional 11
    • Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 (I have to use this software for conferences)
    • Adobe Premiere 7.

For your information, my computer running on Vista Ultimate is less than a year old, and it is not a wimp. It has a Core 2 Extreme processor, 4 GB 1000MHz DDR2 RAM, 2 WD Raptor 150GB SATA harddisks and powered by a 850W Antec PSU. Despite all these configuration, Vista Ultimate still take more than 30 seconds to startup. Sad to say this but even my 2.5 years old Quad Core, 4 GB RAM setup boots faster.
    Last edited by photobum; 23rd January 2009 at 08:10 AM.

Unless you consist our gahman wimps. Some civil service department (including Mindef) still uses Windows 2000.

And for Pete's sake, many of us here can afford Vista. There have to be reasons why we still stick to XP, XP Pro or earlier OS versions.
    Last edited by photobum; 23rd January 2009 at 08:10 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast