Thread: How to Prevent Fungi during long trip?

Default How to Prevent Fungi during long trip?

If I need to go for a 1 mths trip and moving around almost everyday. It is just no realistic to lug along my dry cabinet.

May I know if there is any precaution that I need to take to prevent fungi from growing in my lenses?

I ever read somewhere that if you use your camera system everyday, it will not have fungi grown. I really can't figure out how to qualify this statement is correct, meaning how many shots must I take to prevent the fungi or what other thing that I need to do as a preventive measures.

Default Re: How to Prevent Fungi during long trip?

Store it in a ziploc bag with some silica gel.
    Last edited by sherwoei; 21st January 2009 at 01:45 PM.

If you are using everyday, no problem lah. Dun get so worried about fungus.........

For me, I just make sure my camera dun get wet and dampee, the rest I dun care much......

If u worried so much, whats the fun of owning a DSLR. They are built to a certain extent to take some 'hardships'..... just use it and make full use of it. Why keep on 'hiding' in the dry cabinet leh?
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoei View Post
    Store it in a ziploc bag with some silica gel.
    This is really extreme. It's not made of sugar.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet100 View Post
    If I need to go for a 1 mths trip and moving around almost everyday. It is just no realistic to lug along my dry cabinet.

May I know if there is any precaution that I need to take to prevent fungi from growing in my lenses?

I ever read somewhere that if you use your camera system everyday, it will not have fungi grown. I really can't figure out how to qualify this statement is correct, meaning how many shots must I take to prevent the fungi or what other thing that I need to do as a preventive measures.
    Have you tried searching? I can tell you your question has come up at least 10 times.

But, basic rule: STOP WORRYING. Take your camera out, shoot, enjoy. The sun's UV rays do a great job of killing mold spores.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Have you tried searching? I can tell you your question has come up at least 10 times.

But, basic rule: STOP WORRYING. Take your camera out, shoot, enjoy. The sun's UV rays do a great job of killing mold spores.
    Yes, all you have to do is to expose your lenses to the Sun's rays from time to time.

Fungi thrive in dark places.

Some pros in other forums have even claimed that they never used a dry cabinet for years, the reason being that their lenses were used frequently on the field.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet100 View Post
    First question: where are you going to? Check the climate at the destination and compare with the recommendations given in the camera manual. If you go to a country of moderate climate you don't need to worry at all. Go and shoot and be happy.
    Secondly: fungus doesn't grow over night. It needs some more time in a forgotten humid corner, warm and cozy with enough organic material. Your description sounds different.
    There is no "3 snaps a day keeps the fungus away." But the truth is that fungus cannot stand sunlight / daylight. Using the camera every day also will prevent air and humidity becoming stagnant in your cam and bag and reduces the chances for fungus developing.

Blog Entries

is the humidity really high?
    if not then just using your camera daily will be ok to to keep fungus at bay

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    is the humidity really high?
    if not then just using your camera daily will be ok to to keep fungus at bay
    Going to US. Think the humidity is low compare to here.

In any case just to expand on this discussion. Do the indoor light work as effective as sun?

Meaning, if I will to shoot only indoor for a period of time, do I have to sun the lenses occasionally? Sound silly but I am really like to know if there is any effect to get keep those fungus spores at bay.

Brother,
    Humidity in US normally way lower than Singapore, unless u in the bermudas...
    If u can't find silica gel packs, use the CHEAPEST method:

Buy a small bag of BABY PAMPERS (1 pc approx 20cents) and use that to wrap your lens when not in use. These baby diapers are dessicant in nature and they absorb moisture. Another advantage is that they are thick and soft, which acts as a good lens pouch and additional protection against knocks if used with your lens bag.

lastly, they are the CHEAPEST PORTABLE DRY CABINET U can find PLUS LIGHTEST also.

Hemat hemat hemat, jimat jimat jimat, shen shen shen

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven100 View Post
    Going to US. Think the humidity is low compare to here.
    In any case just to expand on this discussion. Do the indoor light work as effective as sun?
    Meaning, if I will to shoot only indoor for a period of time, do I have to sun the lenses occasionally? Sound silly but I am really like to know if there is any effect to get keep those fungus spores at bay.
    Your first statement answers the main question whether there is a need for any precautions. That makes the 2nd question redundant. And no, all normal lamps do NOT emit any UV light intensive enough to affect fungus growth, otherwise people would use UV sunglasses indoors.
    Fungus spores are airborne and they surround you at any time of the day and night in any location except certain clean room facilities (e.g. semiconductor plants). No point trying to stop this. What you can do is to cater for conditions which do not support fungus development. The factors are already explained above. But also no point running around with hygrometer in your bag. Your camera can stand much more than what you dare to think of and no point treating the camera like a raw egg. It will just spoil the fun.
    Stop worrying, start shooting.

Blog Entries

which part of the states are you going to?

check the RH here

http://www.weathercentral.com/weathe.../humidity.html

then you can decide, btw the RH of the dry cabi is around 55%

Thank you to all pals who shared your experinces here.

The info shared definately has removed alot of worries and fear from me.

other alternative can use thirsty hippo.
    it comes in a small container and also i sachets form.
    can get it in any convenience store.

Quote Originally Posted by gunawan View Post
    Buy a small bag of BABY PAMPERS (1 pc approx 20cents) and use that to wrap your lens when not in use. These baby diapers are dessicant in nature and they absorb moisture. Another advantage is that they are thick and soft, which acts as a good lens pouch and additional protection against knocks if used with your lens bag
    Never tot of that!!! Damn good idead Now I can also utilizing those extra Mummy Pokko for my baby