Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experiences as a seller.

Unhappy Re: Experiences as a seller.

I think some of the people here might be having some bit of misconception regarding the "poor student who drives up with a lexus" archetype.

Maybe the poor student has well-to-do parents? Maybe the car isn't even his, but he was just borrowing it from his parents for convenience.

I'm a "poor student" too. I scrimp and save to buy 2nd hand stuff for my hobbies. Sometimes I do drive my dad's car too, if it the convenience far outweighs the cause of driving. Showing up driving somebody else's car doesn't automatically make anyone "rich" does it? Please try to understand that students are using what little of the money they saved from their allowance and part-timing to try to fork out for some of the better lenses etc.

Of course, there's always the shameless lowballers. Age and income doesn't seem to play a part in this. I was selling my road bike and various other accessories (to fund my own camera etc), when I met this working adult in his mid 30s. 3 young kids. RSAF officer. A wife who works also. Drives a nice big MPV with TV, GPS and what-nots. Came to view my road bike and knocked $200 off this poor student's asking price after haggling for nearly 2 hours with his wife helping him. Ended up parting with my beloved bike and more accessories than I had advertised for less money.

Where is the fairness in that! Have been a "poorer student" and a even more hard seller ever since. It's rarely a win-win situation with buying/selling stuff through forums. Don't think we should be too concerned about the stereotypes either.

Offer price. View. Happy? Pay. Not happy? What to do, don't buy/sell lor. Shouldn't give in to neither "poor student" nor "rich stingy working adult". oops...

Default Re: Experiences as a seller.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I
    Offer price. View. Happy? Pay. Not happy? What to do, don't buy/sell lor. Shouldn't give in to neither "poor student" nor "rich stingy working adult". oops...
    i do agreed with what you said, sometime it hard for some to explain or feel what's the other going thru, right?

I have met plenty. But not good are cocked up stories. Some are genuine but there is nothing much that some can help too. As both are looking for "BEST" price.

Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    agreed. Once I put an ad for a camera body and explicitly mentioned that I am in no hurry to sell. After few fair offers this guy offers me the bid-starting price and says "I'll come now" -- this is well past 9pm. I said its reserved for a buyer who is coming early morning next day, who already ofered 50 bucks higher. This guys SMSes back "so 50$ you wait". Can't believe the power people assign to their ATM cards.

Thinking back, I regret not sending him a fitting answer.
    Hehe... Should have eh! Had this fella who I agreed to sell at a certain price(lower than the price I offered to sell!) even though I had a nother offer which is higher. Look see and he asked for a further discount(I should not mention the amount for fear of me getting angry again!) stating things like no warranty lah, old lah, got new model coming lah and so on. Told him about this other offer and he burst out saying I want to jack up the price by mentioning an make-belief competition. Imagine the feeling, this fella howling at you an Funan Mac with many a people watching you. Fella was with his family! I just packed up my things and said this to him, "One of the reasons why I became a teacher is to educate our young not to be an ASS like you! Good example to your kids eh!" Told him that I was not hard up on money and asked him to get a new set. In fact my set is still with me, my son happily learning the art with it.
    People must be thinking that I must be selling so many stuff. Well I got this bad habit of trying out new technology in three areas, photography, computer and cars, not necessary in that order. Always get whacking from OC, but the kick out of playing with these toys is just too great, way betond normal vocab. Economy now bad, so must reduce that frequency!
    Cheers.
    (Better stop telling more stories or those involved might get me...Hehehe!)

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I think some of the people here might be having some bit of misconception regarding the "poor student who drives up with a lexus" archetype.

Maybe the poor student has well-to-do parents? Maybe the car isn't even his, but he was just borrowing it from his parents for convenience.

I'm a "poor student" too. I scrimp and save to buy 2nd hand stuff for my hobbies. Sometimes I do drive my dad's car too, if it the convenience far outweighs the cause of driving. Showing up driving somebody else's car doesn't automatically make anyone "rich" does it? Please try to understand that students are using what little of the money they saved from their allowance and part-timing to try to fork out for some of the better lenses etc.

Of course, there's always the shameless lowballers. Age and income doesn't seem to play a part in this. I was selling my road bike and various other accessories (to fund my own camera etc), when I met this working adult in his mid 30s. 3 young kids. RSAF officer. A wife who works also. Drives a nice big MPV with TV, GPS and what-nots. Came to view my road bike and knocked $200 off this poor student's asking price after haggling for nearly 2 hours with his wife helping him. Ended up parting with my beloved bike and more accessories than I had advertised for less money.

Where is the fairness in that! Have been a "poorer student" and a even more hard seller ever since. It's rarely a win-win situation with buying/selling stuff through forums. Don't think we should be too concerned about the stereotypes either.

Bro , you only sold him at the price YOU were willing to sell. The fact that he haggle has nothing to do with how rich he is. Rich people sometimes can be more particular about money in fact. I wouldn't say he cheated you as when a sale is done , it means both of you have agreed on the real value of the item.

Quote Originally Posted by hokkaido88 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. The moral of the story is don't sell to them if they said they're poor etc etc.

maybe put in the ad: no installement plan or buy first pay later scheme.
    installment can: tell them they will get the item after they pay the last installment?

jcryan55
    Guests

such scenarios is always playing everyday in CS.
    I ever had a student that offer to buy my Hasselblad kit set at S$800. He even mentiopned that he's doing me a favour to buy off the 500cm set from me. So, being a patient guy, I ask him how much he knows about Hassy. He said he dunno much abt it but thought it's the best brand to start medium format with. I nicely tell him that if you dunno the brand well, then I guess the set is not for you anyway since you know nuts about how to even operate it. When I suggest he try using a cheaper alternative to start off in medium format like Seagull or even Bronica, guess what's the reply? He said: " If I want to learn, I want to get the best! But I am on a budget!" I dunno why these days people dun gauge their depth of their pocket with reality.....

There's another case of me selling a Nikon lens to a student. It's not an expensive lens. I lowered the selling price down from original price to S$300, with new one costing $550. He asked if I can help a student to start off photography by giving him a discount. Considering that I have been a poor student before and I could not afford photography until I stepped into the society, I gladly sold the lens to him at $250.
    Some 3 days later, I had the same post being put up by this guy and selling the lens at $400. He did not even bother to edit the description and just attached the same image of the lens from my post. I gave him a call to ask for clarification and the answer I get was....."It is none of your business what I do with the lens after you have sold me, right? I got the right to do whatever I think deemed fit with the lens."

So, from that day onwards, I lost my compassion to help student start off photograhy with a discount. If such request is ever made to me again, I wuld bluntly tell them...."No money, then dun buy this lens or take up photography." Too bad.....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jcryan55 View Post
    such scenarios is always playing everyday in CS.
    I ever had a student that offer to buy my Hasselblad kit set at S$800. He even mentiopned that he's doing me a favour to buy off the 500cm set from me. So, being a patient guy, I ask him how much he knows about Hassy. He said he dunno much abt it but thought it's the best brand to start medium format with. I nicely tell him that if you dunno the brand well, then I guess the set is not for you anyway since you know nuts about how to even operate it. When I suggest he try using a cheaper alternative to start off in medium format like Seagull or even Bronica, guess what's the reply? He said: " If I want to learn, I want to get the best! But I am on a budget!" I dunno why these days people dun gauge their depth of their pocket with reality.....

There's another case of me selling a Nikon lens to a student. It's not an expensive lens. I lowered the selling price down from original price to S$300, with new one costing $550. He asked if I can help a student to start off photography by giving him a discount. Considering that I have been a poor student before and I could not afford photography until I stepped into the society, I gladly sold the lens to him at $250.
    Some 3 days later, I had the same post being put up by this guy and selling the lens at $400. He did not even bother to edit the description and just attached the same image of the lens from my post. I gave him a call to ask for clarification and the answer I get was....."It is none of your business what I do with the lens after you have sold me, right? I got the right to do whatever I think deemed fit with the lens."

So, from that day onwards, I lost my compassion to help student start off photograhy with a discount. If such request is ever made to me again, I wuld bluntly tell them...."No money, then dun buy this lens or take up photography." Too bad.....
    i had the same when selling my D80. he used my exact same photos too.. i pm him no reply. forget it.. he bought it's his....

Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    Bro , you only sold him at the price YOU were willing to sell. The fact that he haggle has nothing to do with how rich he is. Rich people sometimes can be more particular about money in fact. I wouldn't say he cheated you as when a sale is done , it means both of you have agreed on the real value of the item.
    Oh no. I'm not inciting that he cheated me. I just mean that he is a much better haggler than me and I was too soft when I was dealing with him. It should be the other way round cos I am not as well off as him. The incident only served to show me my naivety at that time.

Why do you sound so serious? haha. I was merely retelling a my experience.

no leh.

in the first place, if they are poor students, you should not have sold them the stuff in the first place, cos this is an expensive hobby.

you are doing them the greatest favour when you dun sell them that. you are leading them away from the dark side...

poor student is the lamest excuse one can ever give. cannot afford, why still engage in this hobby? not like this is their "tan jia", LL must buy.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

so many unscrupulous people out there.

i started photography when i was still a student, but even back then i never ever used the 'poor student' tactic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123