Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experiences as a seller.

Default Re: Experiences as a seller.

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    These 3 are funny.

Encountered another type of buyer.
    Price negotiated and confirmed, but when meet up bargain again for another $2-$5 off.
    I just let go as do not want to waste my time over a few bucks.
    Just treat it as giving to charity.

Had experienced the same too but gave in too, seeing that the buyer is a young adult starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by tribal.snake View Post
    Recently I been selling a lot of my stuff online (ebay, clubsnap, etc...), not that I need the money, but more for spring cleaning and a possible move overseas. In doing so, I encountered many "interesting" experiences and would like to share some of them here.

Do feel free to contribute and add on.
    Not to invite flames wars but just sharing for fun i guess.

1. A "student" called me about a camera and ask for lower price being a "overseas poor" student. so when we met up, he drove up in a lexus.... and on chatting, was a bloody law student in nus.

2. Was selling my leica on ebay last yr. Encountered a seller who sent me an essay on how m8 was the way to go, and the older Ms were just for fun and have to be sold cheap. He recommended my m6 be sold to him for 200 USD...

3. Someone sms me "all 5 DX lenses for 3000, self pickup" so i went "too low for package deal". then he went "DX lenses being phased out by nikon, sell now to me to get good price"... i went silent. i later found out which dealer it was at peninsula.

4. Another "student" email me abt having installment plans for a phone, "can you let me have the phone now. i need one urgently and am a poor student. i will pay you back in installments over 6 months". ok sounds reasonable, but wth a poor student need a nokia communicator for?!

5. A 30+ guy came to collect a bag i had offered free for students in another forum. He came with a student card and said that he was collecting on behalf of his son. So i ask him what was his name, it was Chua. The "son"'s surname was Wong...

6. This one was funny. A gal called me abt a laptop i was selling. the conversation went like... "i really need this laptop for my work. i will pay u in installments and u can come to ktv for drinks for free." so which ktv was she talking abt? tian an men...

o man... the things some ppl do...
    Bro after buying a lexus, if he is asking for discount etc , he is really poor in the sense that the lexus is probably taking up most of his allowance etc, so there is no contradiction here , just someone who bit off more than he can chew.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Do you have any idea how much these gals make in 1 week?
    A lot.
    A week!!? They make in a week what I make in a YEAR!!!
    :

Maybe I should shave my legs and do a Brazilian...

Next time if the buyer use the "poor student" tactics, just call off the deal.
    In a way you are helping the "poor student" to save his money for rainy days.

Next time if the buyer use the "poor student" tactics, just call off the deal.
    In a way you are helping the "poor student" to save his money for rainy days.
    ... is there a need to generalise?

(of course, selling to the highest bidder is highly recommended too )

and i thought its easier to get scammed by a seller.. not as a seller..
    mmm maybe im nt exposed enuf to the "real" world.... naw i still prefer to be in my "protected" average teenage life..hahaha
    Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Gitzo GT1541T, GH1780QR Ball head.

i always kena, for my holga fisheye lens, write so many times, use bold text stating that its for a holga,

but silly people always ask me 'what dslr can this fit har?'

Student ask for student price! If still studying then get something which you can afford! Even had a guy who said that he had just spent a lot on a dentist and asked me for a discount. Told him that I cannot help him with his teething problems.
    Many times I had people asking for a lowered price because they had to travel to get the things I was selling. Don't we all have to travel to a shop to get our stuff? Unless we buy everything online... with shipping and so on!
    One guy tried a real fast one by showing his empty wallet after paying me lesser than the agreed price, asking him to help me because not enough money. I gave him back his money, packed up my things and left. He tried to stop me by saying that he would withdraw more from the atm. I just walked away.
    My friend had this buyer who tried everything that can be tested on the camera, took a lot of shots and started saying how a few hundred more could get him a new one and the usual lines. My friend took the set, packed it up and told the fella to buy a new one instead. Minutes later he smsed saying that he was mistaken abt the price of a new set and offered to buy my friend's set. Thick skin!!!
    With times getting harder now, many buyers (and many are making first time postings!) are thinking that we are selling out of desperation ie in need of cash. You try to sell something new and they offer a price which is 2 to 3 hundred lesser and end by saying "I buy now". My answer has always been an offering o 2 to 3 hundred more that the price I started with and ending with "I sell now!".
    Wah long story eh! Cannot help it. I have sold many things in many forums.. So many experiences which must let go lah!!! Maybe will oneday write a book about it! Hehehe
    Cheers

Deregistered

well i do say i am a student at times. but really poor student what. me using old discarded lenses sia..

anyway, installment plan i dunno abt it man.. cant trust that..

i had one buyer who wanted to pay $200 first for my D80 with grip and extra batt and pay the rest when he get his bonus... he is a workign adult. how hard to pay $1k upfront? hmm... of cos i didn agree to it. i say $200 u take grip only..

lolz, i think all of us had some fun experiences with buyers and sellers.
    i have to agree with bro d100s, "if still studying then get something which you can afford!"

buy wat you can afford.

latest experience just an hour ago, but non-camera related.
    was helping my foreign neighbours sell off their mercs as they are moving back home.
    drove to meet this bro off holland but damm... an ah beng turned up!
    walk around the car a bit and... "ah i think the car fake one leh..."
    now my friend and i got really puzzled... a fake mercs?
    then he went "u see the color wrong, mercs dun have this color one. think someone spray before. the rims also dun look original. and the crest look so small. u went JB zeng before ah? nvm since u so hurry sell, i take it for u at 100k cash."

a cls-series for 100k... well done. and i tot the FM95.0 subaru commercial was a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird17 View Post
    well i do say i am a student at times. but really poor student what. me using old discarded lenses sia..

anyway, installment plan i dunno abt it man.. cant trust that..

i had one buyer who wanted to pay $200 first for my D80 with grip and extra batt and pay the rest when he get his bonus... he is a workign adult. how hard to pay $1k upfront? hmm... of cos i didn agree to it. i say $200 u take grip only..
    A working adult trying to play games with a student... wow, seriously
    Last edited by Daedalus Trent; 23rd January 2009 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D100S View Post
    One guy tried a real fast one by showing his empty wallet after paying me lesser than the agreed price, asking him to help me because not enough money. I gave him back his money, packed up my things and left. He tried to stop me by saying that he would withdraw more from the atm. I just walked away.

My friend had this buyer who tried everything that can be tested on the camera, took a lot of shots and started saying how a few hundred more could get him a new one and the usual lines. My friend took the set, packed it up and told the fella to buy a new one instead. Minutes later he smsed saying that he was mistaken abt the price of a new set and offered to buy my friend's set. Thick skin!!!
    All sorts of stunts around.

i got this too! Mine was 100 bucks for deposit then will pay the rest after three months where he was getting his bonus. And it's for a D70s Body only..... 600++

And must pass him all the stuff 1st... etc
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    i got this too! Mine was 100 bucks for deposit then will pay the rest after three months where he was getting his bonus. And it's for a D70s Body only..... 600++

$100 deposit just give him the battery, charger and box/manual (if any) first.
    Then pass the body to him once he paid up the balace after 3 months.

For $100 and u cannot use yr cam for the next 3 mths...... forget man. Tell him u keep his $100 as safe keeping, otherwise he will spend it. 3 months will pass him everything!!!

This people are stupid or wad??? If they are not, then they must be a CON!!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

i asked him wait till he get his bonus then buy. By the time, he might changed his mind for better camera
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post

yaaa.. must be the same guy!!! haha he promise than say bonus delay. but working adult how come $1k so hard to fork out? Hmmm..

FYI

i have an experience with a wedding cser. wanted to post on his thread to demand payment and expose him but i think better not else too much of headache argue and quarrel here on cs.

anyway offered to help him sell lenses for commission but i had a HELL of a hard time collecting my commission. all was so grey.. he said i get 20% of profit and how much profit he makes i donít know. he tells me $50 for this lense etc etc than later give me excuse hkd drop and it become a mere $15. anyway i needed to take back $30 from him. i msn msg him no reply always and i threat to expose him than he reply. we quarrel too as he always say he promise tmr and all.... how can a MARRIED man be so irresponsible? he even had the cheek to ask me if i ever broken a promise before(childish). this sort of guy, good luck to the couple that he works with. so stingy with $30!!!!

i still got the chat log... but well i learn not to be native and well ppl are not what they seem to be. he is still around and seem like making a name for himself offering wedding section but i am glad i saw the real him and cut ties!!

yaaa.. must be the same guy!!! haha he promise than say bonus delay. but working adult how come $1k so hard to fork out? Hmmm..
    No offend mate....We need to get some perspect here too if you don't mind. Working Adult does not mean $1K not hard to fork out. A toilet cleaner whether he be 18 to 69 is a working adult. Think he can fork out $1k for anything?

Let's see the situation for what it was, a smart aleck trying to outsmart a seller as he believes there is a fool born everyday. If he don't try how he knows he would not get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by D100S View Post
    With times getting harder now, many buyers (and many are making first time postings!) are thinking that we are selling out of desperation ie in need of cash. You try to sell something new and they offer a price which is 2 to 3 hundred lesser and end by saying "I buy now".
    agreed. Once I put an ad for a camera body and explicitly mentioned that I am in no hurry to sell. After few fair offers this guy offers me the bid-starting price and says "I'll come now" -- this is well past 9pm. I said its reserved for a buyer who is coming early morning next day, who already ofered 50 bucks higher. This guys SMSes back "so 50$ you wait". Can't believe the power people assign to their ATM cards.

Thinking back, I regret not sending him a fitting answer.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    No offend mate....We need to get some perspect here too if you don't mind. Working Adult does not mean $1K not hard to fork out. A toilet cleaner whether he be 18 to 69 is a working adult. Think he can fork out $1k for anything?

Let's see the situation for what it was, a smart aleck trying to outsmart a seller as he believes there is a fool born everyday. If he don't try how he knows he would not get away with it.
    you got a point here. but than again if he cant why propose installments? soem just take others for a foool..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast