Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Is Life a Gamble?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Question Is Life a Gamble?

    Some people feel that life is meaningless without any purpose,
    they have lose their jobs and could not find other jobs for more than a year.

    To these people they would be driven to the point that Life is a Gamble,
    so they took to gambling hoping to find a way out.

    What would be your thoughts on the statement:
    "Life is a Gamble" and when you are afraid to take risk you
    will have to be responsible for that decision throughout your life.


  2. #2

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    of course. however, in life, once u've have made a decision, u can never look back. we just have to keep looking forward. In life, we never know if we win or lose; unlike on gambling table.

    maybe they in despair, can turn to WDA for help! or their RC, MP, MOM, etc

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Is Life a Gamble?
    It is for me after they build the IRs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Life's not a gamble, its more like "Decisions Made Are a Gamble on Weighted Odds".
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Life...is like INTEGRATED RESORT!

    You work (as Service staff do in IR)
    You make decisions (Gamble)
    You have fun (Other non-casino entertainment facilities)
    You shop.
    ...in anycase, you live.

    "Life...don't talk to me about life. Hate it of loathe it, you just can't ignore it!"
    (from Marvin the Paranoid Android)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    you can make informed decisions, that is very different from a gamble.

    that said, not everything is within your control; but definitely more control than playing roulette, for example.

    i guess neil gaiman says it best in the sandman series:

    "The paths fork and divide. With each step you take through Destiny's garden, you make a choice; and every choice determines future paths. However, at the end of a lifetime of walking you might look back, and see only one path stretching out behind you; or look ahead, and see only darkness."

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    look on the bright side....

    although you dun get CTRL-ALT-DEL in life...

    ... but you only need to face BSOD once.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  8. #8
    Deregistered scandal599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Escaped from Gotham Asylum
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    I work in a bank...as a trader...gambling? I do that everyday and everyday I tell myself I will not gamble anymore. But I go back everyday to do it.

    My name is Scandal599. And everyday, I am gambling. I need help.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    look on the bright side....

    although you dun get CTRL-ALT-DEL in life...

    ... but you only need to face BSOD once.
    In rare cases, some ppl die a few times. Heard of stories ppl wake up from death.


    To me, Life is a gamble. The moment you wakes up, you can choose to get off bed or laze in bed. The consequence could be late for work/school. You can choose to have yr BF at home of in the office/school. consequence could be no more BF for you at home. You cross the road, you could be hit by car etc. You stay at home, could die if your house collapse and burried you alive. You can choose to study hard or dont. Consequence is you may not find a good job later in life. However some dropouts still make it big.



    I could go on but in short, Life is a Gamble but only difference from real gambling is you dont know the Odds and you dont even know if you win or lost.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    In rare cases, some ppl die a few times. Heard of stories ppl wake up from death.
    Those are the lucky ones (I think)... but in life, there's definitely exceptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    To me, Life is a gamble. The moment you wakes up, you can choose to get off bed or laze in bed. The consequence could be late for work/school. You can choose to have yr BF at home of in the office/school. consequence could be no more BF for you at home. You cross the road, you could be hit by car etc. You stay at home, could die if your house collapse and burried you alive. You can choose to study hard or dont. Consequence is you may not find a good job later in life. However some dropouts still make it big.

    I could go on but in short, Life is a Gamble but only difference from real gambling is you dont know the Odds and you dont even know if you win or lost.
    Life is as what you say.... you can already "foresee" the consequences of your intent. Like NM as quoted below, it's not really gamble per-se.

    BTW there's no such thing as win or lose in life... it's just life.... you either make investments or you can just put in safe deposit... either way the ROI is a zero-sum game at the end.


    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you can make informed decisions, that is very different from a gamble.

    that said, not everything is within your control; but definitely more control than playing roulette, for example.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    If you gamble.. you will loose always

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    If you gamble.. you will loose always
    Sad, if that is the mindset that you have.

    To equip oneself not to fall to the prey of the virtue of optimism,
    always work towards to the bright side of life and adopt
    the attitude to be number one.

    When two countries decided to go to war, it is a gamble already.
    But somehow, after the ceasefire, both countries claimed they
    had won. So there is no loser! The latest example of such a
    war fought is between Hamas and Israel.

    -----------------------------------------
    Can you achieve optimism
    through efforts?


  13. #13
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    If you gamble.. you will loose always
    What Yappy said is most true. Dun stake ur life on a wanton gamble hope that something good will fall onto you.

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Sad, if that is the mindset that you have.
    I dun think having the war between Hamas and Israel was just a game of gamble.
    Winning is how u define ur targets. Do you think having such a scale of destruction with loss of life and living in terror actually counts for anything ?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    If you gamble.. you will loose always
    Not True at all!

    You don't lose (loose?) always.

    I buy $3.50 toto about once a week for the past 2 years. So around 100 times (52 x2 minus a few times I forget to buy). But out of that 100 times, I Kanna a $20 once!!! So I don't ALWAYS lose! I only lost around 99% of the time!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is Life a Gamble?

    Quote Originally Posted by AMediaLuz View Post
    Not True at all!

    You don't lose (loose?) always.

    I buy $3.50 toto about once a week for the past 2 years. So around 100 times (52 x2 minus a few times I forget to buy). But out of that 100 times, I Kanna a $20 once!!! So I don't ALWAYS lose! I only lost around 99% of the time!
    hahahaha

    like the oldies, 还在赌就不算输!
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •