Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: in full time photog

Default Re: in full time photog

Quote Originally Posted by iamryansaw View Post
    okay let me guess. It's like. Maybe people who have no or not much knowledge about photography? And they just view a photographer's fancy gear and go , "Wow. This guy has the tank. He must be good".
    It is true for some cases that I came across.
    UK HMS Photojournalist

hmm... i might beg to differ.... i've been using a 5d and 5dmk2 for most of my corporate shots for MNCs ... and honestly... they're more concerned about results than anything else.

As for having high end gear - the best pros know that if they lack anything... renting is the best commercial sense...

I dont shoot full time though.... but i only do portrait anyway so yeah .. it's in relation to this aspect of the business...
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

As a Pro, I do have the 5D Mk II and 1Ds Mk III, but mostly the foreign MNC companies are still interested if you have any better gears.
    Last edited by wranger; 11th February 2009 at 11:54 AM.
    UK HMS Photojournalist

ejun and wranger,

this shows precisely the importance of networking and the eccentricities that it entails. I think each of you have different sort of clients hence have different experiences on their expectations. I deal with a different industry(not photography related at all) and yes the expectations of different clients from different networks / affiliations have come forth with different expectations too.

There's the corporate sort who has very little feel of the ground (ie Stat Boards) and there's the bread and butter companies and projects dealt by very tech savvy ground people who know what exactly they want. The former is a pain to deal with before the project... all the red tape and tons of BS... But once you get through that, its plain sailing as they are generally very ill informed about what to expect... a 2 weeks project takes 2 months to get through the paperwork, the actual maybe 3-4 days. And wrap up is another 2 days.... Those guys look at what you can present to them rather than what you can deliver to them!!

The latter is the other extreme. The pain comes after the project where they will squeeze every drop out of you. BUT... if you're good, they are the best to deal with. Deliver your product/service and they get exactly what they want... and you get paid. Very fast process... A 2 weeks project takes 2 weeks max. They just want results and its a pretty pleasant affair if you can deliver what they want!

I think your respective clients should have somewhat similar profiles yeah ??

True. Having a good network is important as well.

Hi all

Here's a relevant article to read. Not everyone will agree, but I think Ken Rockwell gives very practical advice. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/go-pro.htm

Quote Originally Posted by humbee View Post
    Hi all

Here's a relevant article to read. Not everyone will agree, but I think Ken Rockwell gives very practical advice. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/go-pro.htm

With ken rockwell and his many of his other articles, there are only half truths to them.

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    With ken rockwell and his many of his other articles, there are only half truths to them.
    Hi Agape, I do agree, especially when he condemns shooting in RAW formats. After all, RAW provides the greatest flexibility, so I can't agree with this fully. He also rejects anything other than sRGB color space, which seems extreme to me.

However, there's also alot to learn from this practical shooter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by humbee View Post
    Hi Agape, I do agree, especially when he condemns shooting in RAW formats. After all, RAW provides the greatest flexibility, so I can't agree with this fully. He also rejects anything other than sRGB color space, which seems extreme to me.

However, there's also alot to learn from this practical shooter as well.
    For me, I've almost disregarded whatever ken posts and his opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Having a D3X or 1DM3 does not mean that 100% he/she is a good photographer...
    on the other hand, people will shun the photographer if he uses a 300D... even before trying to figure out whether his skills is good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12