Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Only Pros shoot in Manual mode?

Default Re: Only Pros shoot in Manual mode?

Manual was the only mode when i started photography and it was really really expensive back then during film days as you have to bracket several shots at different settings. Get it developed and see which setting worked for which conditions.

Learning by trial and errors.

But with digital...when you didn't get that first shot/exposure correct after reviewing the image taken at any of the auto modes then can to switch to M mode depending which is your priority...DOF or Speed...but with one caveat...the light condition remains unchanged.

Don't expect to shoot at the same mode/setting that did't give you correct exposure, do you?

Anyway, that's what i do...
    Last edited by anuar ahmad; 24th January 2009 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    With the help of the built-in light meter, its just offers the greatest amount of flexibility. You dun have to care about expousre compensation. Aperture, shutter and iso all at the tips of your fingers. It just doesnt make sense, for example, in Aperture-priority, with the iso fixed, the camera sets whatever shutter speed with my chosen aperture to maintain the proper exposure (or what the camera thinks).
    One could equally say "With the help of the built-in light meter, its just offers the greatest amount of flexibility. You dun have to care about shutter speed. Aperture, exposure compensation, and iso all at the tips of your fingers." which is the case at least with Canon cameras, if you know how to use your equipment. And if you are using the built in light meter to set apeture and shutter speed, its not clear how you can do better than Av/Tv + compensation: you are already believing "what the camera thinks" and doing adjustments to that. Majority of the time with Tv/Av, camera can get the exposure right, and there's no need to compensate anyway, leaving you only one contol to worry about which would determine the easthetics of the picture.

Professionals usually do the minimum amount of work necessary that does the job right. It's hobbysts that do things hard way for the sake of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    Professionals usually do the minimum amount of work necessary that does the job right. It's hobbysts that do things hard way for the sake of doing it.

You'll be surprised to know the extent some professionals go to get the job done right.

Quote Originally Posted by anuar ahmad View Post
    You'll be surprised to know the extent some professionals go to get the job done right.
    i think he meant that they knew the most efficient way to get the job done,

rather than them spending small amounts of time (quantitatively).

Quote Originally Posted by anuar ahmad View Post
    I won't be surprised. I already said "get the job done right" and your emphasizing it neither adds anything to it nor makes my argument invalid.

In low-lighting conditons, Manual is the way to go for me. In broad daylight then Aperture priority would more than do the job.

The following suggestions, but not limited to ....

Night shoots low light condition - M
    General photo shoots - Av
    Sport and action shoots - Tv
    Taking note of the situation and your cam's capabilities (e.g sensor good noise / ISO controls, your lens speed and aperture, time of the day, a passing cloud, the scenario etc) the above settings can be changed to capture the best shot.

A pro will make full use of his equipment and cam mode to the fullest to capture the moment.

Which is more likely from someone viewing your pictures?

"oooo, nice picture!"

or

"oooo, manual mode!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123