Thread: Dry Box

Default Dry Box

Hi all

I just got a dry box, and turn it on for 24 hrs... so can I put the lenses in now??

The RH is now 30 too low??? What is the recommended range???

Mine is the Akarui from Cathay.... 40L...

Thank you..
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Default Re: Dry Box

After you put your lenses in, it wouuldn't be 30% anymore. Let it settle at between 45-55% (recommended range) would be good enough. Anything lower may dry up the lubrication in the lenses and the rubber may crack and if it's too high, fungus may grow.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Every dry cabinet comes with a manual, right? Reading the manual takes less time than posting a question here and waiting for answers.
    In short: recommended RH range for cameras and lenses is 45-55% (also, see your camera manual, there is a chapter about "Environmental Conditions").
    Watch the RH reading for the next days, it will fluctuate and start at higher level. Reason is: the dry box must get dry at inside and your camera as well (especially if you put it in with strap on). Don't get nervous, just watch. If RH goes below 45% then adjust the box accordingly (again: see manual). After a couple of days the RH will stabilize, adjust when necessary and leave it there. Once you open the door of course RH will go up. That's normal cause you let in humid air from outside. Don't do anything, within a few hours everything's back to normal.

set mine to 48+-

generally 45-50% RH

Thank you all for your reply...

I overlooked the instruction manual.... that's why I posted here...

I have placed all my lens inside.. and seems like still got some room... so can get another few lens and body maybe..... heheh.....

Be careful with analog hygrometers: they may not be accurate. Digital ones are usually quite accurate.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Be careful with analog hygrometers: they may not be accurate. Digital ones are usually quite accurate.
    Where can buy separate digital hygrometer, and how much will it cost??

From my experience, best RH range is between 40%-60%. Anything lower would be too dry and may cause problems with lubricants and other coatings. Higher than 60% may be too damp and may cause fungus growth.

Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    The display type is irrelevant. The main question is: is it calibrated or not? Secondly: does it matter if the hygrometer shows 5% more or less as to justify the purchase of a (more expensive) calibrated device?

I believe some will actually have 2 hygrometer in the dry cab for insurance...

I got my dry cab to stabilized at 40RH... so hope everything will be fine now...

If the lens have signs of fungus, where can I get it cleaned? Also, how much would it cost???

Thanks..