Thread: F Stop & Shuuter Speed

Default F Stop & Shuuter Speed

Does F stop affects shutter speed?
    If it does, how?

Default Re: F Stop & Shuuter Speed

Quote Originally Posted by alv777 View Post
    If it does, how?
    I suggest reading the newbies guides on the basics of exposure. Also, borrow a book on the basics of photography. Also, try reading online. Do a search.

Also, if you don't know the basics of exposure, better stick to a simple point-and-shoot camera.
    Alpha

No, it doesn't affect your shutter speed if you're in Manual mode.
    All it does it to vary the amount of light reaching the sensor, again, if you're in Manual mode.

Quote Originally Posted by PyeeL View Post
    No, it doesn't affect your shutter speed if you're in Manual mode.
    All it does it to vary the amount of light reaching the sensor, again, if you're in Manual mode.
    But it will affect it in A mode or P mode.

Again, better borrow a book about the basics of photography.
    Alpha

Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Just to get you started.

F-stop determines the size of the aperture, i.e. how big a hole is given to let in light.

Shutter speed is how long the light has to fill your sensor.

The third part of the equation is ISO, which determines how sensitive your sensor is to light.

In combo, they control how exposed your shot is.

In M mode, hold any 2 constant and change 1 to see the variations.
    Last edited by crimsonseas; 19th January 2009 at 12:58 AM.

If it does, how?
    i should copy this analogy that i saw once in clubsnap when i was new and paste it up somewhere. take a photograph as something you have to fill up with water. too much is bad, too little is bad. the camera is effectively your hose.

1) iso is essentially how fast the water flows through the hose. the other thing that is affected by it is the amount of noise present.

2) aperture is the diameter of the hose. the other thing that is affected by it is depth of field.

3) shutter speed is how LONG the water flows through the hose. the other thing that is affected by it is the amount of MOTION in your picture.

adjust one of each, to get the PROPER amount of water in your photo (i.e. not too much, not too little), you have to compensate for the other.

take for example, if i increase the speed of the water, EITHER 2, 3 or BOTH have to be modified accordingly. obviously either the diameter must be rendered smaller, or the water should flow for a shorter period of time, or both must be changed.

if none of the terms are understood here, google is your best friend. cheers.

Woa night86mare, your cited analogy needs some time to think thru ..

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Woa night86mare, your cited analogy needs some time to think thru ..

Ryan
    better water than light!

you guys really really good,

for such question with no head no tail, I really really don't know how to answer.

If it does, how?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    better water than light!
    Drawing analogy with the particulate nature of light ?!
    Ok i am off thread.

I hope the TS alv777 has gotten his answer. A simple experiment would be to adjust different aperture / shutter speed and compare the photos taken. Might be more convincing than reading alone. Self discovery is often more lasting for me.

Ryan

i should copy this analogy that i saw once in clubsnap when i was new and paste it up somewhere. take a photograph as something you have to fill up with water. too much is bad, too little is bad. the camera is effectively your hose.

1) iso is essentially how fast the water flows through the hose. the other thing that is affected by it is the amount of noise present.

2) aperture is the diameter of the hose. the other thing that is affected by it is depth of field.

3) shutter speed is how LONG the water flows through the hose. the other thing that is affected by it is the amount of MOTION in your picture.

adjust one of each, to get the PROPER amount of water in your photo (i.e. not too much, not too little), you have to compensate for the other.

take for example, if i increase the speed of the water, EITHER 2, 3 or BOTH have to be modified accordingly. obviously either the diameter must be rendered smaller, or the water should flow for a shorter period of time, or both must be changed.

if none of the terms are understood here, google is your best friend. cheers.
    Hello

Page 5 of Pentax guide http://digiichi.pentax.jp/english/tech/vol_08.html

better water than light!
    Hehehe... Strangely true isn't it? It's easier for one to visualize water than light...
    Last edited by crimsonseas; 19th January 2009 at 01:22 PM.

i can never explain this kind of simple ques in words lol

amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Bathtub81 View Post
    hrm. i didn't see it there. as much as i tell people RTFM, i have hardly read mine.

but anyways, someone else used that analogy, who knows, it may be a pentaxian, but i remembered it, and i think it's effective in explaining how light works.. at least for a rudimentary level.