Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Govt may tap reserves

  1. #1

    Default Govt may tap reserves

    Govt may tap reserves

    SM Goh said the PM and finance minister are considering doing so to pay for some of the measures in next week's Budget. -ST

    Sun, Jan 18, 2009
    The Straits Times

    THE Government is considering dipping into its reserves to help tide Singaporeans through the economic downturn.

    Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong revealed on Sunday morning that the Prime Minister and Finance Minister are mulling over the possibility of dipping into the reserves to pay for some of the measures in next week's Budget.

    Speaking to reporters after giving out hongbaos to the low income in his Marine Parade constituency, he said: 'The issue which the Prime Minister and the Minister of Finance is now thinking over, is whether we should go to President, and ask him for approval to use the reserves for extraordinary measures.'

    source : - http://news.asiaone.com/print/News/A...18-115455.html

  2. #2

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    Govt may tap reserves

    SM Goh said the PM and finance minister are considering doing so to pay for some of the measures in next week's Budget. -ST

    Sun, Jan 18, 2009
    The Straits Times

    THE Government is considering dipping into its reserves to help tide Singaporeans through the economic downturn.

    Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong revealed on Sunday morning that the Prime Minister and Finance Minister are mulling over the possibility of dipping into the reserves to pay for some of the measures in next week's Budget.

    Speaking to reporters after giving out hongbaos to the low income in his Marine Parade constituency, he said: 'The issue which the Prime Minister and the Minister of Finance is now thinking over, is whether we should go to President, and ask him for approval to use the reserves for extraordinary measures.'

    source : - http://news.asiaone.com/print/News/A...18-115455.html
    the Prime Minister and Finance Minister?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    the Prime Minister and Finance Minister?
    eh, so wad?.. i rather clueless...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    the Prime Minister and Finance Minister?
    Yep. The current PM holds the FM position in the government as well.

    :Later,

  5. #5

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Yep. The current PM holds the FM position in the government as well.

    :Later,
    Tharman SHANMUGARATNAM is the Minister for Finance

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    Tharman SHANMUGARATNAM is the Minister for Finance
    I stand corrected.

    /me goes back to the bat cave.

    :Later,

  7. #7

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    I stand corrected.

    /me goes back to the bat cave.

    :Later,
    No worries. It was a honest mistake. And we Singaporeans are extremely tolerant towards honest mistakes. Let's move on shall we?

  8. #8
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyeyedpsycho View Post
    No worries. It was a honest mistake. And we Singaporeans are extremely tolerant towards honest mistakes. Let's move on shall we?


    More good years ahead
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  9. #9
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Yup, and all the signs point towards an election coming. Notice the cascading waves of good news (minibonds news just before this).

  10. #10
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    About time.....

    So, would they give the citizen enough for us to get a 5DMkII ??

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  11. #11
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    About time.....

    So, would they give the citizen enough for us to get a 5DMkII ??
    How to buy in rebates?

    ../azul123

  12. #12

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    the Prime Minister and Finance Minister?
    What are you trying to say?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by diCam View Post
    What are you trying to say?
    That he doesn't know that PM Lee had relinquished the Finance Portfolio to Tharman Shanmugratnam long ago?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  14. #14

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    That he doesn't know that PM Lee had relinquished the Finance Portfolio to Tharman Shanmugratnam long ago?
    I don't want to 2nd guess what is in the mind of dreaming when he/she posted this question. Better hear it from the horse's mouth. After all, dreaming should elaborate on it.
    Last edited by diCam; 19th January 2009 at 02:58 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    How about giving out voucher to every Citizen to spur the expenditure like Taiwan did?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by diCam View Post
    I don't want to 2nd guess what is in the mind of the TS when he posted this question. Better hear it from the horse's mouth. After all, the TS should elaborate on it.
    TS? i always tot TS = Thread starter....

  17. #17

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    This is what it is meant for.

    We are fortunate that we have reserve... what if we don't?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    +1 before close

    as I thought CS cannot discuss politics one?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    +1 before close

    as I thought CS cannot discuss politics one?
    I think it still fall within general information.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Govt may tap reserves

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    This is what it is meant for.

    We are fortunate that we have reserve... what if we don't?
    we can always lower or get rid of GST this year just to encourage spending.

    jude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •