Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3678910131833 ... LastLast

Thread: FZriends Thread (FZ18 & FZ28 users and ex-users group - part II)

Default Re: FZriends Thread (FZ18 & FZ28 users and ex-users group - part II)

I was hoping for a little more FZ18/28 chat/pics here.
    I don't own either yet, but i've been thinking of getting an FZ after seeing some impressive macro shots by tchuanye and stevewhy.
    I'm not that keen on most FZ range (like the FZ18) due to the USB 1.0 transfer speeds. I guess it's not the most important aspect though.
    ex-Nikon owner - now only iPhone :/

Quote Originally Posted by TroyP View Post
    I was hoping for a little more FZ18/28 chat/pics here.
    I don't own either yet, but i've been thinking of getting an FZ after seeing some impressive macro shots by tchuanye and stevewhy.
    I'm not that keen on most FZ range (like the FZ18) due to the USB 1.0 transfer speeds. I guess it's not the most important aspect though.
    Hi TroyP,

We usually have quite a bit of FZ pics here, especially if you link back to the older thread. Just that in this new thread, and during this season, our FZer's seem to be sleeping a bit! Nevertheless, its still an FZ thread just that some of us have moved on to DSLR, but the group spirit is still intact (I hope!) haha.

Its curious that someone coming from a D90 will want to get an FZ, nevertheless, its still cheaper than buying a macro lens? Haha. The FZ18 USB speed can be easily overcome by a card reader. If you go through the threads, we have 2 excellent macro shooters, especially Riscal and the other one's Clunk, should see their works. =)

Guess the main advantage of the FZ doing Macro is the 4/3 aspect ratio, and relatively easier to sustain a larger DOF compared to DSLRs. =)
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyP View Post
    Personally after taking ten of thousands of photos using my FZ50, I have never once use the USB Mass Storage before....

actually so far, i have not heard any complain about the usb speed, even though most of the FZ user know it... noise is still the main concern when come to FZ for me, but i think there should be a ways to overcome it...

Juz some shots with an FZ18

Quote Originally Posted by SJvizuals View Post
    Good shots...

Hi SJvizuals and TroyP, welcome aboard to you both, SJ, very nice shots, is that what sunny weather looks like? We are in the grip of a long gloomy monsoon. Bring on the sunshine.
    Also welcome Anson, I am sorry I did not have the chance to meet you while I was there at Christmas, I have admired your work, so many pretty girls. ooh la la!
    Ombre is trying to convert me to a DSLR but I think I would go for a FZ 50 before I took that step. I really miss not having a hotshoe.
    Got to go the tennis final between Federer and Nadal is looking quite interesting.
    Ex-FZ 28 Sony a330 SAM 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM 4-5.6/55-200 DCR250

Quote Originally Posted by SJvizuals View Post
    Stunning shots! Especially #1

Hey SJvizuals,

Great shots! Keep it up
    Looking for Photographers? | My Portfolio
    http://www.photoera.uni.cc/ | http://folio.navlem.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Hi SJvizuals and TroyP, welcome aboard to you both, SJ, very nice shots, is that what sunny weather looks like? We are in the grip of a long gloomy monsoon. Bring on the sunshine.
    Also welcome Anson, I am sorry I did not have the chance to meet you while I was there at Christmas, I have admired your work, so many pretty girls. ooh la la!
    Ombre is trying to convert me to a DSLR but I think I would go for a FZ 50 before I took that step. I really miss not having a hotshoe.
    Got to go the tennis final between Federer and Nadal is looking quite interesting.
    It seems we have the same Idea. I'm also looking for FZ50 but not urgent. Unless opportunity comes.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

Hi Ricsal, yeah I think I would go to an FZ50. Mr Rudd has announced a new strategy to stimulate the Ozzy economy, he wants spend $42 billion and in part of that give about $950 to every tax payer, hoping that they will spend spend spend. The opposition has moved to block it.
    I hope it goes through, I don't know if it will save the economy, but it will get me a new FZ50 although I would be happy with a good second hand one.
    Ex-FZ 28 Sony a330 SAM 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM 4-5.6/55-200 DCR250

ah somehow I feel tempted. I'm currently without a camera body! But I can't possibly forsake my lens =(

Ups for a FZ50!... sheesh I nearly typed 50D.

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    ah somehow I feel tempted. I'm currently without a camera body! But I can't possibly forsake my lens =(

If you are moving from dslr to FZ50, you need to get used to the slight lag in the EVF (compared to OVF). Hence you need to anticipate your shoots early, hence it is easier to do catwalk shoot than a dancing event on a FZ50.

Huh you planning to get FZ50 instead?
    Looking for Photographers? | My Portfolio
    http://www.photoera.uni.cc/ | http://folio.navlem.com/

Hm.. maybe, but then it could be a stupid idea.

Was thinking of getting a 30D to hold my 135L, and a FZ50 to cover the entire zoom range for the less important shots.. dismounting the 135L is quite a turn off.

Then again, not cool if the FZ50 is still $350... if its $150 I might...

Was thinking of getting a 30D to hold my 135L, and a FZ50 to cover the entire zoom range for the less important shots.. dismounting the 135L is quite a turn off.

i dun think will ever reach $150... if FZ50 reach $150 , FZ18 might get below $100... which is very very low as compared to average camera price

If someone is selling their FZ50 now at S$350, then I would say he don't see the value of the FZ50....

At the price of S$150 (about the price of a 50mm F1.8 lens) now, he/she is like "giving" the camera for free...

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    If someone is selling their FZ50 now at S$350, then I would say he don't see the value of the FZ50....

At the price of S$150 (about the price of a 50mm F1.8 lens) now, he/she is like "giving" the camera for free...
    The $150 part is just in abstract terms for me to convey my point, it probably won't reach that price in 2 years.

As for $350, that is the market for FZ50, 2-3 weeks ago when I was surfing, there were at least 3 sets going at that asking price (not negotiated yet!), you never know the amount of 'Compliance' (I'm using a techincal psychology term here ) you can get from some sellers with a bit of 'negotiation'. But this is really subjective.

Also the 'value of FZ50' is quite subjective, it depends on operational definition of value. Personally to me, value is not what I will pay for it, but what is a reasonable profit for a seller/manufacturer. Guess we shouldn't over-rate the market, about 8 months ago, I bought the FZ18 (brand new) @ $400 only. Think about this way, even if the camera is not worth that much (ie. in terms of usability or just plain cost), shop owners may still try to maintain their prices. For instance, when the FZ28 came out, it costed like $680 (street price here), whilst you could always import them at $550. True, you can argue its a grey set, but what really is different? They probably came from the same factory, so if its not the product thats different... the remaining variables must lie with the... seller?

But of course, there are other ways to look at it, from a supply-demand perspective etc... I'm no economist, but generally offering my take on the subjective value of, in this case, cameras.

As for $350, that is the market for FZ50, 2-3 weeks ago when I was surfing, there were at least 3 sets going at that asking price (not negotiated yet!), you never know the amount of 'Compliance' (I'm using a techincal psychology term here ) you can get from some sellers with a bit of 'negotiation'. But this is really subjective.
    To me unlike a normal dslr, the upkeep (dry box, lens cleaning, etc) of the FZ50 is much lower. Hence I don't see that people in the rush of selling it away. You would always see people selling their gears at rock bottom price if the demand is down. Given a year or two the 2nd hand price may drop to S$350, and technology advancement (maybe in future there would be a G2 with a 14 ~250mm kit lens with the ability to take video) and the falling price of the dslr.

The FZ50 is quite different from most of the current prosumer (non-dslr) cameras in the market. To me it is still one of the best all in one solution photography solution I see in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    To me unlike a normal dslr, the upkeep (dry box, lens cleaning, etc) of the FZ50 is much lower. Hence I don't see that people in the rush of selling it away. You would always see people selling their gears at rock bottom price if the demand is down. Given a year or two the 2nd hand price may drop to S$350, and technology advancement (maybe in future there would be a G2 with a 14 ~250mm kit lens with the ability to take video) and the falling price of the dslr.

The FZ50 is quite different from most of the current prosumer (non-dslr) cameras in the market. To me it is still one of the best all in one solution photography solution I see in the market.
    I will support that FZ50 and FZ18 are currently the most bang for bucks with the best combination of specs prosumer class cameras around. =) With FZ50 a lil more versatile with controls, and slightly bigger lens.. =), and the FZ a little wider/longer at both ends with closer macro features.

But that said, there are reasons to push for a DSLR, I find the few 100-400 extra worth it. As for upkeep, you'll be surprised, shant name him, but one meticulous FZer on this thread keeps his FZ in dry cabinet, owns an array of filters and a v nice tripod. =P

Similarly, I have friends who do not keep their DSLRs and lenses in dry-cabinets. Really even though theres less glass, I believe prosumers are equally susceptible to fungus. True that you don't open them up, but they aren't weather sealed anyway. Our DSLR lenses (except crop factor lenses) are 'sealed' too, but fungus are usually found in the inner-elements, not the outer ones.

As for the up-coming 'super versatile' prosumers, I believe we had this one discussion somewhere under the name of "PNS vs DSLR". Will there come a day where size doesn't matter in this field? Its hard to say, but I believe we more or less agreed that it won't come so soon (during our last discussion) right?

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3678910131833 ... LastLast