Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast

Thread: FZriends Thread (FZ18 & FZ28 users and ex-users group - part II)

Default Re: FZriends Thread (FZ18 & FZ28 users and ex-users group - part II)

FZriends outing #4

Time: Somewhere in the future
    Place: Somewhere in Singapore
    Style: Unforeseeable.

Interested participants
    Ombre
    navlem
    Anson

Previous: (for inspiration)
    Outing 1 - Botanic Gardens (Landscapes, Macros & Candids)
    Outing 2 - City (landscapes & street) & Marina Barrage (sunsets)
    Outing 3 - City & Orchard (Flash candids)[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by h0usefly View Post
    Tats a real fast response,thanx!
    Is a Ring light(if I'm not wrong..) required for Macro shots, or just the lens with my flash is good enough for a start?
    Ring light would be good because it takes off the shadows under the insect.

If you have a tight budget normal flash is good enough
    Looking for Photographers? | My Portfolio
    http://www.photoera.uni.cc/ | http://folio.navlem.com/

Quote Originally Posted by navlem View Post
    Ring light would be good because it takes off the shadows under the insect.

If you have a tight budget normal flash is good enough
    FZ28 cant mount external flash =P

Tats a real fast response,thanx!
    Is a Ring light(if I'm not wrong..) required for Macro shots, or just the lens with my flash is good enough for a start?
    Honestly speaking housefly, you don't need ALOT of light, you can try to make some DIY stuff on your built in flash to just channel light downwards to your target. Aluminium foils, white paper, stuff like that can bounce light down. =)

If you're not using the Raynox, you'll be some distance away, your built in flash will work fine.

Ring lights are a waste of money at this level of photography. I don't suggest it unless you have a bottomless pocket =) If you do take me shopping for lenses, lol.

Whats the last method? seriously, turn the camera upside down to shoot. =) Then the flash will be below and viola, you'll have achieve what you need to. =) or do it vertically, whichever way. haha, be creative!

----
    And woots, if Anson comes for the next outing, must share some of your pro-ness with me Why don't post if you continually follow this thread? =P
    Last edited by ombre; 21st January 2009 at 10:56 PM.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Thanx ombre! Had done some searching online and noticed that someone is selling the Raynox together with a custom lens adapter for FZ28. I need to get the adapter in order to get the DCR-250 onto my cam rite?
    He selling for $190, is it a good deal or are there any other shops out there tat I could go and get a better deal?

Thanx ombre! Had done some searching online and noticed that someone is selling the Raynox together with a custom lens adapter for FZ28. I need to get the adapter in order to get the DCR-250 onto my cam rite?
    He selling for $190, is it a good deal or are there any other shops out there tat I could go and get a better deal?
    Im not really sure but i think its cheaper buying from shops..

Correct me if im wrong...

Im not really sure but i think its cheaper buying from shops..

Correct me if im wrong...

Hmm, any place to recommand?

Hmm, any place to recommand?
    I suggest you just buy the Raynox alone with a Stepping ring (46-52mm will be fine). I'm not sure where you saw, maybe its Jim Mcgill's site. I know he sells the permaaral adapter, Which doesn't go well with the FZ28 anyway due to a wider angle on the FZ28.

A step ring is only 5-7 dollars by the way, if you purchase from some mass distributors on ebay. Raynox, you can find from Jim Mcgill's site, @ 115. Just search on Ebay you'll find it too. You can also consider getting second hands, around 85-100 dollars on the BNS forum.

Anyway, you got poisoned by the raynox that fast! Before you start buying, you might like to find out how is Raynox used. You have 2-3 main painful issues when using it.

1) Flash usage, as discussed already (this one is fairly easy to overcome)
    2) Focusing... takes Great patience. (Finding the insect is also equally hard) You may need a hands-on here... Its not about just pushing 1 button anymore... You have to shift your camera distance to fine tune focusing etc etc.
    3) Working distance (Raynox 250 forces you to focus @ approx 10cm away from your subject. This is a very tricky distance to work with. (Somehow Ricsal and Clunk have been doing great, haven't seen much of skyguy's macro work though.)

I'm not saying don't get it, just dispelling any possible "oh if I buy it, I can do this straight away", in psychology, we call this optimism bias or planning fallacy. Happens to nearly all consumers. Basically, get some hands on, and if you really like it, then go for it. I said the same thing to Clunk before he got his, and he still got it eventually.
    Last edited by ombre; 22nd January 2009 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    3) Working distance (Raynox 250 forces you to focus @ approx 10cm away from your subject. This is a very tricky distance to work with. (Somehow Ricsal and Clunk have been doing great, haven't seen much of skyguy's macro work though.)

Curious.. with the 10cm is a it physical limitation (distance from lens to subject)?

And woots, if Anson comes for the next outing, must share some of your pro-ness with me Why don't post if you continually follow this thread? =P
    Bro... not a Pro lah... I have done far more event shooting than landscape shooting....

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Bro... not a Pro lah... I have done far more event shooting than landscape shooting....
    Your Macro also power mah. I saw you "Why I love my FZ50" maybe I might be getting a 2nd Hand FZ50 coz I really want it. What do u think?
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

Quote Originally Posted by ricsal View Post
    Your Macro also power mah. I saw you "Why I love my FZ50" maybe I might be getting a 2nd Hand FZ50 coz I really want it. What do u think?
    Macro shots for larger object should not be a problem from the FZ50, but for small item may pose a challenge. Until now I have not use the Raynox 250, so cannot comment if it would help...

How's your FZ18 in macro shots?

actually i have posted one before... at the 1st fz thread... but the bee is out of focus, and the focus is on the petal... u can use tat as a preview, but keep in mind the petal is in focus instead of the bee, due to wrong distance tat i adjust... overall, raynox is fun to have, but need some practices and patience.

Hi hOusefly, I bought my DCR-250 for $120 from MS Colour in AMK a few weeks ago while I was in S/pore. I spent hours running around finding that none were available everywhere else. As ombre says an adapter is only about $7-8.
    They do take a lot of fiddling about with, and insects are not very co-operative.
    I am still in the new stages of learning how to use it but all the mucking about and frustrations to me is all worthwhile when you get that really sharp closeup shot. I really enjoy looking for spiders, I have given up chasing butterflies for a while and I am looking forward to the beginning of the dry season here in Darwin when the dragon-flies make their appearance.
    I suggest you go to an FZer outing and get one of the macro users to give you a run through the technique, Ricsal is a whiz, see if you can team up with him.
    Ex-FZ 28 Sony a330 SAM 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM 4-5.6/55-200 DCR250

its over price,

in clubsnap a raynox is about $90, and the step up ring from 46mm to 52mm is less than $5... so u should look for things below $95 if 2nd hand... for 1st hand, try to get below $120, the price have drop abit for raynox

Found this little fella behind bathroom door.

Had a bit of a play with contrast in Picassa , still not happy with sharpness but it was still moving and was hand held.
    Ex-FZ 28 Sony a330 SAM 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM 4-5.6/55-200 DCR250

Some pictures I took today.

Thanx guys for all the inputs! Lucky had asked u all here before buying from Mcgill..Will go to MS Colour to check things out..
    Can I double check, is a step up ring also known as the adapter to fit the lens onto my cam?? Sorry, very new to this hobby and kinda confused with these jargons..

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Event shooting = pro.. ^^ Anyway your shots are nice lar. Next time must ask me when you go for shoots, especially places where there are pretty showgirls! ^^

Anyway about the raynox, yea the focusing distance is more or less around 10cm... varies abit with your focusing and zoom, but I believe its definitely within 10-20cm range. 10cm is the closest focus distance apparently also optimal quoted by Raynox, but actually you can still go abit closer...

Some pictures I took today.

1) Nice, HDR Attempt? if yes, please bring the water details back in... a little glaring.
    2) Abit too cliche... haha.
    3) Nice again, push the contrast more! MORE COLORS! Favorite of the 3... wonder if you could have afforded a wider composition?

Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Found this little fella behind bathroom door.

Had a bit of a play with contrast in Picassa , still not happy with sharpness but it was still moving and was hand held.
    Its getting there Rob, you're getting good at it. =)

You can't expect too much sharpness as you're using a Raynox, its an attachment lens after all, not a pure macro lens. This is already quite reasonable.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast