Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 131821222324252833 ... LastLast

Thread: FZriends Thread (FZ18 & FZ28 users and ex-users group - part II)

Default Re: FZriends Thread (FZ18 & FZ28 users and ex-users group - part II)

Hello and welcome to the thread Mr Wabbit, your reasoning for buying the FZ 28 is very sound, I went through the same process and have since thought about upgrading to a DSLR but only for a fleeting moment. I will only upgrade when I know I am pushing the boundaries of the FZ28 and that is still a very long way off.
    When you get to Singapore I suggest you try to meet up with some of the FZers on one of their outings, the tips and advice from the fellow users are invaluable and sometimes they have some surplus gear to sell at cheap cheap prices.
    The outings I have been on were great fun and even if you cannot make it to one with 8 to 10 FZers a smaller event with one or two others is still worth while.
    Keep posting and hope to meet you soon.
    Ex-FZ 28 Sony a330 SAM 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM 4-5.6/55-200 DCR250

Good shots skyguy. Framing cant be any better.

Too bad I can't go for the outing, I work on saturdays....

As for the diffuser... I noticed that you folded it into half... try cutting the 2 slices apart, and putting them further apart, will work alot better =).

I'm thinking of a way to DIY a ring flash diffuser... honestly speaking, you don't need the flash to reach the bottom in a full ring, just need it to come from the 2 sides to get fill effect. Will share when I've time and succeeded.

One more thing about the TCon.. you're getting a 52mm one? which is that? That might cause light-loss (unless the mount frame is really thin), which is actually equals to vignetting. Vignetting isn't about seeing cut off corners at the edges, but also slight darkening. In the case of conversion lenses, vignetting also implies sharpness loss, as theres not enough glass at the sides to focus the details accurately. Layman-ly speaking.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

canon TC DC52 ... 52mm thread 2.4x

got to try out tml and see if there is vignette and how bad is the image... if both is ok, then i buy
    ztphotography
    Nikon D90 | Nikon D600 | Canon ixus 120IS

Quote Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
    Firstly, a Big Big thank you to all the regulars who have been posting in this particular thread. You've no idea how helpful your inputs have been for my decision to get a FZ28. Reading through the posts from the old and current FZ28 threads for the past 2 weeks, I've come to learn about the pros and cons of getting a prosumer camera, and the FZ28.

I'm in Hong Kong now, and will be here for another 2 months. My initial intention was to get a Canon 450D, which was further complicated by more advices from well-meaning friends. This lead to a more confusion, and shaken resolute. Being my first camera, and my first plunge into amatuer photography, there's always the "oh this is good... oh that is better..hmmm.. that is good as well.." tendencies. As I went further with the advices, the prices went up as well. Just like a kid in a toy store, I was awe struck, and I started stretching the budget.

Fortunately, common sense won, and I listed out what I felt was most important, and my own limitations. I decided I was not ready to get a DSLR. The learning curve wouldn't be as steep for a prosumer, and I can pick up the basics with it. This will give me time to evaluate my interest further, before blowing hard-earned cash on a DSLR. Anyways, let's be honest, no kid will stop with just one toy. Definitely, this will not be my first and last camera. But a good approach will be a sensible one.

Many thanks to the contributors in this thread. I was really excited about landing my hands on the FZ28. I was reading through forums after forums, both local and HK, for indicative prices, and recommended stores to buy from. My chinese certainly improved heaps through reading the HK forums. AND FINANALLY, I BOUGHT MY FZ28!

Price: HKD$2,260, about SGD$452 (Grey import)
    Extra battery :HKD$80 (third party)
    8gb Class 6: HKD$125

I tried getting a UV filter (46mm) and N/D (46mm) filter for a very basic set-up, but I've no luck. Seems like some of the shops I've visited do not carry 46mm anymore. Can anyone advise me on this. Am I going in the right direction? I apologise for these questions for I'm a complete noob.

Thank you again!!! Cheers! I'll have a good time snapping away in HK!
    Wooo that was cheap, I was at HK last week for holiday. I got mine from M'sia and cost abt S$530.

PS: Skyguy, I have PM you.

- wide angle convertor [1 buyer](done)
    - mini outing [1 participant]
    - diffuser material gives away

ok... the wide angle convertor is done...

ok another news... i meeting the tele convertor seller 2pm at jurong pt starbuck.. so the mini outing will be around 2.30pm
    Last edited by skyguy; 1st May 2009 at 10:38 AM.
    ztphotography

Quote Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
    So wat i'm trying to say, not just learn photography, also have to learn photoshop skill. When u are at the shop looking for filter, the shop assistant may let u try some other effect filter, when u first see the effect it may seem wow, very good, but something this effect can be obtain from photoshop.. so buy only filter that u really need and are useful

Note taken Skyguy. You're right. It's a balance between the both since the advent of digital technology. Depending on whether a person is a purist or an adopter, arguments abound. However, if the software can attain the goal in the absence of the hardware, why not. That'll save me some money for the filters i truly require.

[QUOTE=Clunk;5044130]When you get to Singapore I suggest you try to meet up with some of the FZers on one of their outings, the tips and advice from the fellow users are invaluable and sometimes they have some surplus gear to sell at cheap cheap prices.

That I'll most definitely do. Thank you for the invitation Mr. Clunk. It's nice to put a face to the people in this thread, and learn from the fellow experienced FZers. I am completely inspired by the macro shots in this thread. This is definitely one area I want to explore.

[QUOTE=yhw22;5044357]Wooo that was cheap, I was at HK last week for holiday. I got mine from M'sia and cost abt S$530.

Mongkok is a good place to investigate to get indicative prices for both authorised imports and parallel imports (grey imports). Exit Mongkok station, and head towards Sai Yeung Choi Street. Did my homework from a few other HK sites (mainly in chinese, by HK consumers) to determine the most reputable shops, and the current price bargains for each store. So, the next time you're in HK, pop by Mongkok. However be careful, as some of these stores are questionable, and a slaughter house for tourists. Avoid Nathan Road.

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome, and your invaluable advice. I've started experimenting this morning. Quite disastrous I must say. I've decided to head straight back to the operating manual. I couldn't get pass the "Setting the Menu" section, without having the itch to point and shoot at everything else outside the apartment.

Have a great weekend! Cheers!

canon TC DC52 ... 52mm thread 2.4x

got to try out tml and see if there is vignette and how bad is the image... if both is ok, then i buy
    You try ba, make sure you can focus to infinity... the TC DC52 is made for the Canon G2 and short zoom models. those 3x sort with small lens. So yea, its not exactly made for a superzoom class camera.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    You try ba, make sure you can focus to infinity... the TC DC52 is made for the Canon G2 and short zoom models. those 3x sort with small lens. So yea, its not exactly made for a superzoom class camera.
    hmmm i see... will try that... so i suppose to get a sharp subject when focus to infinity i guess
    ztphotography

Quote Originally Posted by navlem View Post
    Hey Justin,

I'm interested in meeting up with you for the outing

Let me know the time and venue to meet.
    mini outing
    meeting place: Chinese garden station
    time: 2.30pm
    ztphotography

Here are some birdy photos from the Chinese Garden Mini Outing

Last but not least, skyguy in action!
    Looking for Photographers? | My Portfolio
    http://www.photoera.uni.cc/ | http://folio.navlem.com/

nice shot navlem, look like ur lens is really good for bird shooting, look quite sharp from here...

anyway, the tele convertor deal today didn't go through smoothly, it wasn't as good as i expected... so next on my list olympus 1.7x... haha...

i'm still editting my photo... alot of things to edit...
    ztphotography

nice shot navlem, look like ur lens is really good for bird shooting, look quite sharp from here...

anyway, the tele convertor deal today didn't go through smoothly, it wasn't as good as i expected... so next on my list olympus 1.7x... haha...

i'm still editting my photo... alot of things to edit...
    Hi Skyguy, are you thinking new or second-hand? Please keep me informed cuz I am after one when I get there.
    Were you worried about snakes when you were in the long grass by the lake?

Also, nice shots Melvan, I like the bridge over the stream shot, very nice!
    Ex-FZ 28 Sony a330 SAM 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM 4-5.6/55-200 DCR250

Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Hi Skyguy, are you thinking new or second-hand? Please keep me informed cuz I am after one when I get there.

haha ok, 2nd hand is rather rare these days... so will be looking for 1st hand... so far there is 3 fz user that wanna get tele con, u, yhw and me... so hopefully i could get a good price if i told the sales person that i gonna get 3... will keep u guys inform about the tele

yea, i was quite worried that there will be snake or some big size ants... so before i set up my tripod i was like stepping around making sure its clear... and after the shot, quickly move away from tat spot...haha

just finish editting 14 good shot.. many more to go
    Last edited by skyguy; 3rd May 2009 at 10:08 AM.
    ztphotography

Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post

Thanks for the comment. I had the idea in my head when i passed that scene. Turns out to be the way I want it to be

I went into the grass area too, but because I was wearing slippers, my feet were infested and bitten by red ants, so I got out of there quickly. Lucky skyguy is wearing shoes :P

haha yea... i will never go out photo shoot with slipper... i find that shoe is more comfortable and no worries about the terrain...

anyway i have check with a few reputable shop for the Tcon17... but seem like all the shop dun have that convertor... so i won't be able to try out to see the quality... so i guess we have to ask ombre for advise on that as he use it before... or borrow from vinze to try out... as for the price its as stated below.

ms colour - $180
    cathay photo - $140
    alan photo - check again on monday

anyway i'm still editting photo... now it have reach 28photo already... i think i'm going to flood this forum soon... haha, there will be at least 6 post of photo from me
    ztphotography

spot this monitor lizard, its about 2/3 meter long, quite scary, didn't get a good shot for this creature

this is just a joke

The chinese words mean "newton"... was thinking he is the chinese version of newton, very seldom get to see people reading or doing stuff under a tree
    ztphotography

this poor little collared kingfisher has been traumatized by me the whole evening... chasing the same kingfisher whole evening going from branches to branches

ztphotography

white vented myna

barn swallow

Changeable Lizard aka Calotes versicolor aka oriental garden lizard
    ztphotography

and then there is infrared and landscape... find that the noise is still quite bad after putting it to slow shutter speed... so i guess FZ 18 can shoot infrared but won't get the best effect like those dslr... if u dun mind the noise and still like infrared, can go for it bah

i have posted slightly more photo at this website...so tat wouldn't flood this board:
    http://thisstarbelongtosky.blogspot.com/
    ztphotography

Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 131821222324252833 ... LastLast