Thread: Little Blossom.

Default Little Blossom.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like feedback on composition. I have composed the picture in this way trying to show the beauty and color of the flower, trying to make the flower stand out from the background.

I took this picture using ISO 100, macro mode on my Canon Powershot E1, no editing done. So i apologize for noobish photo, just trying to improve my photos along the way.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Just trying to capture the beauty of everyday object seen so frequently, yet so many people just walk pass it without even noticing something beautiful among them, always complaining about the bad side of life and what "sh*t" they been through.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    5pm on a Sunday evening, the sun was directly below and behind me, and it was windy(which explains the slightly blurred details).

Default Re: Little Blossom.

Focus what you need to focus..like focus on the flower..
    For starters..composed on a single subject and not get the whole area behind the subject since you want to use macro mode.

Engaged with your subject..get close to your subject..

Try again and you will see what i mean.

First up, since there was big wind and your subject was moving, why not adopt a higher ISO for faster shutter speed?
    However the blur doesn't seem to come from movement, more likely it was not focused properly. Either that, or your camera gives soft pictures.
    Next, I find the flowers popping into the frame on the top right side out of place. Your composition doesn't seem to display the beauty of that flower though. And you said you were trying to show the colour of the flower? I didn't get that. About making your subject stand out from the background, I'd say practice on your focusing first and probably open up the aperture.

noted. thanks ! is there any tip for focusing , as i am using auto focus and dont have access to manual focus? The setting for "Evaluative, centered weight avg and spot " does changing this help in any focusing or is it for the exposure instead ?

cos when i try to focus on the flower, my camera is actually focus on the background leaves that are close to the center, at the end of the flower stalk.
    Last edited by sup3rm2n; 18th January 2009 at 01:26 AM.

That's the exposure metering. It doesn't relate to focusing.

You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_metering

For focusing, you should select the focus point that you want the object of interest to be at. I believe there are 9 focus points in e1.

really ? i didnt know that, hmmm .. i think its time to go back to the user manual.