Thread: how to remove exif data

Default how to remove exif data

hi guys, i'd like to find out if there is any way i can remove or hide my exif data using lightroom or photoshop? thanks

Default Re: how to remove exif data

Save for web.

Of course, a quick google for "how to remove exif data" would have told you that too. But I guess some people are too lazy to search, even if it's in the forum guidelines.
    Alpha

thats what i did actually, but the results returned mostly recommended 3rd party software or methods. Even the save for web function has a pretty nasty reputation for degrading the photos.

photoshop and lightroom do not design to do such thing.
    there are softwares specialize doing this.

if you insist using photoshop and not using save as web method,

just cut and paste the whole image into a new document, save it, the exif data will be lost forever.
    Last edited by catchlights; 17th January 2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by minimizor View Post
    hi guys, i'd like to find out if there is any way i can remove or hide my exif data using lightroom or photoshop? thanks
    Hiding doesn't help at all, whatever is in the file can be read in one way or the other.
    "Save for web" allows you to adjust the quality and also the amount of EXIF data to be kept. If you select "No metadata" in the dialog box (CS4 here) then the image will be stripped off everything. The other way is what catchlights mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Save for web.

Of course, a quick google for "how to remove exif data" would have told you that too. But I guess some people are too lazy to search, even if it's in the forum guidelines.
    Of course, a quick google for "Forum" would have told that this is an online discussion site. But I guess some smart people are just too good at going around chanting "search google, you lazy bum!"

Save for web.

Give ppl a break man! Do not assume ppl are lazy!

I use Irfanview, and before saving, there are check boxes to keep EXIF data, IPTC data, JPEG comment etc.

For me, just uncheck the box in order NOT to save the EXIF data.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    I use Irfanview, and before saving, there are check boxes to keep EXIF data, IPTC data, JPEG comment etc.

For me, just uncheck the box in order NOT to save the EXIF data.
    same here..:0

Quote Originally Posted by minimizor View Post
    thats what i did actually, but the results returned mostly recommended 3rd party software or methods. Even the save for web function has a pretty nasty reputation for degrading the photos.
    at web size,

what do you care about degrading the photos?

if not web size, but to strip the exif data for better storage, i suggest not to do this. there are 8000 reasons to keep exif data, but few to discard - when it comes to keeping photos.

his photos must be DAMN good, that he wants to hide the settings he used, so no-one can copy him!
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    his photos must be DAMN good, that he wants to hide the settings he used, so no-one can copy him!
    nah, some places have posting restrictions

stripping the exif data does help with file size limits, etc. i do it myself too for web size. nothing wrong with that.

I save for web.... but there is no issues with the picture quality.. it's still quite good.

Make sure you do a proper USM after resizing....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I guess you must be DAMN proud poking fun at people with genuine question. Maybe you should keep clear of newbie section if you are so DAMN sure as-if you know everything but shows nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    I guess you must be DAMN proud poking fun at people with genuine question. Maybe you should keep clear of newbie section if you are so DAMN sure as-if you know everything but shows nothing.
    You really should grow a sense of humor instead of making yourself look like a fool.
    Alpha

in LR during export
    in the windows > metadata > check minimize embedded metadata

You really should grow a sense of humor instead of making yourself look like a fool.
    I certainly don't see any jokes in that statement, more of a sarcasm. As for what you assumed TS as lazy in the 2nd post, that's definitely an insult.

Save for web.

I certainly don't see any jokes in that statement, more of a sarcasm. As for what you assumed TS as lazy, that's definitely an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by nostagia View Post
    I certainly don't see any jokes in that statement, more of a sarcasm. As for what you assumed TS as lazy, that's definitely an insult.
    up to you. it' a forum with rules. if you think it's wrong to get people to follow the rules, to teach them how to fish instead of spoonfeeding them, then tough luck.
    Alpha