Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Film Dead?

Default Re: Is Film Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    I hope film is dead.
    I don't like the thought of having something alive wiggling around inside my camera
    The animals contributing to the gelatin emulsion are pretty thoroughly killed. But does anyone know whether the gelatin used for film (and prints) is halal?

Haha. I hope film will last...

I'm shooting 60% film now although I have a DSLR. It's so fun, although costly if you add up all your developing and film cost.

Quote Originally Posted by enivre View Post

So why do I still shoot film? After shooting personal work in both digital and film I decided film is the way to go as it has an intangible look which digital sometimes lacks. Hard to put my finger on it, but maybe when you see the photos you might understand.
    That's because Film still has a greater dynamic range than digital cameras.

Your photos are really fantastic!

Did you turn the giant wheel at Shangrila?

The last time I was there, I and 3 others (females) managed to spin it just for the fun of it.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

nooooo way, film is gonna be dead. actually, film is evergreen.
    For this reason, I am keeping my Nikon FM2 for many many years...
    maybe in the future, pass it down to my grandchildren.

Its just a totally different feeling when shooting film, esp the moment you see your negs for the first time..

if you shoot film in the early days, you should have know how much the popularity of film have shrink.

during the day when I shoot with film, there were at least 10 types of films in my fridge at anytime, 35mm, 120 and 4x5, transparency, b&w neg, color neg.

and today, I still keeping two film cameras, and have about 50 rolls of film in my fridge.
    but many types of film already discontinued.

since most major camera manufactures has already discontinued making film cameras, film users will keep shrinking. that is the fact.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by iNotion View Post
    nooooo way, film is gonna be dead. actually, film is evergreen.
    For this reason, I am keeping my Nikon FM2 for many many years...
    maybe in the future, pass it down to my grandchildren.
    Am still holding on to my Nikon F2 Photomic.It's a work horse, an extensively used
    and favoured camera during the Veitnam War years.If memory serves me right it once
    saved a photojournalist by taking a bullet.

Will only switch to digital when film finally demise.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

I doubt most young photographer nowadays know how to use a traditional manual slr (without motor drive & AF motor)....

I'm glad film is still hanging on.

It is my dream that I ultimately graduate to film. The depth and essence of the subject when using film is a little surreal to me. You can feel the picture.

Unfortunately, I only have a Powershot now but once I have the money, I'll start my climb towards film.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I doubt most young photographer nowadays know how to use a traditional manual slr (without motor drive & AF motor)....
    I agreed with you but there are also a lot of youngsters picking up a SLR camera and learning how to use it.
    In 10 or 20 years time, the latest nikon or canon digital cameras today will become obsolete models. But i can't say the same about manual slr camera, i believe it will be one of the classic usable camera till then. My FM2 was 1st introduced in 1983 and it's still going strong till today after near to 3 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    I hope film is dead.
    I don't like the thought of having something alive wiggling around inside my camera

film is special. there's a certain look which can't be easily replicated with digital.

having said that, i feel that film and digital complement each other. but for those who do photography exclusively as a hobby, film is a DIE DIE MUST TRY.

for those in the commercial field and who shoot a lot, film may be less practical.

Film ain't dead.

It's just very niche now, that's all.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by Velvetine View Post

It is my dream that I ultimately graduate to film. ....

Unfortunately, I only have a Powershot now but once I have the money, I'll start my climb towards film.

nonsense. it's far more accessible than u think

what "graduate"? dun underestimate urself dude/dudette. film is not some pinnacle of photography (ok lah, large format would be, to me...). u can get a film system for far cheaper than even an entry level DSLR system.

if u dun have to shoot much, if u dun need ur pic 5 min after u press the shutter, film can meet ur needs. anyway, i do a rough breakdown for u...

Body: entry level 35mm film SLR $200
    Lens: 50mm prime $100 plus brand new
    Lens: 35mm prime $400 plus brand new

batteries>> under 10 bux
    film>> $3-4 per roll, for starters. u can get better film when u are comfortable.

the prices are on the high side, btw. u can save more if u get 2nd hand. i've seen entry level nikon SLR going for under $200 at OP, with a kit lens. u'd pay that much or more for a film compact back when film was still mainstream.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...c&id=528582969

this is shot on my first roll of slide film. hosted on facebook, which screws up pix. the positives look wayy better than what u'd see on the link. everything was shot with my nikon F70 and 50mm F1.8

I agreed with you but there are also a lot of youngsters picking up a SLR camera and learning how to use it.
    In 10 or 20 years time, the latest nikon or canon digital cameras today will become obsolete models. But i can't say the same about manual slr camera, i believe it will be one of the classic usable camera till then. My FM2 was 1st introduced in 1983 and it's still going strong till today after near to 3 decades.
    True... but last time a traditional SLR user often process their own negative (to control the details).... but now people just scan to a digital format & do PP from there...

Sad to say the traditional way of taking photo.... may never be the same...

My Yashica Electro GS 35, made in 1970, is still going strong as well.

Here is some samples from a 1970 camera shot last year:

It is all Rangefinders with film on my flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnosticgary/

Is film dead?

Not yet, but the writing is on the wall. It's just a matter of time.

Will it die completely?

Eventually, yes.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Sad to say the traditional way of taking photo.... may never be the same...
    C'mon, give it a break. You can insert anything you want instead of "taking photo" and start crying about the "dieing art of [insert whatever you want]". Times are just changing. Choose the tool according the target / purpose. If you see "traditional" as "no editing / tweaking" then you are wrong anyway. Wet post-processing is changing the picture in the same way as Photoshop today. Editing pictures (also called "altering" or "counterfeiting" depending on context) is not a result of digital era.
    Just took the pictures for company D&D with the topic "Back to the Oldies" - that's a must for film! Pictures turned out great and many people were surprised about the colours and quality when I told them that it's this "old-stylish film". Some saw me changing the rolls and made

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    C'mon, give it a break. You can insert anything you want instead of "taking photo" and start crying about the "dieing art of [insert whatever you want]". Times are just changing. Choose the tool according the target / purpose. If you see "traditional" as "no editing / tweaking" then you are wrong anyway. Wet post-processing is changing the picture in the same way as Photoshop today. Editing pictures (also called "altering" or "counterfeiting" depending on context) is not a result of digital era.
    Just took the pictures for company D&D with the topic "Back to the Oldies" - that's a must for film! Pictures turned out great and many people were surprised about the colours and quality when I told them that it's this "old-stylish film". Some saw me changing the rolls and made
    Abit of correction... even in traditional film shooting... "editing" is possible.. they just do it on the negative before developing... It is a old style and take alot of time to master...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Is film dead?

Not yet, but the writing is on the wall. It's just a matter of time.

Will it die completely?

Eventually, yes.
    for amateur 35mm? maybe. but i thought pros still use larger formats?

are u saying this to make pple hoard 35mm film?

then again, film has pretty much stagnated and not much incentives for companies to further develop (no pun intended) the tech. while digital will constantly improve

Abit of correction... even in traditional film shooting... "editing" is possible.. they just do it on the negative before developing... It is a old style and take alot of time to master...
    Did I say something different?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast