Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrifyingly bad scan by Fotohub

Thumbs down Horrifyingly bad scan by Fotohub

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/uploads/82694/1370.jpg
    http://gallery.clubsnap.com/uploads/82694/2-1.jpg
    http://gallery.clubsnap.com/uploads/82694/2-2.jpg

I got my medium format negative film scanned at Fotohub, and these are the horrifying results. These were cropped from a photo and you are viewing at 100%.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this kind of scan is not up to my expectation at all.
    I told them "no adjustments" and this is what i got. What's up with the articifial sharpening and halo effect?

If not for a tight deadline i would not have got my film scanned there. Is there anymore hope left in Singapore - true professionals who can discern between what a good and a bad scan? I am tired of paying premium prices, expecting premium quality, and getting this sort of rubbish back.

Default Re: Horrifyingly bad scan by Fotohub

Quote Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
    I got my medium format negative film scanned at Fotohub, and these are the horrifying results. These were cropped from a photo and you are viewing at 100%.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this kind of scan is not up to my expectation at all.
    I told them "no adjustments" and this is what i got. What's up with the articifial sharpening and halo effect?

If not for a tight deadline i would not have got my film scanned there. Is there anymore hope left in Singapore - true professionals who can discern between what a good and a bad scan? I am tired of paying premium prices, expecting premium quality, and getting this sort of rubbish back.
    At this kind of results ... you can buy a scanner and do it yourself. No need to pay premium rates for it ....

Do you have the time ??
    Touch the Moments ... Hold the colours of Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Long Thai Bean View Post
    At this kind of results ... you can buy a scanner and do it yourself. No need to pay premium rates for it ....

Do you have the time ??
    Exactly man. I would rather get my own scanner than to have my blood boil everytime i come back from labs. This only problem is that i had to meet a tight deadline and have to travel quite abit so i'm not always settled in Singapore. When i'm settled i will get a scanner and bid adieu to bad labs.

I feel sorry for the $$$ spent...
    Nikon D7000 | 18-105mm |

I feel ****ing bad for myself and my wallet. Nothing worse than someone screwing up your photos.

Fotohub just called me back and said that the halos and the artificial sharpness were due to my request for no adjustments. Can someone who has experience with professional scanners please verify this?

Maybe their idea of "no adjustments" means default scanner settings, and that would mean default sharpening settings.
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the lab.

can't see the photos . is it just me?

I had the same experience with Fotohub as well,...anything that has sky in it has halo effect. They said they have no idea.....maybe its the negative,...which i bought new anyway from a reputable store. Well..guess I am not alone on this. My buildings looks HDR! Posterized as well.

MAYBE! Damn it. I will give it one more try. If they still give me this kind of crap, then Singapore really no hope. Where to find a good lab who can produce quality results within a fast timeframe? Is there even any???

Quote Originally Posted by myopia View Post
    I had the same experience with Fotohub as well,...anything that has sky in it has halo effect. They said they have no idea.....maybe its the negative,...which i bought new anyway from a reputable store. Well..guess I am not alone on this. My buildings looks HDR! Posterized as well.
    Thats exactly what pisses me off, when they say they have no idea, OR they say its as per normal. It disappoints me to know that these are the so-called professionals working in labs whom we trust our film to. I bloody hate this halo and posterized effect. Maybe everybody else likes it except us. I really don't know... I give up.

You can try the pro lab at Adelphi Centre. Forgot the name but it's the only one.
    Boss is Mr. Tay.

Quote Originally Posted by dkuan88 View Post
    You can try the pro lab at Adelphi Centre. Forgot the name but it's the only one.
    Boss is Mr. Tay.
    FotoElite is it? Haha, they also got Halo effect. that's why i stopped going there.

what film you used? and who did the processing?

and do you have a lope and lightbox to see is the halo already in the film?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Feel sorry for you. Such standards are totally unacceptable from such a reputable company.

Well,yYou might wanna try the services of one of the CSers, nick heckcare.der.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409548

http://filmscanningservice.wordpress.com/

He does great scanning and his rates are affordable. I've sent him some stuffs to scan and I'm delighted with the results.
    Very prompt and friendly chap! I think he's also one of the winners of last year's SYPA.
    Last edited by Lomo; 15th January 2009 at 08:14 PM.

V.bad V.bad
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    what film you used? and who did the processing?

and do you have a lope and lightbox to see is the halo already in the film?
    I used Fuji 160asa film... the most common one. And i bought it from Cathay too. Can't be something wrong with my film. I don't think there is any wrong with the processing but scanning. The last time i fought with Fotohub was over 35mm film. Besides the awful halo effect, when u zoom in at 100% there are FUGLY pixels OMG. I demanded for a refund and told them this is not acceptable. They said, their scanner is like that all along. WTH? Then i went to Kim Tian and scanned the same exact roll, it turned out professionally with no pixels or halo.

Trivia for you all also : Kim Tian's scan is larger in pixel dimension than Fotohub's. So why should you pay more for Fotohub?!

So this goes to show that the fault lies in Fotohub's scanning. Time to upgrade their damned scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomo View Post
    Feel sorry for you. Such standards are totally unacceptable from such a reputable company.

Well,yYou might wanna try the services of one of the CSers, nick heckcare.der.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409548

http://filmscanningservice.wordpress.com/

He does great scanning and his rates are affordable. I've sent him some stuffs to scan and I'm delighted with the results.
    Very prompt and friendly chap! I think he's also one of the winners of last year's SYPA.
    Sounds good!! Thanks for the lobang!

Sounds good!! Thanks for the lobang!
    No problem! Let us know the results if you decided to get this nice CSer to scan for you.

I used Fuji 160asa film... the most common one. And i bought it from Cathay too. Can't be something wrong with my film. I don't think there is any wrong with the processing but scanning. The last time i fought with Fotohub was over 35mm film. Besides the awful halo effect, when u zoom in at 100% there are FUGLY pixels OMG. I demanded for a refund and told them this is not acceptable. They said, their scanner is like that all along. WTH? Then i went to Kim Tian and scanned the same exact roll, it turned out professionally with no pixels or halo.

Trivia for you all also : Kim Tian's scan is larger in pixel dimension than Fotohub's. So why should you pay more for Fotohub?!

So this goes to show that the fault lies in Fotohub's scanning. Time to upgrade their damned scanners.
    What's the name of this Kim Tian place?

I had negative experience with Fotohub some time back and stopped using them. Many years ago before they went digital I was very happy with their services.

hmmm, does the TS has the original photo printed? If yes, he should bring the photo and the scanned copy to FOTOHUB for a refund.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast