View Poll Results: Managers, what if you got retrenched?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pursue legal action against your ex-company

    2 5.88%
  • Look for another job quickly, equiv or higher pay

    12 35.29%
  • Look for another job quickly, will take a significant pay-cut

    15 44.12%
  • Drive a Taxi

    2 5.88%
  • Start your own business - Photography related

    6 17.65%
  • Start your own business - not Photography related. What trade?

    6 17.65%
  • Sell your investment properties+shares etc, live off the money

    1 2.94%
  • You got rental income / sideline to see you through

    1 2.94%
  • Retire - your pay-out + CPF + savings etc should see you through

    1 2.94%
  • Sell your current property, rent or buy a smaller property

    3 8.82%
  • Others - care to share?

    4 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 100

Thread: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Post Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    People in managerial positions, who according to current trends are most at risk of losing their jobs. What would you do, or what are you doing in case you got retrenched?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    get a MBA, or a second master in a different discipline...

    or

    keep sending resume... try for overseas posting.



    I believe this recession is over reacted, and with all major media trying to sensationalise news

    by end of Q2 I believe a lot of corporate will start to realise they have over reacted and hiring will being again to get the top notch execs into their firms.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by chisiang View Post
    get a MBA, or a second master in a different discipline...

    or

    keep sending resume... try for overseas posting.



    I believe this recession is over reacted, and with all major media trying to sensationalise news

    by end of Q2 I believe a lot of corporate will start to realise they have over reacted and hiring will being again to get the top notch execs into their firms.
    I wish I could go for further studies...but I need to put the food on the table for my family...

    My choice will be find a job at equ pay, then if not, get a job with paycuts...

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    why wait, make yourself valuable to your company and you will not be retrenched
    simple right

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    I agree, a lot of folks will have to put food on the table. Being in managerial position may mean that there is a lot less open positions out there. Front line workers are needed more than managers and high level execs. Kind of sick to think that you work hard to get promoted then to get terminated.

    Quote Originally Posted by AMediaLuz View Post
    I wish I could go for further studies...but I need to put the food on the table for my family...

    My choice will be find a job at equ pay, then if not, get a job with paycuts...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    that's the risk of being in the managerial position.

    But instead of waiting for another job with similar pay, can consider having 2 jobs. A bit xiong but should be able to make ends meet.

    nevertheless, I think money management is the key. Need to cut back on spending.

    Sometimes I really respect my vehicle mechanic who can support a family with 3 teenage kids and wife not working and still can survive in our expensive city

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    why wait, make yourself valuable to your company and you will not be retrenched
    simple right
    Sometimes, this is easier said than done.

    :Later,

  8. #8

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    if i were a manager, i would diversify and take up modelling

    you can sign up at the sion school of modelling anytime.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    A relative of mine used to be a supervisor and he and his manager got retrenched together. In the end, they are now doing very well selling seafood at Bedok Road. Although not operating on Zhenfa's scale, their stall has very delicious menus.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    why wait, make yourself valuable to your company and you will not be retrenched
    simple right
    When business is down and collection is running bad......... anything and everything u do will be in vain.........
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if i were a manager, i would diversify and take up modelling

    you can sign up at the sion school of modelling anytime.
    When u aare in your prime......... the physical side may not be that appealing.......
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  12. #12
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    When u aare in your prime......... the physical side may not be that appealing.......
    Ah you mean in your 'prime' or 'PAST your prime'? heheh

    Hope you not a copywriter leh...like this sure shortlisted for retrenching heh.

  13. #13
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    When business is down and collection is running bad......... anything and everything u do will be in vain.........
    ah.. that is the best time to show your value

    think out of the box and come up with solutions that will benefit the company
    the spotlight will then shine on you and your bosses will notice

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Ah you mean in your 'prime' or 'PAST your prime'? heheh

    Hope you not a copywriter leh...like this sure shortlisted for retrenching heh.
    No lah, I'm not a copywriter..... guys between age 40-45 are at their peak in terms of career, but their look, I think its starting to go downhill....heheehe....... gals will disagree with this, because they are just staring at your 'fat' wallet..... hehehe......
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  15. #15
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    No lah, I'm not a copywriter..... guys between age 40-45 are at their peak in terms of career, but their look, I think its starting to go downhill....heheehe....... gals will disagree with this, because they are just staring at your 'fat' wallet..... hehehe......
    hello what go down...I am 46 leh heheh I rather think I still got a fighting chance physically ! heheh....

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    ah.. that is the best time to show your value

    think out of the box and come up with solutions that will benefit the company
    the spotlight will then shine on you and your bosses will notice
    Then I could become the Deputy Managing Director liao..... hehehhe......

    It will defintely be nice to have that sparkle at the crucial time.... but sometimes, our hands, legs, mouth are all tied... there is practically nothing we could do. Especially when banks are so cautious and edggy about your coy performance, any negative news, straightaway they are at your doorsteps to 'discuss' your repayment terms....... of course, they have hidden their shotguns somewhere in their bags.... and mine, look at their SMILE!!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    The thing is that once a retrenchment exercise has been decided and/or made known, the higher ups usually already have an idea on how many to axe, when and who to axe. So whatever you do at this point in time is already moot. It's already late in the ball game, so to say.

    :Later,

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    hello what go down...I am 46 leh heheh I rather think I still got a fighting chance physically ! heheh....
    I think u are still single right? hehhee....... 'Wang lao hu'??? Of course u will be the crouching tiger..... if u got a wife and 3 young kids growing up and 2 houses to pay and driving a car, u will become a pussy cat!! hahahhaa........
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  19. #19
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    ah.. that is the best time to show your value

    think out of the box and come up with solutions that will benefit the company
    the spotlight will then shine on you and your bosses will notice
    Clearly, I am happy for you that your boss is forwarding thinking, very delibrate in making decisions, who never resort to letting go of people at the drop of the hat and who is also demanding, opportunistic but fair (or that is you to your employees heh) ... if only my boss had those traits then I would not have to toss my bye bye letter to his face recently bad as the economy is.

    Taking your example for instance, if the solution you dream up to save your bacon is good and does not cost money to implement, probably you'll get a shot to try it and keep your fingers crossed it will bear fruit ...on the short term.

    But when company fund's tight and your solution cost the company money, risky, takes too long to quantify and is an untried idea, they just might take the idea, fire you and delegate someone cheaper to try it out .....or hire a cheaper new staff to do the work......or wait till they have the funds to do it later when the economical climate improves to take the risk......minus you.

    Short sighteness in business is still very common in Singapore. There are exceptions to the rule but it's rare.....even in good times.

  20. #20
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    I think u are still single right? hehhee....... 'Wang lao hu'??? Of course u will be the crouching tiger..... if u got a wife and 3 young kids growing up and 2 houses to pay and driving a car, u will become a pussy cat!! hahahhaa........
    har? what has that to do with being physically fit or looking good? Just have to work it into your schedule if it is of importances to you. Even a workaholic has to be mindful of his health if he want to "pau si pau hai" to have a family, get a car, a house or two and then some... if not weak health will just make that impossible as you age. heh.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •