Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: say, your baby graduated from which campus?

Default Re: say, your baby graduated from which campus?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    No, what I mean is no matter what how hard the schools try to do, the parent like to see, these kids are still kids.

call it campus as they wishes, it is still all the kiddos inside a kindergarten, nothing will change.
    I think the kiddos are now called "campers" as they are now in campus.

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    I did not have the opportunity to attend kindergarten. It should be very fun.
    You'll experience your first contact with opposite sex.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    a wise man once told me that education was not all about applying what you learnt

it was meant to train the mind to think logically

whether that actually happens (be it in singapore, or any other part of the world) would depend on the individual. send two people through a certain curriculum, one might turn out understanding more; the other learns nothing. both can pass exams.

it's just a name..
    Which country's education was that wise man referring to? Could have swore that Singapore's education is more about memorisation with little thinking involved. Teachers who actually give a good grade for a non-standard answer or view are far and few between.

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    Which country's education was that wise man referring to? Could have swore that Singapore's education is more about memorisation with little thinking involved. Teachers who actually give a good grade for a non-standard answer or view are far and few between.
    there is no form of education that doesn't train the mind,

there is only education that doesn't challenge it sufficiently.

going beyond a certain basis point, one has to explore knowledge himself; if you take a look elsewhere you'll see that it's the same old same old, perhaps with a marked improvement in terms of rigidity, but it is STILL fundamentally, all based on memorisation.

are the teachers really to be blamed? for the population's fetish for science and math, where literature is not embraced but abhorred, what sort of non-standard answer would you look for in return for a question that goes "2+2"?

i don't think singapore's education is the end and the all, that's for sure, there is a long way to go. the gap is there, but it is not as yawning as we think. after all, we dictate our own experiences; more often than not the constraint is in our minds.

how many people do you know bother to go beyond examination syllabus? how many bother to chase an alternative hobby/interest in depth, and seriously? what sort of knowledge is sought? a culture of rudimentary, surface-knowledge is encouraged in our society. it takes two hands to clap, really.
    Last edited by night86mare; 15th January 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12